Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
turning screensavers off?

Hey, as a Sony owner who's interested in the Kindle ---

What's all this about a screensaver? Does a random picture come up every time you stop reading? Or when you turn it off? Is there any way to just turn the screensaver off and leave the screen blank when you're not reading, like on the sony? I think it would totally annoy me to have a picture there all the time. Especially if it was a totally random picture.

Now what would be cool is if you stop reading and it displays the cover of the book you're currently reading. I would be up for that.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
What's all this about a screensaver? Does a random picture come up every time you stop reading? Or when you turn it off? Is there any way to just turn the screensaver off and leave the screen blank when you're not reading, like on the sony?
Yes, a random pic comes up when the device goes into standby/sleep mode. Yes, you can turn the kindle off by holding the power slider for about 4-6 seconds. The screen will blank.

Well, it's random from a selection of 10 or so. Mostly pics of authors and some other funky stuff.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Since e-ink doesn't really need a screen saver, it's more of a reminder that the keyboard is locked and you won't accidentally change pages. Yes, a random image from a set of about 20 comes up. Either when you put the device into "saver" mode, or after XX minutes of no action. You can turn it further off, and have no image, but then it takes a little longer to turn it on. (and "off" isn't really necessary, that I know of).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Huh, this concept seems really odd to me. Dunno, maybe it's just because my Sony doesn't do it. Do kindle owners like having the "screensaver"?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I enjoy them! Many are engravings, from the era when they did those. 200-300 years ago, ya know. One had a sample (on the k1 anyway) of a part of the German Enigma code machine (wwII).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not actually a screensaver as there is nothing needing saving. What I would call it is sleep mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Many Kindle owners love those "screen savers" sit and stare at them for hours. Likely purchased the Kindle just because of them
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not actually a screensaver as there is nothing needing saving. What I would call it is sleep mode.
Are you so precise in everything you do?

Screen savers these days on PC's aren't actually screen savers either... since modern CRTs and LCD do not really experience burn in.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Huh, this concept seems really odd to me. Dunno, maybe it's just because my Sony doesn't do it. Do kindle owners like having the "screensaver"?
I liked having my own (as I do on K1 but not 2). I'm going to get yelled at but I find the stock screensavers stogy and boring.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Radnor
Radnor doesn't litterRadnor doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I liked having my own (as I do on K1 but not 2). I'm going to get yelled at but I find the stock screensavers stogy and boring.
Many of the authors are just plain ugly. I wonder why they took away the option of using our own pictures?
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
As has been mentioned, it's more like a sleep mode, and it's really not even necessary.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote