Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
650 - Clip On Light Instead of Lighted Cover

I plan to get the Sony lighted case for travel convenience & protection but prefer not to use a case for my 650 reading at home.

Can anyone recommend a clip-on light that will work with the 650?
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm using a Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2 booklight. Works quite well for my needs.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I just got the Kandle from Amazon.com. It works great with my PRS-650. I hate trying to use booklights with those long bendy necks because they always feel "wobbly" to me. The Kandle has a short neck that aims the light directly down the length of the screen. Here's the white one: http://www.amazon.com/Kandle-Designe...8820123&sr=8-1

They also have it in black.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like the ebook-Lite from Target which is similar to the Kandle. It was ~$20. I like how it aims a larger amount of light on the screen. It has a spring clip that adjusts to different thicknesses so it works with several ereader brands and cover combos. It also has hi & lo settings. I use it with my Sonys and my Kindle.
http://capstoneindustries.com/ebook•lite.aspx

I also have a mini clip-on Book Owl light with a flexi-neck that I got in the check-out lane at Borders. It was ~ $10. It focuses the light on a smaller area so I have to adjust it more often. However, it's convenient for carrying in my purse.
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...=9781931931472
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
[QUOTE=Bookworm_Girl;1198151]I like the ebook-Lite from Target which is similar to the Kandle. It was ~$20. I like how it aims a larger amount of light on the screen. It has a spring clip that adjusts to different thicknesses so it works with several ereader brands and cover combos. It also has hi & lo settings. I use it with my Sonys and my Kindle.
http://capstoneindustries.com/ebook•lite.aspx

Yep, this is the one I have. I think it overlaps the screen just a little, outside of my cover, but a little bit of foam or sponge takes care of that no problem.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuzaboss View Post
I'm using a Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2 booklight. Works quite well for my needs.

The best I have come across during 4 years of ebook reading.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I recently got both the Kandle and the Mighty Bright TravelFlex. I prefer the TravelFlex. The Kandle is more compact and has 2 LEDs, but the light is uneven. Although the gooseneck on the TravelFlex is a bit fiddly, it can be arranged to illuminate the screen fairly evenly. Also, I like being able to use just one AAA battery--I can use a rechargeable, saving money and reducing waste.

I'm sure the XtraFlex2 would give even better illumination (2 LEDs instead of one), at the cost of more bulk and weight for the battery case.
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The best clip-on light I've come across is my gf's. Believe she got it from Costco. Very similar to this Ritelite from Amazon but has 4 LEDs instead of 5: http://www.amazon.com/Ritelite-LPL79...3481729&sr=1-2

Problem is, I can't find the 4-LED version anywhere! (And no Costco nearby.) But the light is amazingly even on the screen with no glare. Has blue glowing spots on the back behind the LEDs. The gooseneck also detaches and plugs into a usb port, or use it with the 3-AAA battery clip-on base. This light is much better than any other I've tried, incl. the 'candy-bar' z-light and the regular Mighty Bright. The 5-LED version will probably work great as well, but the 4-LED version should be fine for any ebook device. Does anyone know where to find the 4-LED version (online)?.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDane View Post
I plan to get the Sony lighted case for travel convenience & protection but prefer not to use a case for my 650 reading at home.

Can anyone recommend a clip-on light that will work with the 650?
In my experience, the MightyBright flex models are the best out there, as mentioned above.

But if you don't use the case, what are going to clip it on? I guess you could directly clip it on the unit, but I would be afraid that would scratch it. Maybe not? Or, maybe, you don't care, I guess people differ in that regard.

And, frankly, why not use the case? Even with it, the device is still very light... Or is weight really your issue?

The only downside I see is the limited battery life of the light on the case.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Like CandyDane, I prefer a bare reader at home. The lighted case is convenient for those times when carrying a separate light would be inconvenient, but it's chunky and the battery life doesn't hold up to the long reading sessions I indulge in at home.

Of the dozens of reading lights in my drawer, the Belkin is my favorite. It works with or without a case and it casts even light over everything from my PRS-350 to my Kindle DX. Three AAA batteries are the heaviest component, but the actual light weighs almost nothing. I've used it daily, for almost six months, as a reading light and as a flashlight. Battery life is great.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Clip-Re...dp/B003HKRVAW/

Based on reviews, I'm in the minority with my intense dislike of the Kandle. I found the illumination annoyingly uneven and its limited adjustability means that it casts a shadow on the recessed Sony screen. If you position the light too far back, the clip causes the shadow, too far forward, and the the shadow is cast by the reader's ... bezel is the wrong word, but I don't know the right one. I have two Kandles, and I tried using them in tandem to enhance the light coverage, but the result was unsatisfying.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I have a Kandle but I'm probably going to break up with it soon. The light is uneven and it goes dim after only a few hours of reading, plus the batteries are tough to find.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I have a Kandle but I'm probably going to break up with it soon. The light is uneven and it goes dim after only a few hours of reading, plus the batteries are tough to find.
Does the Kandle use special batteries? I like the Capstone eBook Lite model which is a copy of the Kandle. The Capstone lights evenly, uses 2 AAA batteries and is so bright that I usually keep it on the low setting. I've read for several hours and haven't replaced the batteries yet. Good to know your experience with the Kandle. I was wondering how it compared.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Does the Kandle use special batteries? I like the Capstone eBook Lite model which is a copy of the Kandle. The Capstone lights evenly, uses 2 AAA batteries and is so bright that I usually keep it on the low setting. I've read for several hours and haven't replaced the batteries yet. Good to know your experience with the Kandle. I was wondering how it compared.
Yes, the Kandle uses large lithium cell batteries (about the size of a quarter) that are typically used in computers. They don't come cheap and I run through a pair once a week.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Yes, the Kandle uses large lithium cell batteries (about the size of a quarter) that are typically used in computers. They don't come cheap and I run through a pair once a week.
Sounds like a break up is necessary. I would find that annoying too.