Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #61
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Like the man said, you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Apple was convicted of anti-trust violations for agreeing to allow the publishers to set the prices, a perfectly legal matter called agency pricing, rather let the book seller set the prices. That is a factual statement of what happened. Asserting that they colluded to force e-book prices to go up from every store and that consumers paid too much is pure opinion.
Actually, it's Judge Cote's opinion, which was upheld on appeal and declined review by the Supreme Court, so as far as legal precedent goes, it's proven fact. From page 5, added emphasis mine:

Quote:
As described below, the Plaintiffs have shown that Apple conspired to raise the retail price of e-books and that they are entitled to injunctive relief.
You're entitled to your opinion, but when a case is decided by a court of law, and not overturned, then guess what? When you cite it, you can't be accused of expressing "pure opinion." You're expressing something that is legally considered a fact.

*drops mic*

Last edited by Robotech_Master; 06-22-2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Had to add a mic drop.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #62
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
No one must love me. I bought a lot of ebooks during that time but no credits I can find and no notice of anything. I have no idea where I purchased a lot of stuff from back then, probably Fictionwise and AllRomance.
Did you get settlement money back in March 2014?

Fictionwise IIRC stopped carrying Agency titles the day it went into effect. If you purchased books at AllRomance you would had to have filed a claim back in 2012.

If you got money the first time around, you will automatically be sent a check this time as well.

I think Amazon, B&N, Sony, Apple, and Kobo were the only stores where you didn't need to file a claim form.
library addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #63
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I got exactly the amount I was expecting.
None.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #64
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Does anyone know if there is a time limit to redeem?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #65
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Your credit is valid for one year and will expire after June 24, 2017, by order of the Court. If you have not used it, we will remind you of your credit before it expires.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #66
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Does anyone know if there is a time limit to redeem?
You have a year.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
None.
Same here
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:07 AM   #68
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The earlier settlement I got was way over $100, closer to $200 as I recall. But I never received a penny of it. Not sure what happened with it. At least Apple paid, though they fought it tooth and nail.
The publishers paid too. If you didn't get it then something went wrong somewhere else in the process. The publishers just handed over the total amount; they weren't responsible for allocating and distributing it. I don't remember how all that was handled.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:10 AM   #69
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
You can click on the following links to check your settlement amounts at Amazon.com and at Barnes & Noble.

Last edited by Froide; 06-22-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #70
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
None.
I got twice that!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #71
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Same here
Me too. *notInTheUs*
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Someone on Facebook just said they got $969.30 back from the settlement at Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #73
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Actually, it's Judge Cote's opinion, which was upheld on appeal and declined review by the Supreme Court, so as far as legal precedent goes, it's proven fact. From page 5, added emphasis mine:

You're entitled to your opinion, but when a case is decided by a court of law, and not overturned, then guess what? When you cite it, you can't be accused of expressing "pure opinion." You're expressing something that is legally considered a fact.

*drops mic*
Nope, not fact just your projection on the legal opinion of Judge Cote. I can just as easily point to the dissent which found no case existed.

You seriously don't understand how the legal system works. Appeals are based on legal doctrine, not facts. When the Supreme Court declines to hear a case, then that case has zero legal precedent. It would have had legal precedent if the Supreme Court had heard the case and decided to uphold the verdict. With a 4-4 Supreme Court, there are going to be a lot of cases that normally would have been heard and are now being declined.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Someone on Facebook just said they got $969.30 back from the settlement at Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dang, that's a lot of books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #75
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I received a $3 credit...

For contacting Amazon. I had ~10 ebooks purchased during the period and didn't receive anything. So I just chatted with them. None were from the related publishers (some were from Random House), but Amazon gave me a $3 credit for being a valued customer.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote