Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Anyone used iPad for OCR, proofreading or editing book images?

I've never owned a single Apple device, Android gal here, but the new iPad Pro 10.5 is tempting me as a tablet. It would be nice to see how my ePubs perform in apps on iOS, but I am also hopeful that I could possibly do some actual work on ebooks with it.

I'm hoping something like having a PDF on one side of the screen while checking/editing/proofreading a text only document on the other side of the screen would be possible.

I'm also hoping that I could edit/fix scanned images of old, worn, dust jackets. Preferably with the availability of layers and a clone stamp, brush, and text tools. Does the Apple Pencil have fine control? On my computer, I often have set my brushes very small in Photoshop to clean up between title letters, for example.

Is this a pipe dream, or is some of this actually possible?

I often find that after I put an image edited on the computer on my tablet, I often see THINGS I MISSED FIXING thanks to the high 300ppi resolution of my tablet screen! So editing directly on a tablet might save me some grief....

Being able to do some basic OCR, i.e. converting image text to an actual plain text file would also be helpful.

Would love any insights from anyone who had used their iPad for their hobby of digitizing books!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, all of this is possible.

In terms of side by side viewing, note that both apps need to support Split View. Among PDF apps, at least Adobe Reader and GoodReader do, and no doubt several others. ePub reading apps with Split Screen support include iBooks, Marvin, Overdrive, Google Play Books ( sort of, you have to upload to your Google books Library first). Kobo, nook, Kindle apps do not support it.

There are apps that let you create and edit ePub files, ocr images or scanned PDFs.

And iOS 11, soon to be available, will greatly improve ability to work with files and enhance Split view functionality.

I would consider the 12.9" iPad Pro - it would give you more room to work with.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For PDF, go for GoodReader. It's the best app for dealing with PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, all of this is possible.

In terms of side by side viewing, note that both apps need to support Split View. Among PDF apps, at least Adobe Reader and GoodReader do, and no doubt several others. ePub reading apps with Split Screen support include iBooks, Marvin, Overdrive, Google Play Books ( sort of, you have to upload to your Google books Library first). Kobo, nook, Kindle apps do not support it.

There are apps that let you create and edit ePub files, ocr images or scanned PDFs.

And iOS 11, soon to be available, will greatly improve ability to work with files and enhance Split view functionality.

I would consider the 12.9" iPad Pro - it would give you more room to work with.
Thanks! So there are apps that support straight text files for editing? Any of those support split screen?

And can image editing apps save files in formats I can use back in Photoshop on the computer if necessary?

Is it hard to get stuff back and forth between computer and iPad? It's easy on Android, just plug in, drag n' drop or copy/paste. Because I'd still be using the computer for some work, just would like the option to be mobile and able to do bits and not be tied to the computer all the time. I gotta justify this somehow..... 😂

Are there any problems with renaming files, images or screenshots on iPad or copying and making a duplicate file? I like to do my edits, then name the file with chapter and page where I left off.

Renaming screenshots is very important, I take lots, need meaningful names on them in order to search and find what I need when I need it.

I don't think I can afford the large 12" option, plus I think it would be a bit heavy and cumbersome. I like the idea of the 10.5", because it is lighter than my Pixel C. Which is hard enough to carry about, it barely fits my bag, don't want to go larger!

Old 09-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Anyone used iPad for OCR, proofreading or editing book images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Thanks! So there are apps that support straight text files for editing? Any of those support split screen?

And can image editing apps save files in formats I can use back in Photoshop on the computer if necessary?

Is it hard to get stuff back and forth between computer and iPad? It's easy on Android, just plug in, drag n' drop or copy/paste. Because I'd still be using the computer for some work, just would like the option to be mobile and able to do bits and not be tied to the computer all the time. I gotta justify this somehow..... 😂

Are there any problems with renaming files, images or screenshots on iPad or copying and making a duplicate file? I like to do my edits, then name the file with chapter and page where I left off.

Renaming screenshots is very important, I take lots, need meaningful names on them in order to search and find what I need when I need it.

I don't think I can afford the large 12" option, plus I think it would be a bit heavy and cumbersome. I like the idea of the 10.5", because it is lighter than my Pixel C. Which is hard enough to carry about, it barely fits my bag, don't want to go larger!

iOS 11 will soon be out which gives you an app called Files which will let you rename and access files from other services.

Image editing apps are more plentiful on iOS than on Android. Depending on your editing needs, there are things like Affinity Photo which is a full on desktop class app for iPad that is compatible with Photoshop. It costs money and quite a bit but it is as good as its desktop counterpart.

Screenshot++ is a very good screenshot manager. It lets you add frames albeit frames for iOS devices as well as managing screenshots in folders, etc.

As far as straight text files? So many apps to choose from on iOS. Byword, iA Writer, Editorial, Ulysses though Ulysses is subscription only now but it is also a full blown novel/blog/serious writing app.

You can't see the filesystem on the iPad on your computer natively but you can buy an app for Mac and PC called iMazing which will give you access to the filesystem on your iPad. That's really the best way. Or you can install iTunes which will give you the option of dragging items into specific apps on your iPad.

You can duplicate and rename files on iOS but it will be easier with iOS 11 which comes out on the 19th.

If you need anymore assistance I'd be happy to help.

Also: PDF Expert is probably a better bet than Goodreader as Goodreader hasn't had a significant update in years. I heard they're working on v5 but that's been happening for months now.

The pencil is absolutely precise. No worries there.

Let me know if I can help further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by sydmalicious; 09-15-2017 at 01:16 PM.
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
iOS 11 will soon be out which gives you an app called Files which will let you rename and access files from other services.

Image editing apps are more plentiful on iOS than on Android. Depending on your editing needs, there are things like Affinity Photo which is a full on desktop class app for iPad that is compatible with Photoshop. It costs money and quite a bit but it is as good as its desktop counterpart.

Screenshot++ is a very good screenshot manager. It lets you add frames albeit frames for iOS devices as well as managing screenshots in folders, etc.

As far as straight text files? So many apps to choose from on iOS. Byword, IA Writer, Editorial, Ulysses though Ulysses is subscription only now but it is also a full blown novel/blog/serious writing app.

You can't see the filesystem on the iPad on your computer natively but you can buy an app for Mac and PC called iMazing which will give you access to the filesystem on your iPad. That's really the best way. Or you can install iTunes which will give you the option of dragging items into specific apps on your iPad.

You can duplicate and rename files on iOS but it will be easier with iOS 11 which comes out on the 19th.

If you need anymore assistance I'd be happy to help.

Also: PDF Expert is probably a better bet than Goodreader as Goodreader hasn't had a significant update in years. I heard they're working on v5 but that's been happening for months now.

The pencil is absolutely precise. No worries there.

Let me know if I can help further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you so much! It is helpful to have the names of apps I can try! Affinity sounds like it might be what I need, especially if compatible with Photoshop.

I admit it, I'm afraid I'll be a bit lost with an iPad. I love Android, the catch is that I like playing Golf Star and my Nexus 9 is getting a bit janky with that game. My Nexus 7 loads the game still, but playing is impossible with a stuttering swing meter. I like being able to have a tablet available, while another is charging. Yet, there doesn't seem much new in the way of Android tablets.

And I've had considerable curiosity about iPad, having heard there are more image editing apps. That and the Apple Pencil make it very intriguing. So I may end up being an Android phone/Apple iPad wielder....

Pixel C is going strong, got it on the developer discount and love it, very smooth, great display, but I wouldn't want to spend $500 to get a second one, seems better to get a newer device if I'm going to splurge. Plus it seems like Apple does a bit more in the way of update support. I like the idea of a device having a longer useful lifespan. Some of my Android purchases have been great that way, others, not so much.

I have a wedding anniversary and Xmas coming up, so.... That, and I could sell the Nexus 9.

Anyway, if I can take some of my ebook hobby / image editing mobile, that will be GREAT! I am excited about the possibility of image editing on a tablet! And if I get a lovely golf gaming experience, all the better.

I'm also hoping that the True Tone thing will make using a tablet more pleasant on my eyes as well!

Old 09-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
helpplease
helpplease began at the beginning.

Device: Mac, VM solutions
IPAD proofreading app - sep 2020 - latest?

Hello: sept 2020, Are there any IPAD proofreading apps that experienced proofreaders here on mobileread use? Or we still too early for this style technology.

for proofreading OCR text

I was hoping for an app, where
- original page is on left hand side, and the text to proofread is on the right hand side
- supports Apple Pencil
- train the AI, artificial intelligence to improve based on past choices
- nice to have, read aloud section of proofed text

Thankyou
helpplease is offline   Reply With Quote