Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #1
Audra
Enthusiast
Audra began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Cannot view books

I have not been able to view books for some time. I updated to the latest version, and was suddenly able to view them. I don't know what my latest version IS, because I do not know where to go to check this. Now I can no longer view them. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks.
Audra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The version number is shown on the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Please provide more information. What happens when you try to open a book? Is there an error message?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:38 AM   #3
Audra
Enthusiast

Thank you. My versiobn is 3.7. When I click on view, I get a little icon at the bottom of the page with a book covered by a magnifying glass. when I click on that, nothing happens. When I hover my mouse over it, I see a small blank window (all white). There is no error message, but I also do not see the opened book.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Audra - Which operating system are you using - Linux, OSX or Windows ?

If the brown book with the magnifying glass appears in your taskbar/dock/whatever (i.e. outside the main calibre window) then that's the ebook viewer, click on it - I suspect your Operating System is opening it minimised.

calibre site ==>> calibre - E-book management

calibre user manual ==>> calibre User Manual

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or perhaps the window is off the screen?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Audra
Enthusiast

I am running Windows 10. The book/magnifying icon is on my taskbar. When I click on it, nothing happens. If the window is off the screen, how do I go about putting on one of my screens. I have two monitors.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra View Post
I am running Windows 10. The book/magnifying icon is on my taskbar. When I click on it, nothing happens. If the window is off the screen, how do I go about putting on one of my screens. I have two monitors.
Did you rearrange them (position relative to the Main), either Logically or physically?
NB I run 4 (or 3) and it puts the window on one of the existing if the 4th is off line
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 AM   #8
Audra
Enthusiast

You said the following:
Did you rearrange them (position relative to the Main), either Logically or physically?
NB I run 4 (or 3) and it puts the window on one of the existing if the 4th is off line

I am afraid I do not understand what this means at all.

My monitors are arranged 1 and 2 which determines which monitor things are on, left or right.

Do not understand what "position relative to the main" means.
Please, can you explain this further?

Thank you.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:52 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1 is typically the Main (with start menu)

by rearrange,
was: 1 below, 2 above
now: 1 on Left, 2 right
was: 1 landscape, 2 portrait
now: both landscape
or you change a monitor size or resolution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm5head.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	158868  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ducks, where does Calibre store the window position? Deleting the stored position should restore the window to somewhere visible.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Audra - this may help, the standard Window Management keyboard shortcuts ==>> Windows 10 - Window Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ducks, where does Calibre store the window position? Deleting the stored position should restore the window to somewhere visible.
in viewer.json, which is the calibre configuration folder, which can be accessed by clicking the Preferences->Miscellaneous>Open calibre configuration directory button (Alt+c).

First, make sure the viewer is not running.

Rather than editing that file I suggest renaming it to something like viewer.json.save and starting the viewer. You lose viewer preference settings and history, but should be able to use the saved file as a guide to re-establish the viewer preference settings.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Audra
Enthusiast

Thank you very much!

The link to the Windows 10 shortcuts was the most helpful. Pressing the windows and shift key together with right or left arrows got the window on one of my screens. I have to do this every time I want to view a book, so I tried renaming viewer.json and then opening a book. It still was not on the screen. But the windows shortcuts work, even though I have to do it each time.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
How are you launching the viewer? From within calibre or as a standalone application? Presumably Qt thinks your second monitor is the main one, which is why the window shows up on that by default. I dont have any experience with multi-monitor setups so I dont know how to go about convincing it to use a different monitor as the main one.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #14
Audra
Enthusiast

I am launching the viewer from inside Calibre. The window shows up on neither monitor. I would not care if it showed up on one of them. I could move it then if I needed. But when I press Shift, the Windows key, and the right arrow (twice) it finally shows up.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:36 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That just means it is opening on a third monitor, presumably, one that was connected at some time in the past.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote