Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of these activities do you dedicate more time to?
Reading books 31 54.39%
Organising my book collection, messing around with ebook devices, deDRMing, converting formats, etc 14 24.56%
Hanging out on MobileRead 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I voted for "hanging out on MobileRead" because this is what I do most at the moment, since I am just getting started in the ebook world. This is a great place to learn all there is to know about ebooks.

What drove me to conduct the poll is that I was first stunned by the plethora of formats, readers, DRM issues and related software, so I thought that people might be spending a lot of time dealing with these issues. I also see that some people spend a LOT of time here.

In passing, a great thank you to all the tech heads here who spend a lot of time developing software for our sake. I hope to find some time to do some contributions myself to make life easier for those not so comfortable with computers.

Last edited by daviddem; 12-18-2008 at 02:02 PM.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I want option D: about equal for all three.

I do find that keeping a text file of all the book titles is helpful. Then I put that text file (00index.txt) on my Kindle, and can find a book for a particular mood more easily. I do my organization in the text file -- these are all mysteries, these are SF, these are by author XYZ....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
MobileRead is the foul but beautiful temptress of your time, and Alexander her pimp (I can even see him in the purple, velour overcoat, the white hat, the snakeskin boots and carrying the totally blinged-out walking cane).

Guess which option I voted for?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #19
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
In other (crude) words, are you a book worm or a tech freak?

Edit: could an admin please add this option to the poll: Hanging out on MobileRead
and correct the typo in the title of the poll: to -> do
Both to a certain degree, but mostly a long, long, time bookworm.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Way too much time on all 3.
Does anyone have one of those 12 step programs?

Laine
you mean the ones that allow you to move from your ground floor level to the bedroom ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If I take the "etc" out of question 2, I can vote for "Reading." But as I'd consider "etc" to include things like writing e-books and developing my book site, that one area alone would get my vote as most time-consuming. Unless you wouldn't consider those items part of "etc".

Judges? I need a ruling! Writing and site developing... part of "etc"?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #22
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Yes, part of "etc" since they are ebook related activities that you spend time on your computer for (for the writing of books, only count the time you spend formatting your work into an ebook, not the writing itself which you would do anyway if the book was a p-book).
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
What drove me to conduct the poll is that I was first stunned by the plethora of formats, readers, DRM issues and related software, so I thought that people might be spending a lot of time dealing with these issues.
Once you discover your favorite tools and once you convert your first couple of hundred books ;-) and find THE format that is perfect for you, converting a book will take a very small fraction of the time needed to read it. Also remember: You do not need to convert your entire hoard at once. You will be reading one book after another anyway, so if you have several dozens of books converted and waiting for "their" moment you are all set.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #24
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
It is actually creating an e-book that takes the longest.
You can create ebooks in 3 ways:
1- the simply putting a text book in another e-format jacket,
2- Finding and scanning (original) pictures to add to the book
3- Scanning a book, and/or correcting electronic errors before creating a book

The first does not take a lot of time. You can create an ebook in 15 minutes.
The second takes slightly longer, on average you'll lose a good few hours per book.
The third one takes longest. You can easily spend between 4 to 90 hours per book, correcting spelling errors,creating hyperlinks, and scanning a book itself do take up a lot of time.
Because I have the time, I figured I'd better do the hardest books, since most people will prefer directly converting Gutenberg books to e-formats.

If it's a good ebook, I tend to read it while creating it on my PC. That takes an additional time toll.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-26-2008 at 11:15 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I want to be able to vote for one and three!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote