Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #421
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you swipe to change screens?
Yes, you can swipe to change screens.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #422
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would love to have both. The Aura may be bigger and heavier than I would want to take out in my bag. I grab my paperwhite or my Sony T1, as both of them are smaller and lighter than my kindle touch in lighted case. So I would leave the Aura at home, also.
Life is good with more than one reader! I'm looking forward to my Aura. But my lovely Sony T1 and my 350 are not leaving here anytime soon. The 950 is likely in jeopardy though.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #423
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
As I understand it, one can use calibre to get ones epubs into the kepub format, and then all of the on-device modifications will work. A+.
Perhaps, but that only applies for the minority of people who read eBooks who can actually do conversions. The vast majority of people who read eBooks won't even know what kePubs are, nor probably care. And why the hell does Kobo insist on using kePubs anyway? The ePub format is good enough as is without forcing another proprietary format on readers. I like Amazon because of Whispersync and their whole system, but I'm also one of those who wish they would have gone to ePubs rather than KF8. The difference of course is that Amazon sells more eBooks in the USA market than all the other eBookstores combined, so Kobo is a SMALL store which will have little impact on the North American market or the world market. Few consumers will therefore buy their proprietary kePubs. Amazon, like it or not, sells 2/3 of the eBooks sold in the USA. Their proprietary KF8 and mobi impact the market in a huge way.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #424
MySony505
MySony505 doesn't litterMySony505 doesn't litter

Device: PRS505
Much to my surprise, my Aura HD arrived today.
I am mildly disappointed, yes the extra real estate is nice but the screen is not the
quantum leap over the Glo I was expecting.

As for the back cover that's just plain silly. I will give it a few days, but right now I think I will stay with the Glo

Happy reading.
MySony505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #425
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm actually more of a gadget freak than The Lord of the Exchequer is. He, on the other hand, buys more DVDs than we could watch in a lifetime if we did nothing else, so I guess we're even.

If the Aura isn't that much better than the Glo is, I'll probably stick with my Paperwhite for another generation or two then.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #426
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Life is good with more than one reader! I'm looking forward to my Aura. But my lovely Sony T1 and my 350 are not leaving here anytime soon. The 950 is likely in jeopardy though.
I have several as well, never parted with any of mine since buying my first one a Sony 505 four years ago. I have the 'one' I carry around, 'one' that sits by my bed for nightime reading and a spare for emergencies regardless of them being 'me' or 'reader' related.

Choices are good ... I always have a working Kindle for my Amazon content and a epub based one for none-Amazon purchases. I buy whichever format is better for me, getting the best of both worlds.

I choose the reader that best 'fits' the situation I'm in. Like front lit for bedtime/darker rooms and regular for out and about. Also when I have my regular 'dropsies' when my hand spasms start I use the most robust reader I have to avoid as much possible damage as I can. I've dropped nearly every single readers once due to my grip going without warning and reader 'hitting the deck'.

Last edited by lioslaith; 04-22-2013 at 02:09 PM.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #427
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySony505 View Post
Much to my surprise, my Aura HD arrived today.
Had you received a shipment email? I haven't gotten one yet, and I don't see anywhere on the Kobo site where I can find the order status. The only items that show up on my account are ebooks that I have purchased.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #428
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Had you received a shipment email? I haven't gotten one yet, and I don't see anywhere on the Kobo site where I can find the order status. The only items that show up on my account are ebooks that I have purchased.
Same here. Ordered on the 16th. The pre-authorized "pending" on my cc has disappeared but no charge yet posted.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #429
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
I remember before the paperwhite came out I described the device that I wished Amazon would make. It seems Kobo has made it instead;

I asked for a 7'' screen - Kobo makes 6.8''

I asked for a higher definition screen - Kobo makes highest on market

I asked for faster page turns - Kobo claims faster turns

I asked for more customisability - Kobo has more fonts, sizes and options than amazon devices

I asked for more visual interface - Kobo has this

It's spooky, Kobo has made the device I've wanted since I first bought a eink reader. They've also ignored the features I don't care about, colour and closer social network integration. At £140 its fairly priced and I get to play around with it at WH Smith before I buy. As long as it sticks to all its promises I'll be buying this very soon after its release.

I asked for folder support and they have NOT GIVEN IT. so kobo can take a hike.I won't be buying it.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #430
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Depends exactly what you want to do. You can have folders and manually copy/paste the epub files on the device. So yes, in a narrow sense you can manage it using a file explorer. HOWEVER, in UI library the folders do not show up (all books will be lumped together).
exactly my point.

chinese cheap $10 mp4 players can have explorer type folders but not kobo.

kobo insist us being slaves to a pile of hardware using the very laborious one at a time bookshelf idiocy.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #431
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I was considering this device but I only manage my ebooks using folders and manually copying/pasting files. Can you elaborate on your statement above? I must admit that if I can't manage my ebook files using a file explorer I have zero interest in the device.

kobo insist us on us little people being slaves to a pile of hardware using the very laborious one at a time bookshelf idiocy.

imagine you have a thousand books and then one by one put them on a virtual keyboard by using 12 labourious key presses throu menu options.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #432
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Same here. Ordered on the 16th. The pre-authorized "pending" on my cc has disappeared but no charge yet posted.
My charge isn't pending, it appeared on my credit card on 4/16, and posted fully 4/19. So, I just did a chat on the Kobo website and tormented some poor CS person.

Quote:
 Marti G: Hi, my name is Marti G. How may I help you?
 Verena: Can you please let me know the status of my Aura order? 10000....
 Marti G: I can definitely help you with that
 Marti G: Do you mind holding for a moment while I research that order?
 Verena: OK
 Marti G: Thanks
 Marti G: Thank you for holding. *
 Marti G: I can see that your order is in progress
 Marti G: The shipping can take up to 7 business days
 Marti G: You will probably receive your device tomorrow or Wednesday
 Marti G: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
 Verena: You are indicating that it has been shipped. Do you have a tracking number?
 Marti G: No, it's still in progress
 Marti G: Once that the device is shipped you will receive a message including the tracking number
 Verena: So, it hasn't shipped, it will take up to 7 days to ship, but it will be here tomorrow or Wednesday?
 Marti G: Alright, just one moment while I look into your inquiry.
 Marti G: Thank you for holding. *
 Marti G: Sorry for the confusion but in this case the order is still in progress and the device is not shipped yet
 Verena: No problem. Thanks for checking.
 Marti G: Once that the device is shipped you will receive a confirmation email and until then you need to wait 5-7 business days

Last edited by pidgeon92; 04-22-2013 at 02:32 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #433
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

kobo insist us on us little people being slaves to a pile of hardware using the very laborious one at a time bookshelf idiocy.

imagine you have a thousand books and then one by one put them on a virtual keyboard by using 12 labourious key presses throu menu options.
Does any of the major ereaders support folders?

Folders are probably considered too "hard", too 1990's, too geeky for the masses, who need something dumber, I mean, simpler.

Also, folders are more OS dependent and may not sync well over different devices.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #434
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I haven't received mine either. I ordered the Espresso verson and live in Illinois also.

I contacted Kobo this morning, because I also did not see it in my list of purchases. They took my order number from the order email, which I have, and looked it up and said that it had not shipped yet.

So excited about getting the Aura, can't wait for that shipped email!
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #435
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
exactly my point.

kobo insist us being slaves to a pile of hardware using the very laborious one at a time bookshelf idiocy.
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your point but the current crop of ereaders are manufactured for the masses and the masses don't care (or do not know enough to care). And it's not just Kobo.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote