Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Terraforming sci-fi?

Does anyone have any recommendations for books where terraforming a planet/moon is a significant part of the story?

There's the Kim Stanley Robinson "Mars" series, and Dennis Taylor's Bobiverse has some in it, but I'm not sure what else is out there. I did some googling and only came up with some older books that were largely out of print.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
You mentioned them but if you haven't read them, I really enjoyed the Mars series.

I've not encountered any other books that are focused on terraforming; although, I would call Neil Stephenson's Seveneves a terraforming book too (in the most literal sense.)

There are some parts of the Honor Harrington series that deal with this (Grayson) and it looks like parts of the Vorkosigan saga do as well, but they are not stand alone works and the focus is elsewhere (at least for HH.)

I see a couple lists when Googling this that include some other books but I assume you've found those too.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Well, there is Terra Formars, a manga series about mutated cockroaches on a terraformed mars which was also adapted into an anime series and live action movies.
It's as deep as it sounds but it's fun trash.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:17 AM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Vintage example; The Sands of Mars, Arthur C Clarke, 1951.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Mention of KSR's Mars trilogy (which I loved) reminded me of his Aurora, toward the end of which he devotes a lengthy paragraph to basically saying he got it wrong with Mars, and that terraforming Mars would take millennia, if it were achievable. A very rare thing to read from an author, especially of a work that brought him acclaim.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Robert Charles Wilson's Spin includes a non-major but fascinating terraforming element.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for books where terraforming a planet/moon is a significant part of the story?
Perhaps Heinlein's Farmer in the Sky, about a teenaged boy who emigrates with his family to Jupiter's moon Ganymede, which is in the process of being terraformed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I read the Mars series, but enjoyed them less and less as the series progressed and became more about politics than terraforming. I didn't read #4 yet.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #9
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky has a terraforming aspect. If I recall correctly it focuses more on evolution than on the process of terraforming a planet. So it may not be exactly what you're looking for. It was an interesting read, though.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ildren-of-time

There is a sequel to the book (Children of Ruin) which I have not yet read.
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:30 AM   #10
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
As I recall John Christopher's old YA Tripod trilogy has a chilling take on terraforming.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I suppose that there's terraforming and terraforming! I enjoyed the concept in KSR's books but regretted not having a degree in chemistry when it came to the nitty-gritty of terraforming. That's where "hard sci-fi" got a bit too hard for me and my eyes glazed over the odd few pages.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Heart of the Comet by David Brin and Gregory Benford is about humans colonizing a comet. Very good book too.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Red Genesis which was the first of "The Next Wave" series:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1654743.Red_Genesis

which criminally isn't available as an ebook, but ought to be --- the entire series is quite good, and it's unfortunate it wasn't continued (if anyone knows of spiritual successors and other topics that should have been dealt with, I'd be glad to know of them).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote