Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
MaudDib
MaudDib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
[Kindle] No Book Covers

For some reason books are no longer showing the book cover image in grid view on my Kindle PW2. It just shows the default Amazon cover I am on Calibre 3.3. I am also using the Kindle Screensaver hack and it will show the book cover when I open the book.

Is there something that changed when I updated Calibre? Or something I did? Never run into this issue.
MaudDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The code used to send covers to Kindles has not changed in calibre in years. And covers still show up on my paperwhite when I send books to it using the Send to device button.

It's likely some issue on your Kindle. Simplest fix is to reset the kindle (but be aware that doing so will wipe everything on it).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudDib View Post
For some reason books are no longer showing the book cover image in grid view on my Kindle PW2. It just shows the default Amazon cover I am on Calibre 3.3. I am also using the Kindle Screensaver hack and it will show the book cover when I open the book.

Is there something that changed when I updated Calibre? Or something I did? Never run into this issue.
The same thing just happened to me, and I always use the "Send to device" and right click then "Send to main memory". On July 12th (3 days ago) I saved a couple of books this way with no problem in showing the correct cover, but just yesterday copying books gives that stock substitute cover MaudDib posted. I tried this using Windows as well as my preferred OS, Linux - same result in both. I will keep trying things and see if I can come up with a fix, but I'm glad Kovid is aware now of this. Forgot to mention that i am working with a newer PW2 model now, Gen6. My Gen2 is at my other home which I will go to Sunday, and see what if any change is going to happen with that model.

[Added 7-16-17]
I just did a test: I connected my PW2, same Gen6 unit to my PC and sent some books using first the Windows Calibre and then the Linux Calibre... this time ALL covers show! How the problem could self-correct I have no idea, but it did. Wanted to share this info.

Incidentally, the Calibre version I am currently using on my Linux (Mint-17.3 Rosa) is 1.25 and the (VBox) Windows-7 one is 2.82. After upgrading this one to 3.4 it is still working fine.

Last edited by nypaulie; 07-16-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Retested this AM...
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
[Added 8-15-17] Lost the covers again but I think I found how to fix it (and what I did to fix it before without realizing how). REBOOT! Isn't this the way to correct a problem most times? It worked on this one too.
It won't show the covers just by rebooting, you have to delete them and reload them.

Last edited by nypaulie; 08-21-2017 at 05:53 PM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote