Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #1
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
Windows Portable to Linux

Hi Guys,

I had to move from Windows to Linux. I made a complete backup of my windows portable installation including db and everything.

i then installed Calibre for Linux and what do i now need to do to get back to the state i had before?
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Will assume that you have an EMPTY library on your Linux box.

To get the books there:
Copy the ENTIRE contents of the Library folder (metadata.db is one of the items)
Paste that into the Linux box Library folder

Settings (the configuration folder part) can be a bit trickier as they contain (case sensitive) paths.
BTW settings come in 2 flavors: Per Library (eg columns) and per user (format of language, dates....)

So lets ask, How much customization (using Calibre Preferences menu) have you done? How many plugins have you added ?
then we can suggest a plan.
BTW What would you say your Computer skills level are at for each of Linux and Windows?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaOne View Post
Hi Guys,

I had to move from Windows to Linux. I made a complete backup of my windows portable installation including db and everything.

i then installed Calibre for Linux and what do i now need to do to get back to the state i had before?
1. How did you back up your calibre:2. Do you still have access to the windows computer?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
My knowledge of Linux is good, Windows is pretty good. I can program in Python, so no newb here.
I did not do a backup from inside Calibre, since it's the Portable Version - i simply copied the complete directory structures to a external HD.
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
My knowledge of Linux is good, Windows is pretty good. I can program in Python, so no newb here.
I did not do a backup from inside Calibre, since it's the Portable Version - i simply copied the complete directory structures to a external HD.
Do you still have access to the windows computer?

From the calibre manual:

Quote:

Note

This import/export functionality is only available from calibre version 2.47 onwards. If you have an older version of calibre, or if you encounter problems with the import/export, you can just copy over your calibre library folder manually, as described in the next paragraph.
Spoiler:

Simply copy the calibre library folder from the old to the new computer. You can find out what the library folder is by clicking the calibre icon in the toolbar. Choose the Switch/create calibre library action and you will see the path to the current calibre library.

Now on the new computer, start calibre for the first time. It will run the Welcome wizard asking you for the location of the calibre library. Point it to the previously copied folder. If the computer you are transferring to already has a calibre installation, then the Welcome wizard wont run. In that case, right-click the calibre icon in the toolbar and point it to the newly copied directory. You will now have two calibre libraries on your computer and you can switch between them by clicking the calibre icon on the toolbar. Transferring your library in this manner preserver all your metadata, tags, custom columns, etc.
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks, That means we do not have to detail every click .
So, how much customization did you do?
You might get away with copying the config folder over and just adjusting the (Current) Library Location(s)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@KoopaOne - if you still have access to the Windows portable install it may be better to use calibre's export/import feature referenced by gbm. Its my understanding is that it caters for the differences between the two platforms (operating system and file system)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote