Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Wigmaker
Wigmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Vox vs. Nook vs. Android tablet?

Since we're now getting threads on rooting the Vox (awesome work jefftheworld, and thanks for your guides that got stickied) should we in Canada be thinking about waiting for something like this to occur?

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/ba...ok-launch.html

I think I've finally admitted to myself that I'm after a tablet that doubles as an e-reader, not the other way around (I bought a slew of e-books waiting on the Vox to be launched, and will be needing a device soon to start on them). That in mind:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...e-kindle-fire/

...Should we be waiting for much more powerful Android tablets, such as the Nook Tab, to go international and get rooted?

I really want a tablet, but I'm on the fence on what to throw money at -- so my question to this fine forum is...

Seeing as many of us are essentially buying Voxes and rooting them to wind up with low cost (but low end) Android tabs, what would be the drawback at this point to simply buying a higher end Android tablet (or waiting on e.g., the Nook Tablet which has far superior specs at a mere $50 price increase?) I may be missing the obvious, but what exclusive benefit does the Vox convey, that we should prefer it over a pure Android device?

Thanks for any and all advice,
-WM

Last edited by Wigmaker; 11-08-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Wigmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I have an Asus Transformer tablet and I'm very happy with it. But it's power and features are way beyond the Vox and the price is double. Remember, you get what you pay for! For example, the Vox is stripped of a microphone, so you can't use Skype. You also can't connect things like a Bluetooth keyboard.

I personally don't like reading much on the tablet, as the lcd screen is more tiring on my eyes. My Kobo Touch is my dedicated ereader.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmaker View Post
Since we're now getting threads on rooting the Vox (awesome work jefftheworld, and thanks for your guides that got stickied) should we in Canada be thinking about waiting for something like this to occur?

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/ba...ok-launch.html

I think I've finally admitted to myself that I'm after a tablet that doubles as an e-reader, not the other way around (I bought a slew of e-books waiting on the Vox to be launched, and will be needing a device soon to start on them). That in mind:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...e-kindle-fire/

...Should we be waiting for much more powerful Android tablets, such as the Nook Tab, to go international and get rooted?

I really want a tablet, but I'm on the fence on what to throw money at -- so my question to this fine forum is...

Seeing as many of us are essentially buying Voxes and rooting them to wind up with low cost (but low end) Android tabs, what would be the drawback at this point to simply buying a higher end Android tablet (or waiting on e.g., the Nook Tablet which has far superior specs at a mere $50 price increase?) I may be missing the obvious, but what exclusive benefit does the Vox convey, that we should prefer it over a pure Android device?

Thanks for any and all advice,
-WM
I'm in the same boat as you, I want a tablet with a bit more muscle than the vox has.
If you live in Canada, you can't get the kindle fire ...probably for a long time.
Here is a link to an interesting list of reasons *not* to buy the kindle fire:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ndle-fire.html

I'm kinda interested in the samsung galaxy tab 7.0 plus. Many commenters on other forums think it will drop to $300 to compete but the users on this forum don't think it will.

Check the link and some other links to other tablets either out now or shortly.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-8-Inch-T...0777774&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-A1...0734489&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Flyer-Andr...0734223&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad...0688966&sr=8-9
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I consider the Vox a really good entry level tablet. I didn't want to invest a lot of money into a tablet because I didn't know how much I'd use it. The Vox does everything I want it to do (read digi mags, movies, Netflix, read kids interactive books, Reading Life and Pulse, read library books and regular books, You Tube, Facebook and Email with my IP) and more. My two disappointments: I can't listen to borrowed .WMA audiobooks (Overdrive app only plays .MP3) and ADE does not recognize the Vox, so I cannot sideload my borrowed books - have to read with Overdrive app.

I can get around those disappointments, so I'd consider the Vox a BIG success from my standpoint! Now...I just need to see how much I use it. If it's not that much, then I am good. If it's a ton, then I can see upgrading to the Galaxy Tab when the price comes down!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
the best sub $300 tablet by far is the HTC flyer Asus makes a dang nice 10'1 incher

The Acer iconia tab a100 is a good tablet except its battery is quite litterally smaller than the one in my Motorola electrify phone (my electrify has a 1,700 mAh battery and the acer has 1,530 mAh battery and most other tablets use a 4,000 mAh battery) the fact that the acer iconia 100 has a smaller battery than most smart phones severly hampers it.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
The Acer iconia tab a100 is a good tablet except its battery is quite litterally smaller than the one in my Motorola electrify phone (my electrify has a 1,700 mAh battery and the acer has 1,530 mAh battery and most other tablets use a 4,000 mAh battery) the fact that the acer iconia 100 has a smaller battery than most smart phones severly hampers it.
The screen on the a100 is bloody horrible... This thing is giving me headache using with the bad screen quality...
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I intended to buy a Vox and then got cold feet when I saw the first wave of reviewer remarks. I ended up buying the HTC-Flyer and am more than happy with the purchase.

I'm sure Kobo will resolve whatever issues remain with the Vox but if 'full Android' is what you are looking for I think the HTC-Flyer is one of the better Android tablets on the market today.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
ADE recognized my Vox and authorized it.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It's too early to compare with the Fire - but outside of the United States, and without an Amazon Prime membership, it's a non-starter for most people due to the lack of support for Amazon App Store outside the US (and Amazon's habit of using IP sniffers to determine where you are, and then to deny you services if you're not using an American ISP).

As for a 7" Android tablet... well, you'll have to spend more than $300 to get one which is decent, which means you may as well splurge for a real 10" Android Tablet. The Iconia A100 didn't impress me with its battery life or screen; and for an extra $100, I could go out and get an Asus Transformer which is far better. The Kobo Vox, once they get all the firmware bugs out, isn't a bad 'starter' tablet - especially not with that lovely screen it's got.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
It's too early to compare with the Fire - but outside of the United States, and without an Amazon Prime membership, it's a non-starter for most people due to the lack of support for Amazon App Store outside the US (and Amazon's habit of using IP sniffers to determine where you are, and then to deny you services if you're not using an American ISP).

As for a 7" Android tablet... well, you'll have to spend more than $300 to get one which is decent, which means you may as well splurge for a real 10" Android Tablet. The Iconia A100 didn't impress me with its battery life or screen; and for an extra $100, I could go out and get an Asus Transformer which is far better. The Kobo Vox, once they get all the firmware bugs out, isn't a bad 'starter' tablet - especially not with that lovely screen it's got.
Why would someone looking for a 7" tablet drop $400 to buy the 10" Asus Transformer? The Samsung galaxy tab 7.0 Plus is available right now on Amazon for the same price....
Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I intended to buy a Vox and then got cold feet when I saw the first wave of reviewer remarks. I ended up buying the HTC-Flyer and am more than happy with the purchase.

I'm sure Kobo will resolve whatever issues remain with the Vox but if 'full Android' is what you are looking for I think the HTC-Flyer is one of the better Android tablets on the market today.
Hello - that is a nice tablet. Did you get the stylus too & if so, how well does it work for taking notes?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1959 View Post
Why would someone looking for a 7" tablet drop $400 to buy the 10" Asus Transformer? The Samsung galaxy tab 7.0 Plus is available right now on Amazon for the same price....
Because at $400, a 7" tablet is overpriced in comparison - you've usually got a smaller battery and maybe less RAM depending on how 'budget' the manufacturer considers the 7" tablet to be. The screen's one of the bigger expenses in a tablet, IIRC... and smaller screens tend to be cheaper to make than their larger 10" cousins.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I had planned on the Acer 100 but we went and saw it in person and did not like the screen. The battery life didn't help at all either. The HTC flyers that I have seen have all been $500 here so not in the price range I was looking for, especially since we need one for each of my dh and I. We decided to try the Vox. If it goes well, we'll get a second one. I do wish the processor was a bit faster but it looks like it can do the things we want tod o so we'll see how it goes.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Because at $400, a 7" tablet is overpriced in comparison - you've usually got a smaller battery and maybe less RAM depending on how 'budget' the manufacturer considers the 7" tablet to be. The screen's one of the bigger expenses in a tablet, IIRC... and smaller screens tend to be cheaper to make than their larger 10" cousins.
That's not a good enough reason for me. I like the compact, portable size of 7".
It's actually interesting what's just coming out in the next few months as far as tablets are concerned. They are improving at such a fast rate it's hard to keep up.
I'm just going to wait a bit longer to see what else comes along & continue to monitor the kobo vox as far as updates go & how many people have warranty issues.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I still don't see the point of rooting. If you want a device to do a certain function then by that device. I read too many problems & too much work involved with rooting.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote