Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 03:32 AM   #361
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the earliest version that will still run is 1.16.

You'll probably be able to get the old versions to run if you're not connected to the internet. I think that it's a version check with Amazon's servers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #362
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
Then I read more carefully and realized the AZW file I had was probably the new format but with the old extension, used method 2 to rename the renderer and freed my title.

I'll let the Kindle come in anyhow. I like having that option for when I'm on a computer that doesn't have Kindle installed.
Kindle for PC uses the generic AZW extension for all of its main book files regardless of underlying format - mobi, kf8, kfx, ....

I have 1.17 installed here, but I did pick up an old Kindle Touch for backup.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #363
sereshk146
sereshk146 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello All,

I face problems using Calibre, I tried doing it two ways,
  • download from Amazon, as file to transfer with USB
  • use the file from my Kindle (purchased around 2012/2013)
But none works, using Calibre 64 bit on Windows 10, Apprentice Alf's latest tools release 6.5.5, I cannot convert the azw3 file to epub. (Didn't try other target formats yet.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
sereshk146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #364
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
I've utilized Alf's tools with Calibre in the past before the Kindle updates, and have reverted back to Kindle version 1.16.0. But I don't see "Preferences" in the latest Calibre. Where is it exactly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre.png
Views:	919
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	162511  
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #365
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
But I don't see "Preferences" in the latest Calibre. Where is it exactly?
The ">>" icon to the right of the top toolbar shows that there are more icons that haven't been displayed due to the size of the window. Click that.

Once you find the preferences there is an option there to make the icons smaller.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-25-2018 at 08:15 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #366
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereshk146 View Post
But none works, using Calibre 64 bit on Windows 10, Apprentice Alf's latest tools release 6.5.5, I cannot convert the azw3 file to epub. (Didn't try other target formats yet.)
It is difficult to offer advice without more details from you about what is happening when you try to import and convert books. If you see an error that has "DRM" in it then ask for help on Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #367
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello All,

• download from Amazon, as file to transfer with USB
  • use the file from my Kindle (purchased around 2012/2013)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
SInce you have a physical Kindle, try downloading the eBook from Amazon via the download via USB option. That will get you a KF8 eBook. Then you can try to remove the DRM. Without knowing what Kindle and what eBook, it is possible that you have a KFX eBook.

As for the tools, I download the new version, but do not update if what I am using still works for me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #368
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The ">>" icon to the right of the top toolbar shows that there are more icons that haven't been displayed due to the size of the window. Click that.

Once you find the preferences there is an option there to make the icons smaller.
Icons small now.

It was a hit/miss affair to get it all working, but the latest 2 Kindle books (bought yesterday) are now on my Max Carta.

Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #369
sereshk146

Quote:
Originally Posted by sereshk146
Hello All,

download from Amazon, as file to transfer with USB
use the file from my Kindle (purchased around 2012/2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is difficult to offer advice without more details from you about what is happening when you try to import and convert books. If you see an error that has "DRM" in it then ask for help on Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub.
Thanks, of course, I see what you mean. Since it is the error I sometimes encountered in the past and solved using the FAQs, etc., I thought it's fairly common.
But people posting here as well as on the github(!) site that a completely new version on Kindle files/software makes Alf's plugin useless (for the moment?), I thought posting here would result in other ways to convert. Or other advice.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #370
sereshk146

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
SInce you have a physical Kindle, try downloading the eBook from Amazon via the download via USB option. That will get you a KF8 eBook. Then you can try to remove the DRM. Without knowing what Kindle and what eBook, it is possible that you have a KFX eBook.

As for the tools, I download the new version, but do not update if what I am using still works for me.
Thanks, I hadn't used anything before, reinstalled Windows the other day... Also, (s. my post) I tried exactly that and I received the error that the
"...book cannot be converted since it has DRM..." something to that effect.
Alf's latest plugin installed, haven't installed the Kindle app for PC so far. Any other possible solutions?
Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #371
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, I hadn't used anything before, reinstalled Windows the other day... Also, (s. my post) I tried exactly that and I received the error that the
"...book cannot be converted since it has DRM..." something to that effect.
Alf's latest plugin installed, haven't installed the Kindle app for PC so far. Any other possible solutions?
Thanks again!
One thing I can say is go to preferences and then plugins and have a look at the plugin settings. Look at the opentions for the Kindle section and go from there. That's as much as I can say on MR. Any more help and you'll need to go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and ask for mor help there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #372
sereshk146

Quote:
One thing I can say is go to preferences and then plugins and have a look at the plugin settings. Look at the opentions for the Kindle section and go from there. That's as much as I can say on MR. Any more help and you'll need to go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and ask for mor help there.
@JSWolf
Thanks, I did that and the plugin 'reminded' (asked) me to enter a serial number. I used the elnk Kindle ebooks option, on my Kindle changed to 'Settings'>'Device Info' (or similar, translated from German), entered the 16 digits listed there - and conversion went fine now!
Sorry, if I remember correctly, that's mentioned on Alf's blog as well, but I had done that before and only just remembered that this is a new install (s.a.)
Happy now - and reading!
Old 02-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #373
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Any more help and you'll need to go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and ask for mor help there.
As JSWolf notes, detailed help with DRM removal isn't allowed at MobileRead. You should ask at Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's github repository.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #374
bcbob
Enthusiast
bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: ipad
Quote:
@JSWolf
Thanks, I did that and the plugin 'reminded' (asked) me to enter a serial number. I used the elnk Kindle ebooks option, on my Kindle changed to 'Settings'>'Device Info' (or similar, translated from German), entered the 16 digits listed there - and conversion went fine now!
+1

same thing happened to me. I do not recall entering the serial number before but apparently it is required now.
from blog:
Quote:
Yes, when downloading from the website, you need to select an E-ink Kindle (not a Fire) and have its serial number in the plugin customization.

Last edited by bcbob; 03-07-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: update:
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #375
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbob View Post
same thing happened to me. I do not recall entering the serial number before but apparently it is required now.
from blog:
It has always been required for books imported from or downloaded 'for USB transfer' to an E-ink Kindle. It has never been needed for importing from K4PC, and still is not; the plugin finds that key itself.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc