Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #406
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
As for the Memory of the Glo it truly can hold over 1000 books and much more if you use an SD card. Now there are things to keep in mind when using the external memory to store books, even I who don't use that memory, have heard about that. But I bet Bookripper must have crammed unceremoniously a whole bunch of poorly formatted, css flawed rips and mixed them with books in the internal memory, thus creating issues.
Bookripper has a valid point there, so I'm not sure why he's taking so much flak for it, even before the argument got out of control. For any sizable collection of books the normal author and title lists are going to be virtually useless for reasonably quick access (my list is already 78 pages long with small icons). The other option, shelves, work fairly well, unless you really start adding them... which you will to be able to work with any sizeable collection. My glo barely handles a shelf per author as it is. If I add series as shelves as well (for a 130 or so total shelves), I'm looking at 6-10 seconds of waiting anytime the shelves list is opened. So while the Kobo can technically hold many thousands of books, it can't practically deal with them with the tools supplied.

I fully realise that at some point any device will run into the problem of the lists getting too long for easy navigation, even with directory structures, but that point should not be on the horizon even when using the internal memory. From that perspective, a directory listing would be easy to implement, and very fast in use. It doesn't need to process a database at all. It can function nicely alongside the other browsing options, nobody I'm aware of is suggesting replacing one for the other.

One new issue I ran into was a tap on the screen fails, then the next tap(s) turns the page(s) backwards. Can't realiable reproduce it, but it seems to mainly happen when I'm reading on the train.

Last edited by ijdod; 10-28-2012 at 07:00 PM.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #407
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
See now that complaint was actually helpful and at no point did I want to rap your knuckles while reading it.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #408
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo Touch only processing covers as they are loaded now lets you have more books on SD while it slows displaying new books list page. I suppose this is improvement over not being able to display covers. My T1 would totally stall as I was trying to page through 2000 books list with covers. It was locked up trying to process and load covers from database until battery charge was gone. Solution was turn off cover display. Still was easier to find books on T1 than Kobo because as I used page number slider to find book title or author, The titles or the authors were scanned by instead of not as useful page numbers. Tiny change big improvement.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #409
Raindrop
wanderer
Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Here's a portuguese review on the Kobo Glo: Revolucao Digital

For those who don't understand the language, there's some nice pictures and videos (although one is out of focus, but informative nonetheless).
Raindrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #410
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
Here's a portuguese review on the Kobo Glo: Revolucao Digital

For those who don't understand the language, there's some nice pictures and videos (although one is out of focus, but informative nonetheless).
Thanks for the link.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #411
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I got my Kobo Glo last night and I really love it
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #412
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I am liking my Glo but the font is a bit pale. The first day I had it I kept picking up my Kindle because the contrast was better but I am now only using the Kobo and am adapting to the lighter font. I'm not quite ready to get rid of the Kindle but am hopeful that I can become a Kobo convert.

It hasn't had any glitches (I know to avoid the desktop app and just stick to Calibre and ADE) and the light is great. It is very evenly distributed.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #413
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I am liking my Glo but the font is a bit pale. The first day I had it I kept picking up my Kindle because the contrast was better but I am now only using the Kobo and am adapting to the lighter font. I'm not quite ready to get rid of the Kindle but am hopeful that I can become a Kobo convert.
You can adjust the font a bit. When reading, bring up the bottom menu and press the font icon. If you are using a Kobo supplied font, press the "Advanced" next to the font name. Then you can adjust the "Weight" and "Sharpness" of the font. Hopefully you can get it to how you like it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #414
wrenn1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can adjust the font a bit. When reading, bring up the bottom menu and press the font icon. If you are using a Kobo supplied font, press the "Advanced" next to the font name. Then you can adjust the "Weight" and "Sharpness" of the font. Hopefully you can get it to how you like it.
WOW, that is perfect. I am officially a convert. Thank you so much.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #415
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After reading on my Glo all weekend I'm very happy that I got it the only thing that would make it perfect would be to have a bigger memory since all my books are on the Kobo cloud and I love to have them all on my devices
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #416
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
You have (well) over 1000 kepubs? Wow. I take it the device won't automatically shove them onto a SD card then?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #417
estelle58
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
You have (well) over 1000 kepubs? Wow. I take it the device won't automatically shove them onto a SD card then?
I have over 450 books and it's too much for the memory and no the device doesn't automatically shove them onto a SD card
Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #418
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
One new issue I ran into was a tap on the screen fails, then the next tap(s) turns the page(s) backwards. Can't realiable reproduce it, but it seems to mainly happen when I'm reading on the train.
When the tap on the screen fails try swiping. I tap generally but when it seems to freeze I swipe once and is okay again.

I do get random events while tapping such as one page forward or three pages back. Mildly annoying but still more consistent page turning than my T1.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #419
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
I have over 450 books and it's too much for the memory and no the device doesn't automatically shove them onto a SD card
I have 508 books on my Glo - about 110 are Kepubs, the rest sideloaded epubs - and it fills less than half of my Glo's memory.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #420
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Light always on

I notice a few people saying they prefer to keep the light on all the time.

Is there a setting or combination of settings that achieves this, even when the Glo puts itself to sleep? I can't make that work on mine. If I put it to sleep, then turn it on: light on, but if it puts itself to sleep and I turn it back on: light off. Annoying...
markino is offline   Reply With Quote