Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Thanks all for feedback.

She has an iPhone for phone stuff and a regular kindle for reading. She will be using the tablet for tablet-y things. Browsing, mail, videos, apps.

I kind of want to away from apple because she has a PC and apple stuff work best when you are all in on Apple for everything. And the hd(xi hảdware is nice if not as sleek as the new iPads.

But sounds like to buy the fire you're going to be all in on amazon. Personally I think apple app store is slightly better than google play which is much better than amazon (except for amazon stuff, of course).

I would get myself an android tablet and give her my iPad 3, except she thinks it's too big and heavy.

Ah well, I guess it's the mini. Pricey, though.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Thanks all for feedback.

She has an iPhone for phone stuff and a regular kindle for reading. She will be using the tablet for tablet-y things. Browsing, mail, videos, apps.

I kind of want to away from apple because she has a PC and apple stuff work best when you are all in on Apple for everything. And the hd(xi hảdware is nice if not as sleek as the new iPads.

But sounds like to buy the fire you're going to be all in on amazon. Personally I think apple app store is slightly better than google play which is much better than amazon (except for amazon stuff, of course).

I would get myself an android tablet and give her my iPad 3, except she thinks it's too big and heavy.

Ah well, I guess it's the mini. Pricey, though.
Why not the Nexus 7? It's an amazing tablet. I use the Kindle app without any problems. However I prefer Moon+ for reading on it. It's a great little app or Mantano which is good too. The Nexus 7 does everything you could hope a Android tablet to do.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Why not the Nexus 7? It's an amazing tablet. I use the Kindle app without any problems. However I prefer Moon+ for reading on it. It's a great little app or Mantano which is good too. The Nexus 7 does everything you could hope a Android tablet to do.
for the Nexus 7 2013 tablet. It's hard to regret that I am getting rid of my Paperwhite 2, when I have this tablet which is better than the Paperwhite could ever be.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
for the Nexus 7 2013 tablet. It's hard to regret that I am getting rid of my Paperwhite 2, when I have this tablet which is better than the Paperwhite could ever be.
Yeah I tried to go back to my PW1 after reading on the KFHD2 and N7.2 and just couldn't. It looked so washed out. I think I am done with eInk.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Yeah I tried to go back to my PW1 after reading on the KFHD2 and N7.2 and just couldn't. It looked so washed out. I think I am done with eInk.
Really? Wow! So it's not just me. I keep running through the pros and cons in my head, and can't find any justification for keeping the PW2. Between my 3 tablets and my two Kobos, every single one of them can do more than the PW2. And if Amazon doesn't improve the functionality of the Kindle, I won't ever buy another one.

The Kobo Glo is far superior for fonts, margin control, Calibre management....it's smaller and lighter. Really, the only reason I got the PW2 is because with the trade in of the PW1, it didn't cost me anything. Now I wish I'd just kept it. With all the hacks, it was great. Then again, I don't have to jailbreak and hack the Kobo to make it work. So for small and lightweight, I have the Kobo Glo and Mini.

But the Nexus is the best ereader! If you hear of a sale on Square Trade, Blossom, I'd like to know....I want this thing to last a long time. If I could only have one device, that would be it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Best of all is the Kindle Fire HDX 2013 with MAYDAY. Neither the Nexus 7 or the iPad mini have that feature. It connects the user instantly to Tech Support with a video picture of the support person who can operate your unit and show you the intricate details of operation. For novice, non-techies, that feature, alone, makes the HDX 2013 the best.

I use the PW 2013 to read in bright light and the HDX 2013 to read in low light and for its apps and music, all from Amazon.

However, the OP is used to iPads and should go for the iPad mini to be comfortable with the new unit and can use all his Apple Apps, songs and iBooks on it.

Nexus 7 is good as well but really only for non-Apple and non-Amazon loyalists.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
+1

Except for bright light reading and off-the-grid (my PW is 3G).

Just give me pop-up footnotes, hyphenation, and autoscrolling.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
+1

Except for bright light reading and off-the-grid (my PW is 3G).

Just give me pop-up footnotes, hyphenation, and autoscrolling.
I don't do outdoor reading. Well I don't do outdoors period. I have too many allergies. So all my reading is done indoors and my tablets work for that. Now I just need something that freeze time so I can read more. I've been so busy these past few months.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
richbrown68
richbrown68 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
Quote:
I just can't recommended the HDX 7 after my experience with it. If it didn't have Blue LEDs I could but that border is just awful for reading.
Fortunately most other people disagree with you, including the editors of PC WORLD, who selected the HDX 7 (NOT the Nexus 7) as the best Android tablet of the year...and as the only Android tablet that is better than the iPad Air or iPad Mini:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20708...2013-list.html
richbrown68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrown68 View Post
Fortunately most other people disagree with you, including the editors of PC WORLD, who selected the HDX 7 (NOT the Nexus 7) as the best Android tablet of the year...and as the only Android tablet that is better than the iPad Air or iPad Mini:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20708...2013-list.html
Yeah I wouldn't put much weight in these people they don't really know what they are talking about most of the time. Not to mention almost all professional reviews knew about the blue border issue but none one of them mention it! Only after release they were like we thought it was just something that would be fixed before release our bad.

That right there tells me who's pocket they are in.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't put much weight in these people they don't really know what they are talking about most of the time. Not to mention almost all professional reviews knew about the blue border issue but none one of them mention it! Only after release they were like we thought it was just something that would be fixed before release our bad.

You know Blossom, I respect your thoughts on here but your level of hate for HDX and shouting from the roof tops about how good the HD is a little suspect to me considering they are very similar devices.

I have had the chance to toy with the Nexus 7 and while it is a pretty good e-reader for the price it's nothing close to the HDX in overall performance. I have not done reading on the Nexus so maybe the reading experience is better but the HDX is superior in graphics, screen, processor...ect.
Believe it or not most people are not having an issue with some blue border thing and the HDX is the better overall tablet. It may not be the best tablet for everyone's purposes but if you look at overall performance it is a better tablet.

Last edited by mcrow; 12-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
richbrown68

Quote:

Or here's another possible thought: Maybe the dozens of "THESE PEOPLE" who praise the HDX get paid for reviewing because they really DO know what they're talking about. Maybe the reason they didn't mention the blue halo is because like with most normal people (myself included), it's just not a big deal...and barely noticeable unless you try to look for it. Maybe if I've been swearing that the sky is green but everyone else in the world swears it's blue.....maybe I'm the one who is wrong, not everyone else.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
richbrown68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
You know Blossom, I respect your thoughts on here but your level of hate for HDX and shouting from the roof tops about how good the HD is a little suspect to me considering they are very similar devices.

I have had the chance to toy with the Nexus 7 and while it is a pretty good e-reader for the price it's nothing close to the HDX in overall performance. I have not done reading on the Nexus so maybe the reading experience is better but the HDX is superior in graphics, screen, processor...ect.
Believe it or not most people are not having an issue with some blue border thing and the HDX is the better overall tablet. It may not be the best tablet for everyone's purposes but if you look at overall performance it is a better tablet.
I'm new here, and today, I was trying to find a place where I can discuss Kindle Fire HDX in a civil forum. I scanned these boards for 5 minutes and immediately picked up on Blossom's campaign to rid the world of all-things-Mojito.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
I'm new here, and today, I was trying to find a place where I can discuss Kindle Fire HDX in a civil forum. I scanned these boards for 5 minutes and immediately picked up on Blossom's campaign to rid the world of all-things-Mojito.
Yeah, she seems to be on a bit of a crusade against the HDX.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That's not true. Welcome I am highly praised of Kindles and Kindle Fire but the HDX Blue Border is an issue each person needs to take in effect. Would you want to buy a unit and then be surprise about it?

I'm not saying the N.7.2 is superior is hardware or display but yes it wins in text rendering and yes it wins in having a clear display. The HD Kindle Fire I own which also has the same O/S on it I love it to pieces. I owned 3 HDXs and this forum is a place where people come to find out the truth about devices. So yes I am going to give my opinion on the subject.