Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Rockstone
Rockstone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Fantasy Book Awake (Are We)? recommendation

Hello my name is Marty C

I live in Portsmouth, England. It is a small city outside of London and is on the south sea front. We have a natural port in my city and it was used in World War 2 to allow the ships to sail for the Normandy beaches of France. We also have a number old ships including the Mary Rose and Nelson Victory.

Although I am the author of Awake (Are We)? the title above was me asking for book recommendation of other fantasy stories.

Now that I have got mine publish I would like to read others. While writing the 3 parts I kept away from any books so I would not get to influenced.

So Please if you have a list of books let me know. I would like to get back to reading again.

I have read since completed the book.

Twlight (and now there is a movie)
Eargon
Confessor
Neverwhere

So if you have a list of any more please let me know.

Thank you all

Last edited by Rockstone; 12-19-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Rockstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

G'day Marty,

Welcome to MobileRead. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I'm not sure I can offer any recommendations, since I have read none of the listed books (though I do have Neverwhere somewhere in the TBR piles). If I had to take a punt, I'd go with Clive Barker's Weaveworld or Imagica, though these are aimed at a more "adult" audience than, let's say, Twilight or Eragon (I'm not diminishing those books in any way by saying so, but just mentioning it by way of satisfying expectations to some degree).

Again, welcome. Perhaps you could link to your book in your signature, give people a chance to take a look at it?

Last edited by montsnmags; 12-21-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Edited after OP edited their own post to clarifiy and change its content
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm not certain if this is the kind of book for you, but it's recognized as a classic in the field. It's a different kind of book, similar in wit to James Branch Cabell's urban fantasies - which I love and collect in First Editions.

The name of this book is "Silverlock," by John Myers Myers.

Perhaps if you can read the first few pages, you'll know if the book is for you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Rockstone
Rockstone began at the beginning.

Thank you for the warm Welcome.

I am always open to read new types of books. I have made notes of the few given. I only get the chance to read a few a year. Its always easier when people recommend to you rather than trying to hunt around in a book store or online for ever.

Thank you again
and Happy New Year!
Rockstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
shawnalynn
shawnalynn began at the beginning.

new books

Hi, I am uncertain if you like fantasy horror, (Just a little horror) but there is a new book that seems to get great reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/145...ef=oss_product
shawnalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnalynn View Post
Hi, I am uncertain if you like fantasy horror, (Just a little horror) but there is a new book that seems to get great reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/145...ef=oss_product

It is very disingenuous to recommend a book you wrote without mentioning that fact. Our Members do not appreciate it and the Moderators at MobileRead do not appreciate it.

On another note - and a lighter one, I might add - we do welcome you to MobileRead. Please read our Posting Guidelines at the top of every page.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
There is a lot of great fantasy fiction out there, so a list of recommendations could easily run over several pages. However, if I have to pick a single author whose last name isn't Tolkien, it will have to be Guy Gavriel Kay. I've been devouring fantasy books (amongst other genres) ever since I discovered Lord of the Rings at the age of 13, now seemingly a very, very long time ago, and for me G. G. Kay stands out due to his ability to make me feel for his characters. It also doesn't hurt that he's excellent at creating original stories and backdrops, in a genre which can often suffer from a lack of originality.

If you decide to check him out, his best books are, in my opinion and in no particular order of preference, these:

Tigana
The Lions of Al-Rassan
The Fionavar Tapestry (trilogy)

Staying with authors with a flair for originality, I also highly recommend Robert Holdstock's "Mythago Wood Cycle". This is contemporary fantasy rather than classic swords & sorcery, but ought to suit any lover of fantasy. The cycle contains 9 books in all, but start with the original, Mythago Wood, if you're interested. It's entirely self-contained and you'll find out if it's something for you.

Finally, if you really want to get stuck into something big, I'd recommend Steven Erikson's "Malazan Books of the Fallen" series, currently containing 9 books. This is gritty, no-holds-barred war and magic in an extremely well realised and original world. The books are somewhat uneven, ranging in quality from fantastic to just merely good, but if it turns out to be your kind of thing it's a hell of a ride.

Best of luck!

- Bel
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
shawnalynn
shawnalynn began at the beginning.

Sorry, my mistake

Hi, I am sorry I should have mentioned that was my book. I will be certain to mention that fact next time. Thank you for the welcome.
Hope to talk to you all soon, Shawna Lynn
shawnalynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, read