Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #121
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
sorry to keep adding posts lol -

just wanted to mention, in case someone else wants the various nand tools, compiled binaries of mtdutils (yes I was too lazy to cross-build it myself) I got from here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=29FTH4RK
(origin from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=17911541 )
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #122
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

aaaand a little more spam from me:

so I got nanddump sorted with oob, but dumping the mtd nodes still mostly looks like garbage (ok it's not pure FFFFFFFF content, I see some pointers here and there to UBI filesytems - great...)

also tried using yaffsexpert (as mentioned a couple months ago by vicinc in another thread) - hoping it might "do the right thing" with the mtds - but the resulting images look no different than dumps using dd, dump_image, nanddump. blah.

fed up with it again (and it's late here), but when the irritation subsides I guess the next step is seeing if the dumped images (or the mtd nodes themselves) can be mounted as ubifs.
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #123
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
have you looked at the bluepanther development I mentioned before. seems same platform, same s... cpu etc...
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #124
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz View Post
Gurrr...

I wanted to see the other side of the board since I flashed successfully (directly to ermine) but said the sdcard (internal?) was not formatted.

Well, I managed to break the power slider button... just like tekknogenius here. It's the inner black one, not the outer silver one.

(I suspected I could get the internal sdcard flashed with a dingo upgrade, but wasn't thinking)

Open to brilliant ideas... or this might be a "lab device" which sits torn apart so I can get to everything.
How good are you with a soldering iron?

Just remove the old switch and replace with a new one.

If you go the replacement route make sure you have a temperature controlled iron and it has a fine point tip, that way you are much less likely to damage the circuit board and bridge tracks.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #125
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
How good are you with a soldering iron?

Just remove the old switch and replace with a new one.

If you go the replacement route make sure you have a temperature controlled iron and it has a fine point tip, that way you are much less likely to damage the circuit board and bridge tracks.
Anyone know the part number of the switch or a compatible replacement part? I've been trying to get a replacement, but do not know what I can replace it with. That way I can get my other PE back in rotation instead of being on injured reserve

tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #126
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz View Post
Gurrr...

Well, I managed to break the power slider button... just like tekknogenius here. It's the inner black one, not the outer silver one.

Open to brilliant ideas... or this might be a "lab device" which sits torn apart so I can get to everything.
I feel your pain. Been looking for a replacement switch too.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #127
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Anyone know the part number of the switch or a compatible replacement part? I've been trying to get a replacement, but do not know what I can replace it with. That way I can get my other PE back in rotation instead of being on injured reserve

You need to go somewhere like this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=o...itch&x=22&y=14 and check through the descriptions to find something that will fit.

If you could supply a *good* photo I might be able to suggest something as a replacement - it is rather difficult to do without seeing the item in question.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #128
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
You need to go somewhere like this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=o...itch&x=22&y=14 and check through the descriptions to find something that will fit.

If you could supply a *good* photo I might be able to suggest something as a replacement - it is rather difficult to do without seeing the item in question.
I'll post a pic as soon as I can. At work now. I've been slogging though such sites looking, so hopefully a pic will be worth a thousand words and you'll be able to suggest something.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #129
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
have you looked at the bluepanther development I mentioned before. seems same platform, same s... cpu etc...
thanks... yes, it looks like you guys have already found out all the good infos... once again wasting my time and yours lol.

ok, obviously I'm late to the party here: you're right, the GM10/bluepanther does have the same (well very very similar) ubi fs layout as the Edge, rather than the more traditional android use of mtds. however, its recovery, while still a little lame vs what most users would want, is less "crippled" (to use someone else's word) than the Edge - you can replace uboot, for one!

given how different its recovery is, not sure how much its sdk will help us, at least not until our crazy serial ubooters have a better idea how the Edge boots up.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #130
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvoke View Post
its recovery, while still a little lame vs what most users would want, is less "crippled" (to use someone else's word) than the Edge - you can replace uboot, for one!
It looks like Edge's update.zip does replace u-boot.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #131
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

oh good point, it's right there in update.sh ... I need to stop with the drugs ha...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #132
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
Damn yall are smart on this..Im in IT (sys admin) and did VB programming....Where can I learn how to do this stuff? I want to help but at this time the only thing I can contribute is graphics for future roms, bug testing in the future and anything yall ask that i can research how to do on Google...Let me know how I can help
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #133
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
Just in case yall havent seen dudes post

Pocket Edge Hardware/software - LONG - TECHNICAL
I spent some time this afternoon poking around the guts of my Pocket Edge, this is what I've found.

The internal storage (all parts of it) is a single flash chip which appears to be 3.5 gig large.
Its broken into 4 pieces ubi:system, ubi:userdata, ubi:cache and ubi:storage

ubi:storage is mapped to /intstorage and is the 2.5 gig of free space.
ubi:system -> /system 322.2 meg
ubi:userdata -> /data 322.2 meg
ubi:cache -> /cache 322.7 meg

I think with a custom update (if we figure out how to do that) and if people move there storage to sdcard we can cut up the storage differently to increase app space. ubi:userdata is where our installed applications end up.

The really interesting stuff is in ubi:system
/system/app - all the APK's that the edge ships with
/system/bin - standard linux stuff
/system/esi - this is that holds the eink/annotation software system startup stuff

esijournal/esicalender/esireader applications attempt to connect to the WACOM DSU (most likely a WACOM 8001) which is a pen enabled touch sensor that goes under a display.

all 3 go through the same startup (and error out since I'm remote)
Connect to DirectFB (this is a low overhead display manager, probably to get the different tool bars etc)
Connect DirectFB to WACOM DSU (touch screen)
Connect FBDev - DirectFB (800x800 resolution)

GDK is also involved - this is a drawing kit for displays and probably provides the windows of the menus/toolbars - possible part of the annotation feature as well.

start_epd.sh
Turns on power save mode for the Marvell processor
init_wacdsu - drives the wacom dsu i'm guessing
sd8688.ko - Wifi/Bluetooth

Loads kernel modules
syscopyarea.ko - makes a bit copy of a FB - this is probably our save for annotation
sysfillrect.ko
sysimgblt.ko - makes an 8 bit source into a 32bit image (copy to lcd feature)
fb_sys_fops.ko - underlying frame buffer read/write to memory

ep3522fb.ko - (nonstandard - possibly eink display driver? referenced as EPD_MODULE) - this looks custom from the brief peak I've had.

bmm.ko - (nonstandard - unknown at this time google bmm_drv.ko shows up some stuff for Marvell Dove)

reference to thirdeye (there is also an application named this) and loads udlfb.ko
udlfb.ko is a driver for Displaylink (displaylink.com) which is a usb based monitor technology
this is our driver for useing a projector I see people talking about?

Another kernel module of note is galcore.ko driver from Vivante Graphics GPU

esi_init.sh calls fix_permissions.sh which is based on this blog post to fix some Android problem
http://blog.elsdoerfer.name/2009/05/...id-mismatches/

QCUdevScript.sh - looks for a 3G modem we don't have probably useful for external 3g modems.
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #134
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
ubifs>
http://blog.chinaunix.net/space.php?...g&cuid=2022422

or

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=4810910
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #135
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:

Here are some photos of the power switch. Hopefully they will give you some idea of a replacement part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0133.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	763.5 KB
ID:	77765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0134.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	665.9 KB
ID:	77766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	683.8 KB
ID:	77767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0136.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	774.0 KB
ID:	77768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0137.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	698.6 KB
ID:	77769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0138.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	848.3 KB
ID:	77770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0139.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	726.3 KB
ID:	77771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0140.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	662.6 KB
ID:	77772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0141.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	881.3 KB
ID:	77773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0142.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	776.7 KB
ID:	77774  

Last edited by tekknogenius; 10-13-2011 at 10:06 PM.