Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just use the CSS I modified and you won't have the large spaces that you don't want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just use the CSS I modified and you won't have the large spaces that you don't want.
They didn't ask for a wholsale css replacement, Jon. They asked for help finding where the extra spacing was coming from.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They didn't ask for a wholsale css replacement, Jon. They asked for help finding where the extra spacing was coming from.
But I decided to help out and fix the CSS. And it does fix the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Without seeing the html in question, you can't possibly know that your replacement css won't mess anything up.

And seeing as how your css replacement also takes it upon itself to "fix" other things which weren't asked about (the widows/orphans, the alignment, the text-indent, etc...), I have to assume that you're, once again, just taking the opportunity to push your own personal formatting agenda instead of simply trying to answer the question being asked.

Don't offer to amputate someone's foot when they asked if their toe looks broken.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-12-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 AM   #20
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Check for CSS in the head of the HTML document. This will override your CSS if present. Another trick is to vaildate the CSS. Invalid CSS might be followed by some software, other software might ignore the rule, ADe often disregards the whole css if it is invalid. Effective CSS can be in the CSS Stylehseet in a aseparte file, in the head of each html document, inline stylesheets, or even local in your reader or other software marked with the !important clause overriding the css you think which is being used.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Without seeing the html in question, you can't possibly know that your replacement css won't mess anything up.

And seeing as how your css replacement also takes it upon itself to "fix" other things which weren't asked about (the widows/orphans, the alignment, the text-indent, etc...), I have to assume that you're, once again, just taking the opportunity to push your own personal formatting agenda instead of simply trying to answer the question being asked.

Don't offer to amputate someone's foot when they asked if their toe looks broken.
It's definitely the white space prewrap. I've seen that frequently. That's exactly what it does.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #22
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
It's definitely the white space prewrap. I've seen that frequently.
"Frequently"?
Do you know why, or at least what produced it?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
"Frequently"?
NOPE. My "I'm not sure I need to remember this" brain is thinking "MAC." I've seen it either in exported Pages files, Pages as exported faux-Word files, OR, iAuthor.

I'm reasonably sure it's one of those. As far as the why? Dunno. I strongly suspect that iAauthor or Pages is trying to ensure that the content displays exactly as intended, without wrapping or compressing the whitespace. And it patently works in the Apple environment--but it doesn't work worth a damn, at least, not as intended, in ePUB/MOBI.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
"Frequently"?
The iBooks Author (or Pages, or whatever) software adds the white-space pre-wrap css nonsense. I've no idea if it's configurable or can be suppressed within the settings of that particular software, but I don't know why it would default to including such an entry in a reflowable document to begin with. It makes no sense to me to assign it to the body of entire pages of reflowable text.

The issue with Sigil and "white-space: pre-wrap;" (or more specifically; "line-break: strict;") is this:

1) iBooks Creator outputs html that has no line breaks (again ... I've no idea if this is suppressable through preferences/settings or not). Each html file contains one giant line of html code. If left in this form, most renderers will display the epub properly (even with "white-space: pre-wrap;" and "line-break: strict;" present). But the problem RE Sigil is:

2) There is a terrible slowdown associated with large files that contain no line-breaks. If memory serves, it could be something to do with Sigil's code highlighting/line-numbering routines--but don't quote me on that. Sigil becomes nearly unusable under those conditions.

3) So Sigil adds reasonable line breaks to the html to work around this issue. With "normal," reflowable html, this presents no rendering issues whatsoever (extra white-space is always compressed and line-breaks have no influence). But with "white-space: pre-wrap;" and "line-break: strict;" css present, those line-breaks are being rendered and extra spacing is the result.

Do any iBooks Author/Pages users know if there are any settings that affect "white-space: pre-wrap;" and "line-break: strict;" css output?

More here: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/issues/345

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-10-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #25
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I think sometimes Calibre may introduce pre-wrap in a TXT -> EPUB conversion (?) or when trying to enforce monospaced fonts (?).

I know I've run across it a few times over the years, but can't put my finger on the exact workflow.

I tend to throw pre-wrap out right away because on many ereaders, pre-wrapped text just goes flying off the page instead of reflowing correctly.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #26
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
I've just created a book with Apple Pages from a scan, and the body of the book is indeed one huge html file. I'd like to split it into chapters but the 'File Split' button in Calibre's Book Editor doesn't do anything.

Ideas?
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Sorted - I did an epub to epub conversion which split up the file!
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
I've just created a book with Apple Pages from a scan, and the body of the book is indeed one huge html file. I'd like to split it into chapters but the 'File Split' button in Calibre's Book Editor doesn't do anything.

Ideas?
This thread isn't really about epubs with one (small or huge) html file. It's about line spacing issues being introduced by questionable css and html files that are one huge LINE of html code (with no line-breaks).

Also: I could be wrong, but you seem to be asking for help splitting your file with calibre's editor. This is the Sigil forum. If you're asking how you might use Sigil to split the file instead of using calibre's editor, then I would point you to the Sigil's user manual (the most updated one can be found here). Sigil has two methods for splitting files: 1) marking all of the split locations first, and then performing all of the splits at once, and 2) manually splitting at the location where the cursor is in the file.

If you're asking for help getting calibre's editor to split the file the way you want, then you should ask in the calibre forums.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I keep a 'clip' of the Sigil split marker (code) and paste that into a S&R whenever I can establish a Search pattern.
F6 when done with the placement.
Merge fractional sections (usually present if an automatic 'size' split has been used)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote