Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Why no mad rush to Int'l e-lending libs?

I recently joined one of the "widely accessible" lending libraries as mentioned in the MobileRead Wiki. Since this lib allows you to signup online (and thus instantly accessible worldwide) I figured my books of interest would be checked out and that "waiting lines" would be long.

To my surprise, right there in front of me were two classic Robert Heinlein books just waiting to be borrowed. One copy of each owned by library, and that copy available! I immediately grabbed both. (One is already returned, halfway thru the other.)

How can this be in an international market? One copy of a highly desired book available for the whole world and it's not checked out?

Was I extremely lucky or is this normal? Compare this with a popular auction site where a single highly desired item can get dozens of bids..... Why no rush to these free libraries?

Last edited by 1611mac; 11-07-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Possibly, the regular patrons of the library simply have different tastes and are eagerly awaiting their hold #89 of 534 on a Stieg Larsson book.

Or given that the main reason why people go to the internationally available libraries is if their own local ones don't lend ebooks/have poor selection, it takes a certain amount of ebook savvy to even know to apply, and anyone who knows that much about ebooks and wants to read Robert Heinlein has probably bought a chunk of his books DRM-free from Baen already.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been reading a lot of paper books from my library and I've found that anything pre-2005 is pretty much always available or just out with no holds on it. I love my library and the fact that more books are published every year than I'll ever read in fifty lifetimes. Now sifting through that pile to fine ones worthwhile to read can be a bit of a challenge, but there's always something available.

Let's see:
Robert Heinlein "Stranger in a Strange Land": 1 hold on two copies
Robert Heinlein "Starship Troopers": available
Stieg Larsson "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest": 21 holds on three copies
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
-snip-

Let's see:
Robert Heinlein "Stranger in a Strange Land": 1 hold on two copies
Robert Heinlein "Starship Troopers": available
Stieg Larsson "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest": 21 holds on three copies
Very interesting.....

Sadly, I have no library close by that lends ebooks. Closest one is some 50 miles away.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Possibly, the regular patrons of the library simply have different tastes and are eagerly awaiting their hold #89 of 534 on a Stieg Larsson book.
-snip-
So there's not 5-6 other ebook users in the entire world who are out of the mainstream as I am???? Wow! I'm unique!
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
At least it means that if not that many other people are checking them out, you have a decent chance of borrowing the books you want within this decade?

On the other hand, if not that many other people are checking them out, then maybe the library stops getting in other titles by those authors and puts that money towards another half-dozen copies of Larsson instead, to meet the demand.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
You know what, I was like you when I first joined the library ebook system. I found really fantastic older books in their collection, with no wait times. Books I had been wanting to read for years. Then I read all those books. Now I wait for new releases to be added to the collection like everyone else.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
You know what, I was like you when I first joined the library ebook system. I found really fantastic older books in their collection, with no wait times. Books I had been wanting to read for years. Then I read all those books. Now I wait for new releases to be added to the collection like everyone else.

eP
I'm just surprised. I thought that since the library ebooks were free I might go back and revisit some of the characters and themes in the books I read when I was younger. As mentioned above.... I guess not many of us older folk (in my late 50's) use ebooks... especially from a lending lib.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Many people just buy. Both in paperback and in ebook formats I've never bothered with libraries.

I'm only just now thinking about e-Libraries because I want to find ebook versions of some of my paperbacks to read without having to pay. Before that, I never considered a library membership at all.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Many people just buy. Both in paperback and in ebook formats I've never bothered with libraries.

I'm only just now thinking about e-Libraries because I want to find ebook versions of some of my paperbacks to read without having to pay. Before that, I never considered a library membership at all.
I agree... but again... this library is available to the world.... not just a city or county. My guess would have been that a FEW people in the world would be interested in the material. Especially with all the stats about ebooks selling so well.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I agree... but again... this library is available to the world.... not just a city or county. My guess would have been that a FEW people in the world would be interested in the material. Especially with all the stats about ebooks selling so well.
Mr. Heinlein's books are available so cheaply at Baen that it's really not worth the hassle of gettings them from the library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Heinlein's books aren't that popular with the library crowd. One of the largest ebook libraries in the world, Seattle Public Library (over 32,000 ebooks), only has one of his books in their entire collection. They have one copy of Red Planet and it's checked out, with only one person on the waiting list.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Or it might be a lack of awareness of these libraries. I had no idea they existed. They're in the MR wiki?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Or it might be a lack of awareness of these libraries. I had no idea they existed. They're in the MR wiki?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I think their are 2 reasons
1) its easier to google and download a book then having to register to an online library and then to check if it has the book in its collection or not.
2) Eink readers are not that common outside the US
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote