Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Restoring mobi support to kobo glo

Anyway of restoring mobi support to kobo glo?

i was in 1/2 a mind to buying the kobo glo but i was dismayed mobi support has been removed after i had just converted a few thousand books to mobi from pdf over 5 weeks.

the idea was to store all the books in a micro sd card in mobi format.

so can mobi support be restored by some kind of hack or patch?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I am pretty sure that the Glo supports mobi, it just doesn't show anywhere. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as an epub, but you can use it.

If you are using calibre, mobi isn't selected as a default format. Go into the driver and select it. You will be prompted to confirm you want to use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would be curious to try a .mobi in my Glo but from a practical point of view I am content with .epub
I think it renders quite well.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I am pretty sure that the Glo supports mobi, it just doesn't show anywhere. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as an epub, but you can use it.

If you are using calibre, mobi isn't selected as a default format. Go into the driver and select it. You will be prompted to confirm you want to use.
actually i have the kindle 3 but it is limited to about 3000 books after which it becomes unusable and has no memory card slot.

i really don't want to convert all those pdf to epub this time all over again using calibre as it takes ages on some books hence why it took 5 weeks.

i am surprised no one has tested a mobi book on a kobo glo.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
actually i have the kindle 3 but it is limited to about 3000 books after which it becomes unusable and has no memory card slot.

i really don't want to convert all those pdf to epub this time all over again using calibre as it takes ages on some books hence why it took 5 weeks.

i am surprised no one has tested a mobi book on a kobo glo.
I am sure I have seen a report of mobi working on a Glo. Unfortunately, I can't find it right now. It should work as the firmware is the same between the Touch and the Glo. The package is different but the application part is the same.

Personally, while most mobi files work, they don't work as well as an epub. So, I convert from mobi to epub. That is what I recommend you do. Don't convert from the PDF, do it from your mobi files. If your mobi versions are already clean, there shouldn't be a problem producing epubs from them.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Can you not convert them as and when you want to move them over to your Kobo? You can convert just before you send the books to your device.
I'm getting a GLO for Christmas and as a current Kindle 3 owner, I've been making sure to covert the books in my Calibre library I know I'll move straight away. I just left it running in the background while I did other things.
I've also been making sure to grab both mobi and epub files for any new books I've bought since I decided I really wanted a Glo. I've chucked them both into Calibre so I have both versions saved in the same book title to try to make sure I am Glo ready.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
mobi does work in the glo, at least on mine does although I read some people that said it doesn’t work in theirs, it also reads rtf, but the best format is epub.
With both formats it takes a while to open or close books, it allows the change of font, size, line spacing, and so on but it takes a while to make changes. It doesn't allow the use of the dictionaries but you can search the word in the dictionary.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Mobis are working on my Glo very well. I only had a few to test with, my Kindle books are azws and most are proprietary, but a couple of the daily freebies converted to mobi with Calibre and seem to be formated properly.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Mobis are working on my Glo very well. I only had a few to test with, my Kindle books are azws and most are proprietary, but a couple of the daily freebies converted to mobi with Calibre and seem to be formated properly.
Thanks to all who replied.

next question before i buy and only people here can answer that is does it suffer from the same slowdown as the kindle if you put 6000 to 10000 books on the sd card or its internal memory?

does it do the indexing nonsense that the kindle does?

the kindle becomes unusable due to freezing ,reboots,restarts after about 3000 books

i want to load all my books up to 10000.(some are epubs..some are mobi...some are duplicated in pdf,txt,rtf,etc.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied.

next question before i buy and only people here can answer that is does it suffer from the same slowdown as the kindle if you put 6000 to 10000 books on the sd card or its internal memory?

does it do the indexing nonsense that the kindle does?

the kindle becomes unusable due to freezing ,reboots,restarts after about 3000 books

i want to load all my books up to 10000.(some are epubs..some are mobi...some are duplicated in pdf,txt,rtf,etc.
I don't know what the "indexing nonsense" that the Kindle does is. The Kobo devices process each book and stores details an internal database. The library lists are from this database. If you put 10000 books on an SD card and inserted it in the Glo, it would take a long time to do this process. Processing 500 books on the SD card in my Touch takes over 30 minutes.

I have heard of people with 5000 books on the SD card with no real problems. I don't know if it slows down much, but he was happy with it.

Another user here who also had bout 5000 books decided that he didn't like the organisation that is on the Glo and went elsewhere. I don't remember whether he actually loaded the books onto the device.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Processing 500 books on my Kobo Mini seems pretty fast. Maybe a minute or two.
But they are not on an SD card.

On my Sony T1 processing 1000 books in main memory is pretty fast, again a minute or so I think, but 4000 seems to take forever.

Processing 10,000 on an SD card would probably take a very long time. Pretty sure it would be the same on a Kobo Glo. Plus if it crashes, which does happen, it would probably have to do it all over again

Like yourself, I think the indexing may be unnecessary as there are 'fixes' to prevent it on the Sony readers, but I do not know this for a fact.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I can't imagine what one would do with thousands of books on an e-reader, given that you would never be able to find any of them again, since there is no search function for titles, authors, or content AFAIK.

Does anyone really have the time to scroll down thru hundreds and hundreds of entries in the Library? It would take hours to locate a book. Would you want to spend days organizing them into Shelves?

Sorry, but an e-reader is Not a fast computer. Bad idea.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I can't imagine what one would do with thousands of books on an e-reader, given that you would never be able to find any of them again, since there is no search function for titles, authors, or content AFAIK.
All the Kobo devices have a search function that will search the titles and authors. That is what the magnifying glass is at the top left of the home screen and most others with a menu shown. Within a book you can also search through the content of that book.
Quote:
Does anyone really have the time to scroll down thru hundreds and hundreds of entries in the Library? It would take hours to locate a book. Would you want to spend days organizing them into Shelves?
I agree with you there. I add books that I want to read in the next little while. But, I don't remove the books that I have read. The occasional factory reset takes care of the cleanup. The 500 books on the SD card is simply for testing purposes.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #14
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Processing 500 books on my Kobo Mini seems pretty fast. Maybe a minute or two.
But they are not on an SD card.

On my Sony T1 processing 1000 books in main memory is pretty fast, again a minute or so I think, but 4000 seems to take forever.

Processing 10,000 on an SD card would probably take a very long time. Pretty sure it would be the same on a Kobo Glo. Plus if it crashes, which does happen, it would probably have to do it all over again

Like yourself, I think the indexing may be unnecessary as there are 'fixes' to prevent it on the Sony readers, but I do not know this for a fact.

Helen
The reason i want all the books is that i never want to connect it to a computer again.it would be a portable library.so i can read a physics text book one day and if need to pass some time i can read gibbons after browsing whats on offer.

the kindle 3 fails as it becomes unusable after 3000 books

As regards organizing them they would be organized as authors folders or subject matter folders.in the kindle 3 somebody wrote a utility called Kollections which creates collections automatically and it works.

i don't know if there is a similar facility for the kobo glo.

It is also vital that we lobby kobo to have explorer like folder support as it improves the usefulness of the device immensely.

a cheap touch screen 4 gb mp3/mp4 player costing £12 from china has explorer type folder support so why can't the idiots at kobo not implement it?

instead they have messy stuff like very labour intensive "bookshelfs collection" and firmware that messes up everything in terms of organization.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The reason i want all the books is that i never want to connect it to a computer again.it would be a portable library.so i can read a physics text book one day and if need to pass some time i can read gibbons after browsing whats on offer.

the kindle 3 fails as it becomes unusable after 3000 books

As regards organizing them they would be organized as authors folders or subject matter folders.in the kindle 3 somebody wrote a utility called Kollections which creates collections automatically and it works.

i don't know if there is a similar facility for the kobo glo.

It is also vital that we lobby kobo to have explorer like folder support as it improves the usefulness of the device immensely.

a cheap touch screen 4 gb mp3/mp4 player costing £12 from china has explorer type folder support so why can't the idiots at kobo not implement it?

instead they have messy stuff like very labour intensive "bookshelfs collection" and firmware that messes up everything in terms of organization.
The Kobo and Sony readers have better collection support through calibre than the kindle 3 and the collections don't move around.

There are Eink readers with folder support although they are pricier I believe and not as available in stores.

All of the readers I have tried have some deficiencies IMO but I would not call the developers idiots and again IMO any of the eink readers I have used are far more useful for reading and organising ebooks than cheap touch mp3 players I have tried.

BTW You may have replied to the wrong post?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote