Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
evelynne_r
evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
My Kobo Glo was also processed in Mississauga this morning. As I'm in Montreal, I'll probably get it tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
evelynne_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Got mine today and quite impressed so far
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
evelynne_r
evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I've been scouring the Interwebs, and so far found few reviews of the Kobo Glo. It's kind of been swamped by the launch of the Kindle Paperwhite. It's real pity. I'm very much looking forward to getting my Glo tomorrow.

I am interested to hear though; Amazon suggests leaving the frontlight on most of the time while you're reading. I'm curious to see what you guys do with the Glo.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelynne_r View Post
I've been scouring the Interwebs, and so far found few reviews of the Kobo Glo. It's kind of been swamped by the launch of the Kindle Paperwhite. It's real pity. I'm very much looking forward to getting my Glo tomorrow.

I am interested to hear though; Amazon suggests leaving the frontlight on most of the time while you're reading. I'm curious to see what you guys do with the Glo.
I find with the light on minimum it works quite well being left on all the time, it's not looking white, but if you go in any dark area you can still read well.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Please remember that the Kobo Glo has not formally launched--it has sorta leaked out in various places. Not a word about the devices appears on the Kobo blog and you still can't buy them from Kobo itself. Kobo may or may not have sent them to the tech journalists in the US. If they did send them, they no doubt have an embargo for release of reviews until the formal device launch.

If I were Kobo, I would delay this a bit until the Amazon Paperwhite orgy was over .

A bit of history--back in the day--when Chapters Indigo had a majority share of Kobo--a device preordered through Chapters would arrive the day before the official launch. I ordered my Glow in early September. It appears to be walking from Ontario as it will be here October 4--the day before what is rumoured to be launch day in Canada.

Last edited by taming; 10-02-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
evelynne_r

Wail! Canada Post was showing my Kobo Glo out for delivery this morning. Then it switched back to at the depot.

Canada Post says there was a problem at the depot and I should get it tomorrow. Darn. I really wanted it today.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Please remember that the Kobo Glo has not formally launched--it has sorta leaked out in various places. Not a word about the devices appears on the Kobo blog and you still can't buy them from Kobo itself.

The Glo was announced on the blog on September 6.

http://blog.kobobooks.com/welcome-th...-for-everyone/

At that time, Kobo's PR department put out an official press release announcing the new line to the world. Here it is at PRNewsWire:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...168728666.html

And here's their page on the main Kobobooks E-readers section:

http://www.kobo.com/koboglo

I don't quite get what's unofficial, informal, or leaky about that?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
It would be nice if they would announce a "Partnership" in the U.S......
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The fact that none of those places list a street date that is any more precise then "October".

Some devices have shipped, some have not. However the official street date, when they should be available everywhere (at least in any particular market that the date is announced for) hasn't been made yet.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
It would be nice if they would announce a "Partnership" in the U.S......
They did announce a partnership in the U.S.: http://blog.kobobooks.com/discover-e...s-association/

And so far it seems to be paying dividends: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192971

Doesn't help an American get a Glo or Arc before Christmas, though, which was perhaps your point.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
From my perspective, the official launch of the Kobo Glo and Mini was yesterday when their availability was announced on the Kobo blog. International, in this case, means Canada and the UK. See: http://blog.kobobooks.com/new-kobo-g...oss-canada-uk/

Before that, we knew they were coming, but no dates were officially attached by Kobo to a release schedule. The news they were coming has been out there for awhile, it was the devices, not the news, that I saw as leaking out before the official availability was announced.

Last edited by taming; 10-06-2012 at 06:02 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #27
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Before that, we knew they were coming, but no dates were officially attached by Kobo to a release schedule. The news they were coming has been out there for awhile, it was the devices, not the news, that I saw as leaking out before the official availability was announced.
Well, I don't think Chapters/Indigo shipping out pre-orders was exactly devices "leaking out". I think of stores breaking street dates as them leaking out.

Speaking of which, I decided to pre-order the Kobo Arc (64GB) from Chapters/Indigo because pre-orders were shipping prior to the street date for the Glo.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote