Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
grantbarrett
grantbarrett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
OpenGL not found error 5.5 on macOS Big Sur

I don't see a way to file an issue ticket on Github, so I hope this will do.

I've run up against an issue that may have to do with changes Apple made to the location (or absence) of OpenGL frameworks on macOS 11 (Big Sur).

Calibre 5.5 was fine until I activated its web server. Now launch does not complete. The splash screen appears, then the app stops trying to load.

I then launched it from the terminal with the debug option to see what I could learn. The final line in the terminal before stopping is "FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory." I am attaching that terminal session here.

In the system logs, there are these three Calibre-related lines at the same time:

Nov 23 13:54:19 My-Server-Name com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Hit: app<application.net.kovidgoyal.calibre.12930261220 .12930261347(501)> [856]

Nov 23 13:54:26 My-Server-Name calibre[816]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory

Nov 23 13:54:26 My-Server-Name calibre[816]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

A quick Google search for relevant terms turns up many other projects running up against this problem. This discussion here seems relevant and enlightening:

https://github.com/ziglang/zig/issues/2208

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for the project and all the hard work over the years.
Attached Files
File Type: txt debug-terminal.txt (3.8 KB, 228 views)
grantbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That GitHub link is not what you want. Big Sur was not released in 2019.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
grantbarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That GitHub link is not what you want. Big Sur was not released in 2019.
Oops! You're right. I think these may be helfpul:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1651455
Old 11-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This doesnt have anything to do with OpenGL which neither calibre nor the calibre server use. This looks like an issue with something on your computer deleting the socket calibre uses to communicate with its worker processes. Probably a security program, which was triggerred by the starting of the webserver. Security programs often think servers are malware, since plebians are supposed to only consume content, not serve it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
grantbarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This doesnt have anything to do with OpenGL which neither calibre nor the calibre server use. This looks like an issue with something on your computer deleting the socket calibre uses to communicate with its worker processes. Probably a security program, which was triggerred by the starting of the webserver. Security programs often think servers are malware, since plebians are supposed to only consume content, not serve it.
Thank you, Kovid. I'll look into the firewall, the security permissions, and a few other things.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantbarrett View Post
Thank you, Kovid. I'll look into the firewall, the security permissions, and a few other things.
Any AV program that thinks Calibre is an issue should be deleted and replaced with one that works.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any AV program that thinks Calibre is an issue should be deleted and replaced with one that works.
What is your suggested replacement for Big Sur?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What is your suggested replacement for Big Sur?
That I cannot say as I don't have experience with OS X AV. I just know the rule of thumb regarding Calibre and false positivities.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #9
grantbarrett

Just to follow up, I am still having this problem. There are no antivirus or security applications running or installed. No firewall, no anti-malware, nothing. I've completely removed Calibre as far as I can tell. Is there more than the Calibre app to delete? I didn't find anything else. I reinstalled it using the latest version, 5.7.2. I've moved the books and database so it should be starting from scratch and not trying to load them. Yet, consistently it gives me these lines in the system log not long after start.

Dec 17 20:34:54 My-Computer-Name com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Hit: app<application.net.kovidgoyal.calibre.12933608386 .12933608513(501)> [10200]
Dec 17 20:34:56 My-Computer-Name calibre[6050]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory
Dec 17 20:34:56 My-Computer-Name calibre[6050]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
Old 01-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
grantbarrett

One step further: if I change

"autolaunch_server": true

to

"autolaunch_server": false

in

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/calibre/gui.py.json

Then Calibre starts just fine. So it's something to do with the book server.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The server most definitely doesnt use OopenGL.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big sur, launch, mac, macos, opengl