Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
moji3000
moji3000 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem, Kindle doesn't open my mobi file

Hi
I am developer and i decided to write a export odt to mobi plugin for the software (Calligra Author) that i am working on it. After attempts i succed to write it or better to say not succed because now calibre can open and show the files but kindle can't.

I check the differences between my file and other files ( mobi files that i had created them with mobi packet creator and calibre). I don't know where is the problem and where i am working wrong.

I attached my file. I really like to do to make my file work because i am working on it for month, and i realy need help.

and sorry if i write bad because my english is not very good.

Regards moji
Attached Files
File Type: mobi testfile.mobi (19.2 KB, 235 views)
moji3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Hi! Welcome to MobileRead!

I can't help you with the file validation, but it did also break my copy of Kindle 4PC.

But we do have a number of developers around here who have worked on the guts of Mobi files. One of them should be able to help you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could have a look at the code of Calibre and see if that helps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Have you looked at the Mobiperl tools?
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl

Mobils might help you compare your output to a known-good mobi file.
Plus the source code for the HTML to Mobi converter might be useful.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The problem is that you've not converted the html from your original source (whatever that may be) into any kind of valid mobi markup. It's a MOBI by all external appearances (the binary database structure is valid), but that's about it. Your internal mobi markup frankly looks like straight-up HTML4 -- complete with inline CSS. That'll never fly on any MOBI app/device. Calibre views it because calibre's viewer doesn't really render MOBIs. It extracts the contents of all ebooks into an OEBPS-compliant format for viewing.

Hit up the MOBI WIKI here, and use something like Mobi_Unpack.py to see what the markup looks like inside some valid MOBIs.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Mobi forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Given that Kindle is my platform of choice at the moment I really should get my a** into gear and learn the mobi format a bit. I could possibly put together a couple of utilities to help me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
moji3000

Thanks for all of your answers.
DiapDealer i will use Mobi mark up and will back again.
but i have used Mobi_unpack to unpack my mobi files its html is ok but in its debug
ther are some thing that i think should be the problem.
These are the part of unpack debug:

Section is 7
First 4 bytes: 46 4c 49 53
Skipping FLIS section
Section is 8
First 4 bytes: 46 43 49 53
Skipping FCIS section
Section is 9
Skip section 9 as it contains the EOF record.

I don't have any idea !!
Thank all again.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
but i have used Mobi_unpack to unpack my mobi files its html is ok
Quite frankly, it's not "OK". The raw markup contained in your mobi is quite invalid (for MOBIPOCKET).

Use calibre or kindlegen to convert your source material to a MOBI. Then use Mobi_Unpack to examine the raw markup they produce as compared to the raw markup in your mobi. The difference will be quite apparent. MOBI-markup is more akin to HTML3.2 -- all inline attributes and no styles/classes.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-15-2012 at 06:21 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
moji3000

Hi DiapDealer
Thanks for your help

As you told me i put a standard mobi mark up in mobi and now kindle can open my ebooks but an uncmpress one.

Thank you
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
moji3000

Hi all
again me and my mobi converter problem.
The problem is now about image, its html is standard as i know and think header is ok too.

But Kindle desktop previewer can not open it. :/
Again no idea why!!

I have attached file.

Moji
Attached Files
File Type: mobi testmobi777.mobi (112.9 KB, 210 views)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moji3000 View Post
Hi all
again me and my mobi converter problem.
The problem is now about image, its html is standard as i know and think header is ok too.

But Kindle desktop previewer can not open it. :/
Again no idea why!!

I have attached file.

Moji
I don't know precisely what you've got wrong or missing that Kindle wants, but here's your file after running through mobiunpack and kindlegen 2.7 and then mobiunpack again to get the non-KF3 format portion.

By comparing the files (use mobiunpack in dump mode) and tweaking the file you generate, you should be able to find out which bits you need.

But bear in mind that there's no guarantee. The Mobi file format is officially undocumented.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi mobi7-testmobi777.mobi (93.1 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
moji3000

Thank you pdurrant

But it didn't help me, any idea?

when i get diff from my ebook and one of calibre ebook (mobi) in headers
There is an attribute "Extra Record Data Flags"
( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI#MOBI_Header) in mobi header
That for calibre is "1". This attribute is important? and it can be the problem?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moji3000 View Post
Thank you pdurrant

But it didn't help me, any idea?

when i get diff from my ebook and one of calibre ebook (mobi) in headers
There is an attribute "Extra Record Data Flags"
( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI#MOBI_Header) in mobi header
That for calibre is "1". This attribute is important? and it can be the problem?

The Extra Record Data Flags indicate whether there is extra info at the end of each text section in the book. The multibyte bytes flag indicates that in utf8 files the text sections include the extra bytes making up a utf-8 character if it happens to break between sections, so that complete characters can still be obtained without decoding two sections at once. (The mobiunpack code handles these).

The other two bits indicate other stuff that can be at the end of the text sections. Since you're creating the file, and it only currently has one small text section, this is not your problem.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
moji3000

Hi

I fixed the problem and now i support images too.
The problem was about two bytes zero.
After the text i should add two bytes zero.
This two bytes zero called "Magic Records ".

Thanks from all.