Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Radiorox
Radiorox began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Exclamation Unsure and overwhelmed! ;)

Hey gang!

I'm in the "what should I buy" stage of the game. I'm computer savvy but a noob when it comes to e-readers. I had an Augen for about 2 days but, I returned it when the battery failed to charge... still been looking for the right E-Reader since.

What I am looking for:
*PDFs, Word Files or the availability to convert Word to something legible and without losing the format or having it look all funky. I'm an avid fanFiction reader and almost all of us Fic readers have our files in Word format.
*Ability to read in sunlight.
*Something that doesn't chug battery life
*wifi would be nice but it's not a requirement.
*quick page turns
*ability to book mark or highlight although, I'm happy with it being able to just bookmark a page.
*a major thing is for the device not to be locked onto one book seller. I would like to purchase books from different locations.
*library rentals would be nice as well but not a major requirement.
*I would like to be able to use purchased downloads on multiple devices - e-reader, blackberry or droid. (currently have a BB, might switch to 'droid, we'll see )

What I don't need:
*don't care if it's colour or not.
*don't care if it's touch screen or not.
*don't need a keyboard.
*don't care if it plays music or not

One thing, I do not want a Kindle. I've read that it's a very restricting reader.

Sooooo, hopefully that can help me narrow it down.
Thanks guys!!
Jackie
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Radiorox, my jetBook Lite fits your bill. It meets all of your requirements, but does not have a few things that aren't important to you like highlighting and wifi.

We save Word files as rtf's, which the JBL reads very well.

The JBL uses four AA batteries, so we all buy eight rechargeable batteries and a charger. When the first four die, you can change them out in less than five minutes and then you are good to go. eBook readers with internal batteries need four hours to charge. I change out my batteries once every two weeks.

It reads the ADE, eReader and B&N DRMs, so you can read the books of any retailer except Amazon without stripping the DRM.

It does not have an internal clock, so when you borrow a library book, you don't have to worry about the time expiring.

Newegg frequently has them on sale. Last week it was $99 for a JBL with a free leather case. This week it is $89 for a JBL with a free earlight.

Here's the current newegg link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Lite&x=18&y=27

Good luck!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you looked at the content in the Kindle store? If Amazon carries all the books you like, why is it important/necessary to purchase from different stores? Not trying be confrontational but I just think it's not as big a deal as many think it is.

Kindle is a platform which can be read on many devices and sync your Kindles books across all of them. Aside from the library usage, it does fit in with your needs.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
The Kindle is not anymore restricted than any other device you might buy... and it sounds exactly like the reader you need...

You can buy (or get for free) DRM free books everywhere, and using Calibre you can convert them to be read on the kindle...

My Kindle is still my main reader and - I reckon - the best.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Nook seems to satisfy all your needs except it doesn't support DOC or TXT. But you can always convert. Unfortunately it also doesn't use the latest pearl screen. Sony readers also satisfy all your needs except for the app part. There's no wifi or 3G in sony 350 and 650. That means no syncing of bookmarks between your mobile phone and reader.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Radiorox. And your needs are modest and realistically met by several devices mentioned already (my own wee Sony would also fit the bill). Being in the US, you also have a wider range of title choice. You also have better customer support than many of us outside the USA. Good luck with your eventual choice and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I would say one of the new sonys is perfect for your need. Much better than the kindle and it supports epub as well
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
As others have said, the Kindle is no more locked into a bookstore then any other e-reader out there.

I would suggest going to Best Buy and comparing the Nook, Sony, and Kindle. That will give you a good idea about what you are looking for physically in an e-reader. Then check out the three book stores. Keep in mind that all three e-readers have additional book stores that you can buy books from.

Also keep in mind that conversion is easy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Ipad..Almost every Ebook manufacturer has an app that will read their books on an Ipad. Pdf's are also awesome...I have both an Ipad and Kindle....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I remember somebody saying they directly downloaded from FF.net to their Nook. I think it was somebody at Goodreads.com, but I bet there is info here on it. Maybe I am wrong, but I remember something about it. I always convert my Word docs to epub in Calibre and they come out looking fine.

It is true that you can convert non-DRMed ebooks to mobi for Kindle, but I find it hard to get a newer or popular book that doesn't have DRM. The Nook can do library books and you can buy epub or pdf from anyplace that sells ebooks with the ADE DRM.

The nook and Kindle both have apps for BB users. I know Nook has it for HTC as well, but I am not sure about Kindle. The Nooks new software update allows for syncing your phone or other devices to your Nook as well, so that is cool.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I like my Kobo because of the ease with borrowing library books. Simple and easy to use. Quick page turns, easy to read PDFs, and easy to read in sunlight. The battery doesn't last as many days/page turns as the Kindle, but I find if I power mine down in between reading, it lasts forever...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
Radiorox
Radiorox began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Wow! Thanks for all of the info. I was originally checking the Sony but have been leaning towards either the Nook or the Kobo. Anyone with a Nook know how long a bought e-book can be loaned to another Nook?

I know Kindle will have this feature eventually but, it says you can only lend for 14 days.

Thanks again!
Happy Holidays.
Jackie
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The Nook lending feature works exactly the same as in Kindle (actually, Amazon copied it from B&N): you can lend the book only once, for 14 days, and the feature depends on the publisher.

You mention the need for synchronization. Since Sony is going to release apps for mobile platforms in this month, you may take that into consideration.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have to echo the comments about the Kindle. The selection on Amazon is vast (including a ton of FREE stuff) and I also like the menu better.
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
twokobos
twokobos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Here's my two cents. I've got an original Kobo. I believe it has the least features of any reader, no bookmarking, no highlighting, no dictionary lookups, pretty much restricted to one site, doesn't play easily with many ereader handlers, slow opening, slow page turns & mediocre battery life.

And yet . . . I love the preloaded classics. I've had it for 3 months - yes just before the new version came out, just my luck - & in that time I've downloaded & ready almost 20 books. I've taken it on vacation, where I got into discussions with Ipad, Kindle & Sony users. (Ereaders seem to be like babies & puppies for sparking strangers to talk to each other) Each person, regardless of device type, had tales of woe with customer support, or trying to load different types of books or just trying to buy a book in the first place.

When push came to shove, I'm not technical. I don't care to tweak anything behind the scenes on my device. I like to Kobo site for purchase (good prices, good variety).

So my advice to just plain reader like me is buy a Kobo, settle down & just read.
twokobos is offline   Reply With Quote