Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
If you just want paperback books and/or DRM-invested e-books other stores will be fine for you.
As has been said on a number of occasions on this thread, O'Reilly's books are sold DRM-free at stores such as Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I like O'Reilly for all formats available and DRM free. It will be difficult to find a retailer with this feature if a O'Reilly's book. Like O'Reilly there is a smaller editor https://pragprog.com/ which sell the books in all format without DRM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've been using O'Reilly's Safari since 2007. That part of it hasn't changed. You can still view online ebooks and purchase/download ebooks with credit tokens. You can also use the link button that they have for each book to buy it at Amazon/whichever else ebook store that is popular.

To a great extent, the point of O'Reilly's Safari is that technology is changing so fast that it really doesn't make a lot of sense to buy books that will be obsolete in two years time. Thus you pay a yearly or monthly fee to have access to all those books online. I do use my monthly tokens to download epub copies of some of my favorite tech books, but I have more Pragmatic Programmer ebooks than I have O'Reilly ebooks. I don't think that I've actually bought an O'Reilly book via their ebook store.

As long as Safari keeps going, and keeps offering the computer books that I need, I'm happy with the situation. The Safari app on the iPad lets me store up to 3 books locally, so I don't have to be online to read them. Any programmer who doesn't have a Safari subscription is really missing out on a key tool.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
What I am going to miss is the option to buy a paper copy and get the digital versions for a small additional fee.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #20
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As has been said on a number of occasions on this thread, O'Reilly's books are sold DRM-free at stores such as Amazon.
Do you know for sure that *all* O'Reilly e-books at Amazon have no DRM? How can I see that at Amazon? I haven't found a flag on the product pages.

Even if it without DRM they will probably downsize the e-book size because it's expensive for Amazon and O'Reilly to publish huge e-books. Some e-books from O'Reilly have a size of 150+ MByte. So you'll get a worse quality than the paperback book.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
What I am going to miss is the option to buy a paper copy and get the digital versions for a small additional fee.
That is/was a nice feature and it appears they don't participate in Match Book on Amazon either (which is similar).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you know for sure that *all* O'Reilly e-books at Amazon have no DRM? How can I see that at Amazon? I haven't found a flag on the product pages.
Look at the book description. If it says "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited", there's no DRM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #23
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
If you look at the PDF format of an O'Reilly book you could almost feel the dedication which went in the PDF e-book format. I wouldn't be surprised if the PDF e-book was the master for the paperback book.

Is the Google Play version also in three formats and without DRM?
It's in epub and pdf. What is the third format you were looking for? I assume it's not .mobi, since from your other posts in this thread you consider it an inferior format.

Quote:
Do you know for sure that this is the reason they closed the store? I suspect the reason is to push people to the subscription model. There is more profit in it. I have seen it before (e.g. Adobe Photoshop Cloud) but you are right we have not enough information to know the truth.

I have primarily bought e-books especially at oreilly.com because they had the DRM free multi format.

If you just want paperback books and/or DRM-invested e-books other stores will be fine for you.
I don't read paperback anymore, so I can't speak to the availability of those. As has been said multiple times, the O'Reilly books are DRM free at Amazon. They are also, as far as I can tell, DRM free at Google.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #24
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
It appears that O'Reilly also retails their books through Kobo. Weirdly enough, Programming Perl is almost $4 cheaper at Kobo.

O'Reilly also appears to honour Kobo discount codes.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #25
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've been using O'Reilly's Safari since 2007. That part of it hasn't changed. You can still view online ebooks and purchase/download ebooks with credit tokens. You can also use the link button that they have for each book to buy it at Amazon/whichever else ebook store that is popular.

To a great extent, the point of O'Reilly's Safari is that technology is changing so fast that it really doesn't make a lot of sense to buy books that will be obsolete in two years time. Thus you pay a yearly or monthly fee to have access to all those books online. I do use my monthly tokens to download epub copies of some of my favorite tech books, but I have more Pragmatic Programmer ebooks than I have O'Reilly ebooks. I don't think that I've actually bought an O'Reilly book via their ebook store.

As long as Safari keeps going, and keeps offering the computer books that I need, I'm happy with the situation. The Safari app on the iPad lets me store up to 3 books locally, so I don't have to be online to read them. Any programmer who doesn't have a Safari subscription is really missing out on a key tool.
Hello Pwalker8,

Sorry, but I'm not sure that my understanding is good. Can I subscribe only for 1 month ($ 39) and downloads every ebooks in EPUB or PDF format ? It will be very surprising for me, I think that I miss something.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello Pwalker8,

Sorry, but I'm not sure that my understanding is good. Can I subscribe only for 1 month ($ 39) and downloads every ebooks in EPUB or PDF format ? It will be very surprising for me, I think that I miss something.
You can download 'content' (reflowable text, fixed layout, video, audio) and consume it with the Queue app. But it is not packaged as ePub or PDF such that you could use a different app.

They have had promotions in the past (July) for $199/year. That's what I have been paying for the last couple of years. But it is not clear this will continue. They seem to be in cost-cutting mode.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello Pwalker8,

No, the subscription allows you to read all their books online, not download them.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
It appears that O'Reilly also retails their books through Kobo. Weirdly enough, Programming Perl is almost $4 cheaper at Kobo.

$4 cheaper must be Canada only. In the US it's $40.79 at Kobo (also $40.79 at Google) or $29.99 at Amazon (or $14.52 to rent).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #29
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post

That's good to know. Kind of a pity that existing O'Reilly purchases aren't just migrated to people's accounts in the various clouds Amazon/Google/Kobo, etc....

Would make things nicer for annotation backup.

I probably need to go check on my few purchases, download any updated books.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:32 AM   #30
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It's in epub and pdf. What is the third format you were looking for? I assume it's not .mobi, since from your other posts in this thread you consider it an inferior format.

I don't read paperback anymore, so I can't speak to the availability of those. As has been said multiple times, the O'Reilly books are DRM free at Amazon. They are also, as far as I can tell, DRM free at Google.
I am fine with mobi but I think the epub format is more advanced right now. For non reflow based E-Books PDF is nice.

If they support epub and pdf without DRM that's a start. Still not as good as O'Reilly's multiformat offer.

Well, life goes on ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote