Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Question about the Sony ebook store, DRM, multiple devices

Sorry if this is kind of disjointed.

So far, the only books I've used on my 300 are books that I already had from when I used to read on my Palm, free classics and a couple of new releases I picked up from other online ebook stores. I haven't bought anything yet from the Sony store.

So, I have a couple of questions. I know I'll need to register my 300 on the Sony store site before I can buy books, and that the books from Sony are DRM'd. My husband is considering the possibility of getting his own reader... would we be able to register both readers to the same account so that we can share books that we buy there? I'm honestly not sure if any of the books I've bought so far even have DRM, so I'm not 100% sure about how that works, exactly.

After all that, which online ebook stores would you recommend for buying bestsellers and the like, that I guess are mostly DRM free and so could be shared between 2 readers in the same household? Or is the DRM easily removed? I get why the DRM is there, to prevent rampant public sharing and all that, but I'm certainly not going to buy two copies of an ebook for two of us living in the same house, kwim?

Thanks!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Angie,

Sony allow you to have six devices registered to one account. A device is a computer or a reader. So you and your husband could have a reader each, a computer each, and two slots for later. It is easy to de-register a device from the Sony EBL software, and if you have lost a device (I deleted a virtual machine for example) then a quick mail to Sony will eliminate that too. Finally, you can name each device under your shared Sony account "Angie's reader" for example.

The Sony store currently sells books that are mostly DRM protected and in a format called LRX (the protected version of LRF). I do not know of any way to remove the DRM. The store is switching to ePub, and will most likely use the ADEPT DRM that has been removed as explained elsewhere in these forums. It sounds as if you won't need to worry about that though given you can share an account across your devices.

As to bookstores, these forums are covered in recommendations! Personally, for classics I download from MobileRead itself, for books in copyright I prefer Books On Board in the US and Waterstones in the UK.

Good luck!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
*Angie*
Bookish

Thanks so much for the reply. I don't care so much about removing DRM (nor did I want to have to go through the trouble), as long as we could share books. Do you know if we could both have the same book on our readers at the same time? Or is it only on one device at a time, which would mimic "loaning" a book, I guess?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
As you can read your ebook on your PC and on your device at the same time, I don't see why you couldn't read it on 2 different readers...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I have the same Sony eBook books on 2 readers and 3 computers and they all work fine. So no problem if you both want the same books at the same time.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Hubby and I both have 505s on one account - no problem at all sharing books.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
*Angie*
Bookish

That's awesome. Thanks everyone!