Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Kobo Desktop sync deletes bookmarks

So I found a couple free ebooks on the Kobo store I wanted to check out, I went through the process of adding them to my account library and syncing them to my device through the desktop app.

I found that when I sync my device using the Kobo Desktop app, all my bookmarks (current page of books I'm reading) for epubs I have added manually, get deleted.

So effectively, I can't add any books from the Kobo store to my device without loosing my place in most of the books I'm reading... and since there is no "goto page" function yet, manually skipping back to the middle of books that don't have tables of contents is pretty darn annoying...

Anyone found a workaround for this??

Last edited by Stinger; 05-12-2010 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typos
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Find the free books at other stores and if they are DRMed load via ADE or if no DRM you can still use ADE or Calibre. You can also just drag and drop and unDRMed ePub file.

Inkmesh is a good place to look for ebooks, especially for free ones in specific formats.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Thanks Tall

Since I posted I found the python scripts to strip the ADEPT DRM from the free books so I can load them in manually myself. I just didn't want to have to do that for FREE books
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I don't even bother syncing with the Kobo software since all I have from Kobo are a handful of freebies.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
MomMann
MomMann began at the beginning.

The sync overwrites everything on the ereader - it's actually kind of obnoxious and wouldn't suggest using it (sorry you already have). If you use the 'update library' it brings in only the new books and leaves your existing bookmarks, I'm reading, etc. in place.
MomMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMann View Post
The sync overwrites everything on the ereader - it's actually kind of obnoxious and wouldn't suggest using it (sorry you already have). If you use the 'update library' it brings in only the new books and leaves your existing bookmarks, I'm reading, etc. in place.
I just tried this and it didn't work for me. I clicked 'update library' after adding another book from Kobo and while it's now on my desktop app, it's not on my reader.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

That's correct. Update library is only for updating the Desktop app against your account, which is then synced with your device.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
protodoll
protodoll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Droid RAZR
Wow. Wish I had read this BEFORE I synced.

That willl teach me to buy books from kobo and try to sync them to my device -- I lost my bookmark in a 500 page book with no chapter breakdowns.

This device seems to be one step forward, two steps back for me. Every time I find it's done something right, it mucks something else up.
protodoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
So effectively, I can't add any books from the Kobo store to my device without loosing my place in most of the books I'm reading... and since there is no "goto page" function yet, manually skipping back to the middle of books that don't have tables of contents is pretty darn annoying...

Anyone found a workaround for this??
I think so. I mean, I think it works for books without tables of contents. It definitely works for the books I've tried it with. It's also fiddly, and involves messing with the database.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote