Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 03:58 AM   #16
KecajN
Enthusiast
KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBoox Inkpad 3, Inkpad X
Unfortunately they also do not ship abroad: We are only able to ship loose batteries via domestic ground services such as UPS Ground. We can not ship loose batteries internationally or by Air services within the US.
KecajN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #17
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
Re: Putty knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You might try using a putty knife. I think that might get you a lot more control and be easier to use. Putty knives are cheap and found at any hardware or home improvement store, and likely in places like Walmart.

With these foil batteries you want to avoid ripping the plastic case. If you use a putty knife make sure it has no sharp corners or edges. Normally a new putty knife will have sharp corners or edges. However, you can sometimes find plastic putty knives that might work if you dulled their edges.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #18
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
Re: Screen with battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunocrzt View Post
I have used the site below to order a screen to my voyage which in turn came with a battery. Try and see if it's worth it.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...p-1-c-814.html
The reason they sell the screen with the battery is that it is almost impossible to remove the glued on batteries from the screen without damaging the battery. Which makes me pretty sure that the screens they are selling are salvaged from otherwise broken kindles.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Get a Cell Phone Battery Boost. You can pick them up cheap in your local stores.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #20
KecajN
Enthusiast
KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Angry Summary

I could not find any source of Kindle Voyage replacement battery with international shipment. So I contacted Amazon support. They do not allow emails, only phone and chat so I had to spend a couple of hours online with them (4 sessions, each ~30 mins). They wanted me to do:
- Unregister and register Kindle back (I had to recover all ~50 collections manually i.e. download them separately from cloud, content of collections and ebooks remained)
- Peform 40 secs power reset with register/unregister as above. After it was implemented battery life increased to 1.5 days.
- Perform factory reset (additional support session to disable Parential Controls, it did not work as documented). After factory reset I lost all content and I had to upload all ebooks from PC (majority of my documents are non-Amazon). Again I had to recover my collections manually but this time all collections were empty so I had to repopulate all collections from scratch (hard task with ~50 collections and ~600 ebooks). This time battery life span increased up to 4.5 days. (I guess that it was due to purging filesystem garbage that Kindle lefts after deleting volatile content.)

Finally Amazon admitted that battery discharges too quickly but they do not sell replacements. Instead they offered me ... 15% discount for any Kindle device.

I do not consider it as very generous offer. At the end of year sales discounts were even higher (at least in EMEA) with free shipping.

Replacement battery (providing that it would be available) would cost me $40 - $50 including international shipment. Kindle Voyage WiFi at 85% is about ~$170 plus shipping and taxes.

I will have to live with this 4.5 days battery for now...
Advert
Old 01-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KecajN View Post
I could not find any source of Kindle Voyage replacement battery with international shipment. So I contacted Amazon support. They do not allow emails, only phone and chat so I had to spend a couple of hours online with them (4 sessions, each ~30 mins). They wanted me to do:
- Unregister and register Kindle back (I had to recover all ~50 collections manually i.e. download them separately from cloud, content of collections and ebooks remained)
- Peform 40 secs power reset with register/unregister as above. After it was implemented battery life increased to 1.5 days.
- Perform factory reset (additional support session to disable Parential Controls, it did not work as documented). After factory reset I lost all content and I had to upload all ebooks from PC (majority of my documents are non-Amazon). Again I had to recover my collections manually but this time all collections were empty so I had to repopulate all collections from scratch (hard task with ~50 collections and ~600 ebooks). This time battery life span increased up to 4.5 days. (I guess that it was due to purging filesystem garbage that Kindle lefts after deleting volatile content.)

Finally Amazon admitted that battery discharges too quickly but they do not sell replacements. Instead they offered me ... 15% discount for any Kindle device.

I do not consider it as very generous offer. At the end of year sales discounts were even higher (at least in EMEA) with free shipping.

Replacement battery (providing that it would be available) would cost me $40 - $50 including international shipment. Kindle Voyage WiFi at 85% is about ~$170 plus shipping and taxes.

I will have to live with this 4.5 days battery for now...
Silly question. How many hours a day do you read?
Their estimates for battery life are based on half an hour a day.
I don't remember if that is for one or two months without a charge.
If it is 2 months and you read approximately an hour a day then you would need once a month.
If you read 2 hours a day then every two weeks.
If you read 4 hours a day then once a week.
Now if it says a month then it would be
1 hour = 2 weeks, 2 hours= 1 week and 4 hours= biweekly.

So is it the battery or your habits?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #22
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am confused. In the OP you said you have to charge each day, but now its 4.5 days.

My Voyage lasts about 4 days. So does my Oasis. But then I can read a book a day. I use wifi, wiki, lots of collections, vocabulary, goodreads. So I get good battery for the usage I have. I seem to have my kindle on my paws all day long when I am home.

Now if you only read a few minutes a day and it only lasts 4 days, then I can see there being an issue.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #23
KecajN
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I am confused. In the OP you said you have to charge each day, but now its 4.5 days.
My Kindle Voyage started to discharge rapidly in the beginning of the year. I had to recharge it daily.

After factory reset battery last ~4.5 days. (It was the very first measurement - not sure if it will be the same all time.)

Factory reset removed all content so I guess that Kindle does not have to scan and index all garbage left after voliatile documents. (Apart from ebooks which I keep permanently, I also download web content via KindleIt and delete it after reading. It looks like Amazon rather than develop some kind of garbage collection, relies on factory reset as simpler from their point of view.)
Old 01-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
KecajN
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Silly question. How many hours a day do you read?
Their estimates for battery life are based on
[...]
So is it the battery or your habits?
Actually it does not matter. I did not change my reading habits recently. It was battery that started to discharge very quickly just a couple of weeks ago.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KecajN View Post
Actually it does not matter. I did not change my reading habits recently. It was battery that started to discharge very quickly just a couple of weeks ago.
I just wanted you to have a list of a more accurate time line than what the website says.

It sounds like you downloaded something that was stuck indexing or otherwise running the battery down. Especially if it the factory reset worked.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunocrzt View Post
I have used the site below to order a screen to my voyage which in turn came with a battery. Try and see if it's worth it.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...p-1-c-814.html
They are out of stock.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #27
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I just wanted you to have a list of a more accurate time line than what the website says.

It sounds like you downloaded something that was stuck indexing or otherwise running the battery down. Especially if it the factory reset worked.
Mine is doing the same thing. Am only getting a couple of days reading out of it and I am not abusing it at all. Maybe 2 hours a day at MOST. I am hoping a restart will help. I also cleaned out some files that I don't need anymore. Have 2400mb free now which should be more than plenty. It is jailbroken on firmware 5.8.7. This has just started in the last week or two. I have the wifi off except when I want to sync. I am thinking about going back to 5.8.5 if the restart doesn't help. I would rather not have to factory reset the device if I don't have to.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. Am only getting a couple of days reading out of it and I am not abusing it at all. Maybe 2 hours a day at MOST. I am hoping a restart will help. I also cleaned out some files that I don't need anymore. Have 2400mb free now which should be more than plenty. It is jailbroken on firmware 5.8.7. This has just started in the last week or two. I have the wifi off except when I want to sync. I am thinking about going back to 5.8.5 if the restart doesn't help. I would rather not have to factory reset the device if I don't have to.
In the search type a string of random characters. See if anything pops on the search.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #29
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the search type a string of random characters. See if anything pops on the search.
No results found. Charged it overnight. Kual Battery Status has dropped from 100% to 67% in 2 hours just sitting there. Have not used it.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #30
Waitingforatrain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
No results found. Charged it overnight. Kual Battery Status has dropped from 100% to 67% in 2 hours just sitting there. Have not used it.
I found something that spoke about the kindle not indexing files. Battery draining because it is "stuck" for some reason. I discovered that I have 139 books not indexed!!! How odd. I haven't added large amounts of books since I first got the voyage 2 years ago. I have deleted the search index files in the system folder as instructed so will see if this solves the problem. Found this is an Amazon forum:

Try to put your device to sleep. Put it to sleep will speed up the indexing process. I have 19 books that takes less than 30 minutes to complete the indexing process simply by putting the device to sleep.

If it doesn't work try the following:

You need to FORCE Kindle to re-index your Kindle's books. This process involved deleting some files. Only the files related to indexing process need to be deleted. You don't need to delete or download the books all over again.

Please use the following instructions specific to your device:

1. Connect your Kindle to your computer.
2. Click Start, select Control Panel, and select "Folder Options" from the Control Panel menu.
3. Select the View tab.
4. In the View List, select the radio button to Show Hidden Files and Folders and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files if available.
5. Deselect the checkbox to Hide Protected Operating System Files. (You may want to re-enable this after re-indexing your Kindle.)
6. Open the Kindle internal memory on the PC.
7. Open the System folder on the Kindle disk.
8. Open the Search Indexes folder inside the System folder.
9. Select all files inside the Search Indexes folder and move them to the Recycle Bin.
10. Disconnect the Kindle from the computer.
11. Connect the Kindle to a power source.

The indexing process should be complete within 24 hours. Please leave the Kindle connected to a power source for this time frame.

Tags
voyage battery