Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #301
twentw
twentw began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I'm still getting "unhandled exception" crashes although infrequently. I'm on iOS 5.01 and completely deleted Stanza and all books and reinstalled.
twentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #302
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
However I have noticed one omission. Under "Get Books", the option to download your books directly from your Fictionwise library is gone. I'm sure that used to be in the old version. Can someone running 3.1 on < IOS 5 confirm? I suppose though you can always load via iTunes.
The Get Books tab just uses the online feed from http://catalog.lexcycle.com/. Amazon appears to have removed it from their website feed so it's gone even from earlier versions.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #303
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
You can add the login as a web page to your get books/shared section. Its not especially elegant but it gets the job done inside Stanza, without having to resort to going into Safari.

http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=login will do it.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #304
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
You can add the login as a web page to your get books/shared section. Its not especially elegant but it gets the job done inside Stanza, without having to resort to going into Safari.

http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=login will do it.
OK tried that, but am getting the error:

Catalog Error
Error reading catalog data. Please try again later.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by ozron; 11-12-2011 at 07:43 AM.
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #305
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I downloaded the new Stanza and everything seems to work fine on my Touch with iOS5 except that some epub book covers don't show. There's simply a blank screen when you open the book to read it. Not all the books show this, and the books that do are the same ones that showed up fine in the previous version of Stanza.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm stumped as I've read no other comments with a similar complaint.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #306
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm grateful it now runs on iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. Alas, though, it crashes out of the box on OS 3.1.3 now. And, it's a major production to restore the old app.

I'm running an iPod Touch 2G with OS 3.1.3. So, it is important that a developer specify correctly which OSs their app works under on itunes, but also that the app check before it is installed on an i-device with an older OS!! That's what the better ones do-- they won't install. Stanza instead installs, overwrites the old version, and crashes when you launch meaning you have no ready access to your library or bookmarks.

And, the way the installation works, it moves the older, good, functioning version to the trash where it's ripe for deletion.

Now, I happened to know the work-arounds for this and how to fish out the old version... but the re-installation requires deletion on the i-device first (at least, it does under OS 3.1.3). And there go all the books. Now, if you're really into this, you can use Disk Aid or iPhone Explorer and--if you've made a backup--drag the documents folder over into the right place on the i-device. Which, I had done.

However, once you put it back into your iTunes app library, there goes your newer version. (It won't maintain two versions of the same app at the same time.) Which means a mess on the next synching.

So, while it's good they made it work with iOS 5, it's not nit-picking at all to complain that Amazon blew this upgrade--breaking it for the hundreds of thousands of fully-functional older devices that cannot upgrade their OSs or whose users choose not to upgrade. This is bad programming, bad policy, and bad iTunes notification.

Last edited by robinson; 11-12-2011 at 09:22 AM.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #307
andrea345
andrea345 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I'm on my 3rd or 4th reload of Stanza this morning. I have a 1st gen iPad. Last night's side-load made Stanza unstable, so I started reloading this morning.

There was another iOS upgrade waiting for me. I took it.

I was getting exception errors again. Found my reloaded Stanza needed it's Nov. 10th upgrade again.

I'm looping now. Let's see how this one works.

Last edited by andrea345; 11-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.
andrea345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #308
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
I've had no issues with the new Stanza at all... as info... I keep my lib on Mac/Calibre so I only have twelve books loaded to Stanza/iPad. All covers (native and Calbre added) show fine. So far it's been pure joy. (Stanza 3.2, iOS 5.01)

Last edited by 1611mac; 11-12-2011 at 11:35 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #309
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
OK tried that, but am getting the error:

Catalog Error
Error reading catalog data. Please try again later.

Anyone have any ideas?
Odd, it just takes me to the login page. Maybe try https:// instead?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #310
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Okay, here's what happened to me: I too hastily upgraded, though I'm still on 4.3.3. Oops. Crash city, as we now know. I tried to revert to the old version, couldn't do it for some reason. Even restored from a backup. Somehow Stanza was still screwed up.

I had to go searching the web for the old binaries. Finally found a working one here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/vBYvE5ek/Stanza_v31.html

Note: this works for me on iPad. Use only as last resource and at your own risk.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #311
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Odd, it just takes me to the login page. Maybe try https:// instead?
clicking the link in your post takes me to to "https" even though the link says "http"

here it is with the s
https://store.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?&t=login
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #312
kyteflyer
Wizard

I've tried a couple more readers this morning (AU time).

eBookMobi at $1.99. Not bad. Theres also a "free" version at 0.99c (I'm quoting au prices here... YMMV according to your country) Very basic adjustment of colour, but has the swipe to dim or brighten a la stanza. Sideloading capable. Links to a number of free sites, some of which don't seem to work. Links to Dropbox for downloading your stored books from there. Stardict dictionaries can be installed. Instructions on the dictionary tab. I havent, because I dont usually use a dictionary. The library does not show a thumbnail of the book cover. It has a generic icon in a large or small version. Margins are minimal, so you get a full page with maybe 5px all round. Tap left or right to move forward or back through the book, and centre to access settings etc or close the book. You can also add bookmarks with a text title.

It hasnt had a hiccup in 5.0.1. More advantages. It can read comics and PDF, txt, .doc and more. No DRM reading though.

I kinda like it, andit *seems* to obey formatting instructions (cant find that formatted epub file someone posted, to test it out).

Also tried ebooks reader but it was linked to the ebooks.com site and there was no sideloading capacity. Dropped.

I have also dropped Readme as a possibility. No response from the developers, and constant accessing the internet. Seems dodgy to me, and it was shaping up so well. Its also become unreliable under iOS5.0.1

[edit] Found the fonts file as attached in the readme thread. ebooksmobi obeys formatting and font italic and bold but NOT when span and class are involved. it only knows about the i and b, and i+b tags. Suits me.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #313
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
clicking the link in your post takes me to to "https" even though the link says "http"

here it is with the s
https://store.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?&t=login
So its working for you?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #314
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Received a reply from Amazon this morning directing me to Stanza developer's site. I had witheld any purchase from Amazon for full over a week and had decided not to buy anything from them if they did not do something about Stanza. Apparantly this update is the last one. They should make the source code available to general public. I am sure there will be some one on the Calibre team or elsewhere whoc could develop Stanza.

I would give up Amazon on this issue like I did with Sony over the rootkit issue over 5 years ago. Haven't bought anythig Sony ever since nor ever will in future:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BM...ootkit_scandal
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #315
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Razi, tell Amazon, please. The only way to make them care about Stanza in any way is customer pressure.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza