Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon to close its "LoveFilm" business in the UK

Quote:
The Lovefilm By Post DVD rental service will cease to operate on 31 October this year, its owner Amazon has said.

Amazon cited a "decreasing demand" for the discs and a growing number of customers who were streaming movies and TV series instead.

The move has irritated some fans, who argue that a wider range of films is available to rent on DVD and Blu-ray.

Lovefilm was founded in 2002 and acquired by Amazon in 2011, when it had more than 1.4 million subscribers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40925062

A victim of the success of video streaming. A few years ago LoveFilm was a huge player in the British DVD market.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-14-2017 at 10:23 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Been reading of a few disappointed customers on another forum. Users seem to find it has a better selection than the likes of Netfilx, and is better value for money, while Amazon have long stopped promoting it in favour of streaming options. For those that don't have great internet connections or still prefer physical DVD's/Blu-Rays at least there is still cinemaparadiso.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I still buy DVD's, but that's more because quite a few movies aren't available via streaming or download. I find myself downloading first and if it's not available, buy the DVD. I gave up renting DVD's a long time ago.

Streaming tends to be more for movies that I don't watch a lot, and for TV shows.

I find that a lot of movies aren't available on streaming services such as Netflix, but frequently they are available for rental via iTunes or Amazon Digital.

A lot of people no longer own a DVD player. I was a bit surprised when a friend of mine mentioned that she hadn't seen a particular movie, and after I offered to loan her my DVD, she said she didn't have a DVD player anymore. I'm actually a bit concerned that I might not be able to replace my DVD player in the future.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I still buy DVD's, but that's more because quite a few movies aren't available via streaming or download. I find myself downloading first and if it's not available, buy the DVD. I gave up renting DVD's a long time ago.

Streaming tends to be more for movies that I don't watch a lot, and for TV shows.

I find that a lot of movies aren't available on streaming services such as Netflix, but frequently they are available for rental via iTunes or Amazon Digital.

A lot of people no longer own a DVD player. I was a bit surprised when a friend of mine mentioned that she hadn't seen a particular movie, and after I offered to loan her my DVD, she said she didn't have a DVD player anymore. I'm actually a bit concerned that I might not be able to replace my DVD player in the future.
Any blu-ray player or Playstation will play DVDs. Some blu-ray players even have wifi with apps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm actually a bit concerned that I might not be able to replace my DVD player in the future.
You will be able to replace your DVD player in the future. I'm thinking it's possible you may end up buying a 4K DVD player even if you don't have a 4K TV. But 4K DVD players do play DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4K DVD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yes, I'm aware that DVD's play on blu-ray players, I've been using blu-ray players to play my DVD's for a number of years. They upscale pretty nicely. DVD/blu-ray players are becoming a commodity. I just worry that as people move more and more to digital media, i.e. streaming and download, that they will go the way of VHS players. Of course, I'm thinking 20 or more years in the future.

But you are probably right. One can still buy turn tables and VHS players on line.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You will be able to replace your DVD player in the future. I'm thinking it's possible you may end up buying a 4K DVD player even if you don't have a 4K TV. But 4K DVD players do play DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4K DVD.
There is no 4K DVD
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There is no 4K DVD
The correct name is 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Any blu-ray player or Playstation will play DVDs. Some blu-ray players even have wifi with apps.
Most computers with an optical drive will play a DVD. I say "most" because I am looking across the room at my 16 year old Dell tower with a "CD" Optical drive. I use it as my printer server and modem controller. I used to use it to print my Investment Portfolio once a week, but now I just use my Chromebook. My wife's Lenovo and her old Toshiba (needs a hard drive) will also play DVDs and in the Den there are 2 (HP and a 2nd Toshiba) with DVD optical drives and downstairs my middle boy is in his "Bat/Man (whatever)" cave working the Market, FORX and Bitcoin on a super duper computer with an optical drive.

There are a myriad of ways to connect the computers to a TV set, including wiring it direct to the HDMI port, using a flash drive, or by WiFi or Bluetooth. Heck I could even do a little engineering and get the signal over vis RGB lines and then or course you can buy a 32" Samsung TV and monitor for $199 or so for the computer which is the size of the flat screen Samsung TV in my den.

If you wish a bigger screen, I looked over at Amazon and you can get a new 39" or 40" one for $200. For example Element Camo ELEFW40C 40" 1080p HDTV, Prime is $199.

And if you are wondering why that TV in the Den isn't larger, well one of my kids gave it to us some years ago, and that makes it special!

Last edited by frahse; 08-14-2017 at 08:17 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I just found a 32 for $149.
My laptop is supposed to play dvds.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
perhaps amazon will pass on some of the moey they save from shutting Lovefilm, by way of lowering the ridiculous pries they charge to "buy" or rent a streaming video..

just kidding - if folks are dumb enough to pay up to £24.99 to " own" ( with no backup / no download & keep.. option ) a tv series stream, when they could have found the DVDs on ebay for 99P + postage, why lower the price ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote