Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #46
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Setting aside the color blob angst, my only real annoyance with the PW is the power button. I have small fingers, which seems like it would help, but I'm constantly struggling to find and then push that tiny thing hard enough. I really miss the slide-on style of the KK.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #47
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I use helvetica 6, which is just a tad smaller than I'd like, but 7 is just huge.

There is no technical reason why the user can't specify the exact size he wants, except to keep the UI simple. It's just simpler to present 8 choices, rather than to have a slider or a +/- numeric input. Nice and easy, unless it's not what the user wants.

Which is why you need to have some other way for those willing to go the extra yard to get what they want. Like an advanced settings screen. Or an editable config file. As it is, you need someone to hack the code, so it's either real easy or real hard.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #48
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Cover replaces power button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Setting aside the color blob angst, my only real annoyance with the PW is the power button. I have small fingers, which seems like it would help, but I'm constantly struggling to find and then push that tiny thing hard enough. I really miss the slide-on style of the KK.
If you get the cover advertised on the PW site at Amazon, it closes down the power to sleep mode when you close it and then opens the power when you open the cover.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I've got big hands and with the PW in a cover it is very difficult to find the power button. The Touch is much easier to turn on/off.

I'm not in the least interested in the official cover. I had the official cover for the K4 and it was cheaply made with super thin top panel. I'm surprised the hinge part didn't rip in half.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #50
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've got big hands and with the PW in a cover it is very difficult to find the power button. The Touch is much easier to turn on/off.

I'm not in the least interested in the official cover. I had the official cover for the K4 and it was cheaply made with super thin top panel. I'm surprised the hinge part didn't rip in half.
Yes, my current case (which I quite like, a $20 Marware Eco-flip) makes it even harder.

No, I'm not spending $50 on a case to get a functional power switch.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #51
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I know what you mean. They made the power button so you have to really push on it now, a bit annoying. I have the amazon cover and I personally really love it. You no longer have to deal with the bottom if you have the cover.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #52
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, my current case (which I quite like, a $20 Marware Eco-flip) makes it even harder.

Ha, I can't say I blame you. I do love mine though, but I'm a sap for those little extra features, I admit.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #53
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I've got big hands and with the PW in a cover it is very difficult to find the power button. The Touch is much easier to turn on/off. Now, yg

I find the Kindle cover well made, lightweight and durable. The sleep/wake function is excellent and I would not use the PW without it. I love it. Now, I just need a PW with an acceptable display to love.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #54
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I find the Kindle cover well made, lightweight and durable. The sleep/wake function is excellent and I would not use the PW without it. Now, I just need a PW with an acceptable display.
Same here exactly. I love the sleep/wake function. Now I just need to get a PW I'm happy with. My replacement is out for delivery, I just wish I felt more optimistic about it.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #55
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I find the Kindle cover well made, lightweight and durable. The sleep/wake function is excellent and I would not use the PW without it. I love it. Now, I just need a PW with an acceptable display to love.
Yeah I'm thinking at this point the cover is a better value than the PW. Usually with Kindles that is reversed!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #56
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The case is $39.99
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #57
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah I'm thinking at this point the cover is a better value than the PW. Usually with Kindles that is reversed!
That has been my thinking too, so far. I really hate the thought of giving up the cover if I strike out on the PW.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #58
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Same here exactly. I love the sleep/wake function. Now I just need to get a PW I'm happy with. My replacement is out for delivery, I just wish I felt more optimistic about it.
Fingers crossed for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #59
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks Skydog.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #60
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
The case is $39.99
I stand corrected. I think in my head I split the difference between the PW case and the $59 lighted case.