Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
The Cuckoo's Egg

If you haven't read The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll you should give it a look.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Can you please explain why we should give this book a look?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Give me your reason, and then I'll make a decision on whether to "give it a look".

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you please explain why we should give this book a look?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Give me your reason, and then I'll make a decision on whether to "give it a look".
I have no idea whether either of you should read it, but it is a memoir of an astronomer roped into system administration dealing with a cracker trying to break into his system in the time shortly after the internet was opened to the public. It's sort of a spy thriller where all the action is online. In addition to having to outwit the cracker, he has to deal with clueless bosses and government officials. IMO it is interesting and well written.

By the way, the cracker had broken into military and industrial computers all over the world, but Stoll was the one who tracked him down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Stoll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Hess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo%27s_Egg

Last edited by j.p.s; 10-05-2020 at 09:49 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:07 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I read it long ago in paper. I think the original event was back in 1989. Think War Games or Sneakers, but in real life. I enjoyed the book a lot, but of course I'm a programmer who had to dabble in computer security during that time period because someone had to do the job and I got nominated. The book was a best seller, so it wasn't just computer geeks who liked it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 05:20 AM   #6
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I read it years ago too. I think I still have the book one the shelves somewhere.

Think techno detective story, as Stoll eventually triggers an international investigation.

Well written, fascinating piece of history.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:33 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I too read it many years ago. Well written (IMO) and an interesting insight into early espionage hacking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuckoos-Egg.../dp/1416507787

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available as an ebook!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I too read it many years ago. Well written (IMO) and an interesting insight into early espionage hacking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuckoos-Egg.../dp/1416507787

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available as an ebook!
It is available as an eBook in the US. It's not available as an eBook in the UK.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Others have done a fine job but I'll respond since I was asked. I guess I should have said a bit more but I thought Amazon does a great job in their blurb and folks would just "give it a look". My recollection is there was a 50 cents discrepancy in the billing in the computer lab. That caused Cliff Stoll to investigate and eventually led to a global hunt for hackers and spies. It is a very engaging "what happens next?" work.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Others have done a fine job but I'll respond since I was asked. I guess I should have said a bit more but I thought Amazon does a great job in their blurb and folks would just "give it a look". My recollection is there was a 50 cents discrepancy in the billing in the computer lab. That caused Cliff Stoll to investigate and eventually led to a global hunt for hackers and spies. It is a very engaging "what happens next?" work.
The reason I asked is because a book can have a description that sounds good but the book is not really all that good. Given what you and others have said, I will give it a go. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
My recollection is there was a 50 cents discrepancy in the billing in the computer lab.
Nah, you're MILES off. My copy says 75 cents.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Must have been inflation. It's 50 cents in my memory from a couple decades ago when I read it. Inflation hit my copy too as it's now 75 cents in it too.

Last edited by LDB; 10-06-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Interesting, I've seen several things with Cliff Stoll in them, mostly Numberphile videos, he's definitely an interesting and entertaining character. I'll need to see if I can get this.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
My recollection is there was a 50 cents discrepancy in the billing in the computer lab. That caused Cliff Stoll to investigate and eventually led to a global hunt for hackers and spies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Nah, you're MILES off. My copy says 75 cents.
A recounting discrepancy... Something's afoot!
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is available as an eBook in the US. It's not available as an eBook in the UK.
Yep, I just bought it as an ebook. I have the paper book in a box somewhere, I think, but ebook is so much more accessible for me. It's at $8, so I imagine there will be some howls of outrage.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote