Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #31
adq
Enthusiast
adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefx View Post
Just tested 0.4-PRETEST3 and I'm sorry to say that the refresh issues are the same.If I want to play a game, I need to do the screensaver trick.

(The SAVE/RESTORE didin't refresh the screen neither)
OK, looking at my code, there is a major difference with the main game panel in that I explicitly set the layout manager to null so I can control the panel positions manually.

If you could try http://lidskialf.net/kif-0.4-PRETEST4.zip I've made a layout manager which does nothing in case this is what the KDX is objecting to.
adq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #32
charliefx
charliefx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Tested and... it works!
charliefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #33
guyincognito
guyincognito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I was using the enter button. The select button does the trick. Do you still need the log?
guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #34
adq
Enthusiast
adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Tested and... it works!
Fantastic!!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #35
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I was using the enter button. The select button does the trick. Do you still need the log?
Nah - I'll see if I can get it to accept ENTER as well.

I keep doing the same thing myself.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #36
charliefx
charliefx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I've spend the last coupe of days playing a lot of games in with KIF and everything works fine, but yesterday I try to play Slouch Towards Bedlan but looks like didn't work fine.Whe I type any action (x desk, look,...) the games didn't show any response, if I hit [Enter], without type new orders, I get an error about the empty line but then the games show the answer for the previous command.Weird.

The game runs Ok in Gargoyle, on Windows (same z-code archive I tried on the kindle).

I get this new log.txt

Quote:
VM Error
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at org.zmpp.base.DefaultMemory.readUnsigned8(Compiled Method)(DefaultMemory.java:57)
at org.zmpp.vm.MachineImpl.readUnsigned8(Compiled Method)(MachineImpl.java:269)
at org.zmpp.instructions.C2OpInstruction.loadb(Compil ed Method)(C2OpInstruction.java:354)
at org.zmpp.instructions.C2OpInstruction.execute(Comp iled Method)(C2OpInstruction.java:108)
at org.zmpp.ExecutionControl.run(Compiled Method)(ExecutionControl.java:211)
at org.zmpp.ExecutionControl.resumeWithInput(Executio nControl.java:240)
at net.lidskialf.kif.KifKindlet$GameThread.run(KifKin dlet.java:718)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:694)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:758)
VM Error
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at org.zmpp.base.DefaultMemory.readUnsigned8(Compiled Method)(DefaultMemory.java:57)
at org.zmpp.vm.MachineImpl.readUnsigned8(Compiled Method)(MachineImpl.java:269)
at org.zmpp.instructions.C2OpInstruction.loadb(Compil ed Method)(C2OpInstruction.java:354)
at org.zmpp.instructions.C2OpInstruction.execute(Comp iled Method)(C2OpInstruction.java:108)
at org.zmpp.ExecutionControl.run(Compiled Method)(ExecutionControl.java:211)
at org.zmpp.ExecutionControl.resumeWithInput(Executio nControl.java:240)
at net.lidskialf.kif.KifKindlet$GameThread.run(KifKin dlet.java:718)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:694)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:758)
Hope this helps you to improve KIF.I you want try to fix it I can run any test you neeed.
charliefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #37
andrew121
andrew121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G+WiFi
Working great on my K3G running 3.0.3! Thanks!
andrew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #38
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
I've spend the last coupe of days playing a lot of games in with KIF and everything works fine, but yesterday I try to play Slouch Towards Bedlan but looks like didn't work fine.Whe I type any action (x desk, look,...) the games didn't show any response, if I hit [Enter], without type new orders, I get an error about the empty line but then the games show the answer for the previous command.Weird.

The game runs Ok in Gargoyle, on Windows (same z-code archive I tried on the kindle).

I get this new log.txt

Hope this helps you to improve KIF.I you want try to fix it I can run any test you neeed.
Interesting, as the log says, that looks like a VM bug; I must get in touch with the original VM developer anyway (I've just applied a GUI over it for the kindle).
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #39
wmarsh
wmarsh began at the beginning.

Old DAT Files

Thanks Adq, for this great Z machine interpreter.

I have loved these games for 30 years.

Note it also loads the z5 version of Adventure.

One thing you might want to easily fix, is to add the ability to load the *.DAT files Infocom originally shipped their games as. Frotz has this capability.

A work-around is to open your DAT file in a hex editor. The first digit is the z machine version of your DAT file, usually 3.

Then rename the file from *.DAT to *.z#, where # is the digit you found.

The DAT files from the Lost Treasures of Infocom work when renamed as follows:

z3: BALLYHOO, CUTTHROA, DEADLINE, ENCHANTE, HOLLYWOO, INFIDEL, LEATHER, LURKING, MOONMIST, PLANETFA, PLUNDERE, SEASTALK, SORCERER, SPELLBRE, STARCROS, STATIONF, SUSPECT, SUSPEND, WISHBRIN, WITNESS, ZORK1, ZORK2, ZORK3

z4: AMFV, BUREAUCR, NORDANDB, TRINITY

z5: BEYONDZO, BORDERZO, HITCHHIK, SHERLOCK

Note that z5 versions of LEATHER, ZORK1, ZORK2, and ZORK3 exist. The last 3 (and possibly all 4) are freely downloadable.

I have not yet tried renaming ZORKZERO.ZIP to ZORKZERO.z6, but I rather doubt if this will work.
wmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #40
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Just thought I'd add some useful code for those who want the flexibility to be able to download games and play them on the fly.
Firstly install the FreeDownload Hack.

This will allow you to download whatever files you wish, but you need to let the Kindle know which ones, so open the freedownload.conf in the freedownload folder and add z3 z4 z5 z6 z8 and zblorb to the ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS line. ie mine looks like this:
ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS='pdf epub rtf zip cbz mp3 ogg z3 z4 z5 z6 z8 zblorb'

Then, in that same freedownload.conf file add the following lines:
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z3=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z4=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z5=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z6=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z8=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_zblorb=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work

You will then be able to download any of those files from within the browser, and be able to play them straight away.
NOTE: The FreeDownload hack only works in wifi, not when browsing with 3G.

You can download from any of your favourite games sites - the IFDB, Baf's guide to the Interactive Fiction Archive, etc. I find the IF Database a good source with direct links and informative reviews. These games are sorted by rating (the 'best' first), but you can click on the search function and do your own search if you want to look for a genre or era of game, game name, etc. To make it easier for next time you might even like to add a bookmark.

Aaand you're done. You can search for and add any game you like, directly from your Kindle, and not have to plug into your computer whenever you want to play something new. Hope this helped. Happy Gaming!

Last edited by Tanga; 12-01-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Readability
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #41
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Aw, too bad...not K5 compatible ;(
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb2000 View Post
Aw, too bad...not K5 compatible ;(
err... this is a z-machine engine thingy right?

K5... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...40&postcount=4
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #43
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

KIF alternate Z files

Could anyone post the amendments/amended file which allows other z games such as .z8 (e.g. Lost Pig) to work.. I know it exists out there somewhere.
smartgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
err...

http://zacaj.com/dumbfrotz.zip

was the last I heard.

But it is MISSING now.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
err...

http://zacaj.com/dumbfrotz.zip

was the last I heard.

But it is MISSING now.
I saved a copy at the time :
Attached Files
File Type: zip dumbfrotz.zip (114.4 KB, 191 views)
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote