Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #31
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Almost a certainty. It was published in 1984 (so the latest he could have sold it was 1982) and it was his first published novel. Probably spent years on the query go round.
(Niven and Pournelle are two that come to mind that go back to the Cromemco CP/M boxes.)
Actually, Icehenge is reworked from 2 novellas, published in 1980 and 1982.

I knew one author who submitted a battered typescript in the mid 90s. He'd obviously been working on it for many years (numerous corrections on it). My first advice to him was to for God's sake get it typed into a computer file.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Actually, Icehenge is reworked from 2 novellas, published in 1980 and 1982.

I knew one author who submitted a battered typescript in the mid 90s. He'd obviously been working on it for many years (numerous corrections on it). My first advice to him was to for God's sake get it typed into a computer file.
Thanks.
I was working off the bibiography.
If the first part was published in 1980 that pushes that part back to 1979, at least.

By the mid 90's no professional author had an excuse (other than personal choice) not to be working on a computer. Even Macintoshes could be had for under $2000 and PCs for $500. Plus cheap scanners with decent OCR could be had for $100.

The early 80's and before were different: the earliest professiobal grade computers ran $3000-5000, the software ran $300-500, and printers $500-1000. You had to be an established professional with a good accountant to be able to justify that kind of investment.

So yes: typewritten most likely.
Good manual ones could be had for $69.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
That was a kingly gift at the time I imagine. I mean the expense of getting them printed and bound couldn't have been cheap. I grant that small books have been around a while though too. Italic was created so that its creator could bring out the first 'pocket edition' of classic books. It also led to the need of 'reading the small print' on contracts. Most of the 20th century authors that I've read such as Bradbury, Asimov etc. would have used typewriters for writing their books. Piers Anthony in his book "Bio of an Ogre" talks about how he went from a typewriter to one of the early computers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote