Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
snotty
snotty began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
power depleted using coolreader from pbchess-1.2.6.42

Hello All,

First a big thanks to all the wonderful folks here providing knowledge and support! It helped me enjoy my ereading enormously.

As I have not encountered a similar issue in these forums I posted it in dev corner. If it is out of place; feel free to move it.

Three days ago I wanted to charge my, low on power, Aura HD while using Coolreader from the pbchess package.
I remembered it does not charge while coolreader/pbchess is active so I thought I pressed the reboot-button on the screen.

Then it happend; it went to the screensaver (rpm-gauge) and it has not come out of it. I had it on a charger ever since (two days)

At first I searched the forums. None of the common procedures worked.
1) press the reset-button at the bottom.
2) hold the power-slide for over 20 sec. then press the light-switch and hold the power switch.
3) same procedure as with 2) and repeatingly switching the power switch.
4) more exotic combinations: hold light and power switch for over 20sec.; hold reset-switch and light-switch; hold reset switch and power switch.
[edit] just found the link on depleted battery and succesful reset using light and power switch together; did not work for me either:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232517
[/edit]

Assuming here : It is out of power and the charging logic of the board/reader has no power to control the charging thus it is unable to charge. Even though the charger is connected.
"Normal" devices ie. my tablet, phone, have a "trickle charge" function. So it charges very very slowly but you are able to get out of this situation. But it seems it is not doing that either.

The question:
1) Did I miss something? If so; please help!
2) If my assuming is correct; can somebody point out to me how I can bypass the charging logic and get some charge in the battery.

I'm hoping that I missed something; If not I will open the device, but I rather not.

Thank you in advance.
And again a big thank you for the help I've already gotten!

Last edited by snotty; 02-12-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Update on link found/adding missing info
snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Just holding the power slider button all the way to the right while counting to 20 should insure that the AuraHD shuts down. If you are using the Kobo Start Menu (KSM) you can use the "Tools">"checkbatteryautorefresh.sh" to monitor the device's charging.

If the battery is too low, you may need to try switching between different charging sources, say your computer and a wall charger. The charging circuit may reset its parameters. Then you should leave it charging overnight. There is no Trickle Charging Li-ion batteries. There is no overcharging, by leaving it on the charger.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
snotty

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your prompt response! I've left the device on a charger for 3 days while I was away. Still nothing.

You are right on the trickle charging. This is not what I meant; sorry for the confusion.
I've had a Archos G9 80 tablet that seemed depleted at one point. After you let it stay on a charger for more than a day, the battery would be charged enough for it to boot. So it would charge; only very slowly. When shutting down the device it warns you it will not charge when shutdown. The tablet I have now has some basic charging logic where it pictures a battery on screen that "charges".

- While using Coolreader to read my books I noticed the device does not charge when I plugged in the charger; this made me restart the device into Nickle to have it charge.
- Now it has depleted while using Coolreader. I am afraid that there is no more charge left for the device to operate any logic and thus is not able to charge.

The past 3 days I've thought about it and I've decided to open the device up and get the battery charged externally or hook up an external battery.

Again, Thank you for your contributions on these forums!
Will let you know how this ends; hopefully not in tears ;-)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
snotty

Hi Ken and others,

I am happy to report that my Aura HD is back alive.

After trying other suggestions about pressing buttons which were unsuccessful I had hooked up the battery to an external charger (prying the battery wires on the HD and soldering leads on it and also on a wall-socket battery-charger that was easily opened).
This did not seem to work. The multimeter showed 4 Volts on the battery so that was charged. I was at a loss. What to do?!

Then I wanted to remove the tape I had used isolating the leads I had soldered on the wires to be able to make a clean cut and disconnect the battery. As I had no idea how to release the connector. Then I accidentally pulled the connector from the mainboard.
It turns out you must not pull it out of the connector parallel to the mainboard but orthogonal to it. (when the screen is on the surface; screen facing down; pull/move the connector straight up).

I left it for a couple of days; pressing some buttons and combinations of it to make sure there was no charge left anywhere in the device.

Just now I put the connector back and activated the slide-button and o-la-la it came up!

Thank you all for the great work I am about to enjoy again after a little mishap.
I hope my experience is useful to somebody.

I wish you all a lovely day!

Tags
aura hd, bricked, charge, depleted, power