Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #1
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Glo HD unresponsive

I've had similar problems to others with the GloHD not turning off the light when it sleeps, so have taken to powering off completely when I finish reading for the night.

Yesterday I tried to start the reader and all that happens is the red power light glows continuously. I can hold the button down and turn it off again, but there's no change on the screen - it's still showing the cover of the current book.

A reset with a paperclip does nothing; I left it on charge overnight in case there was a battery issue, but that too has made no difference.

When plugged in via USB, the red light comes on and stays on, but it's otherwise not doing anything.

I've tried all the various reset options, but nothing changes. I simply have the red light glowing solidly (no flashes at all), no change to the screen, and nothing else, unless I use a long push on the power button, which turns the red light off.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nigel
nwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

By way of further investigation, I've whipped the back off, and tried removing and reinserting the SD card, just in case it had come loose while jogging around in my pocket.

I also tried starting up without the card present, and the behaviour was exactly the same. So, I'm coming to the conclusion the card has failed, and I need to re-image a new one.
Advert
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
nwhitfield
Enthusiast

Thanks for that; sadly, no difference. I found a spare Micro-SD card in an old phone, and copied the image over. When popped in my Mac, I can see three filesystems on both the old and the new card.

The Kobo, however, just sits with the red light on, whichever card is in there.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
I've had the same issue with my Glo HD often enough that I never power it off anymore. The only way I could get it to turn on was to plug it into a wall socket with an adapter & press the power button until the red light went off. I would then the leave it plugged in for 30 min or more until pressing the power button again would finally turn it back on. (Sometimes it would take a couple of hours). Plugging in to a Mac or PC never worked; it had to be plugged into a wall outlet. I found this tip online after an extensive search. Now I only let my Glo sleep. I never power it off.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
nwhitfield
Enthusiast

Sadly, after lots of charging, and lots of waits between attempts, still no joy.

But, to my surprise, when I contacted Kobo customer help to see if they had any ideas about the red light, they told me it's still under warranty, and so a replacement can be arranged.

In the meantime, I've dug out my faithful old PRS505 to carry on reading.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhitfield View Post
Thanks for that; sadly, no difference. I found a spare Micro-SD card in an old phone, and copied the image over. When popped in my Mac, I can see three filesystems on both the old and the new card
Perhaps you used the wrong terminology when you typed this. You can't just "copy" the image to the card. You have to "write" the image to the card using a program.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
nwhitfield
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Perhaps you used the wrong terminology when you typed this. You can't just "copy" the image to the card. You have to "write" the image to the card using a program.
Trust me; I know what I'm doing. I wrote the review of the Glo HD when it came out, for The Register, and some years back (around the time I first signed up here), I did a piece for them on hacking the 505.

"Copied the image over" is just as good for most purposes as "Wrote the image to the card." To the person who doesn't know there is a difference anyway, the second doesn't really add any more information, in my view - they'll just read it to mean the same thing.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Trust me; I know what I'm doing. I wrote the review of the Glo HD when it came out, for The Register, and some years back (around the time I first signed up here), I did a piece for them on hacking the 505.

"Copied the image over" is just as good for most purposes as "Wrote the image to the card." To the person who doesn't know there is a difference anyway, the second doesn't really add any more information, in my view - they'll just read it to mean the same thing.
Ok, was just checking, as I didn't know if you knew the difference.

I'm glad to hear they are sending you a new one!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
nwhitfield
Enthusiast

Yep; I was surprised, because it must be pretty close to two years old. I have to say, in spire of the usual tech support thing of them pretty much walking me through the things I'd already read on the web site, I've always found Kobo's customer service to be pretty good and quite quick to respond if you moan on Twitter
Old 06-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sorry, I disagree with that. There have been far to many people here who have just copied the image file to the card and wondered why it didn't work. "Write the image to the card" implies something different and the people who where going to just copy the file have questioned it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote