Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
danielhenlou
danielhenlou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.9.6.1
Kindle not recognizing Ancient Greek

Hello, please, I'm trying to convert an Ancient Greek text from docx to Kindle. I took the text from Wikisource.

So, I copy it to Word, send to Kindle convert and have it in my device.

But Kindle does not recognize words, if I try to select one, it just selects a letter, so I can not check the dictionary.

Any thoughts?

I've tried unicode, tried saving as webpage.

The weird thing is that I've done it before and it worked well. I have some Ancient Greek texts within my Kindle. They work perfectly. There was something I did to make them work I don't remember what was.

Perhaps you know.
danielhenlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhenlou View Post
Hello, please, I'm trying to convert an Ancient Greek text from docx to Kindle. I took the text from Wikisource.

So, I copy it to Word, send to Kindle convert and have it in my device.

But Kindle does not recognize words, if I try to select one, it just selects a letter, so I can not check the dictionary.

Any thoughts?

I've tried unicode, tried saving as webpage.

The weird thing is that I've done it before and it worked well. I have some Ancient Greek texts within my Kindle. They work perfectly. There was something I did to make them work I don't remember what was.

Perhaps you know.
Did you embed a suitable Greek font, so that the device can recognize the characters? Unicode is all well and good, but it's useless if the letter forms are outside of the range of the Unicode on the device.

So..font?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Get the AZW from the Kindle and covert to epub and look at the code.

I guess that some letters have been treated as special, and have a span that selects a different font.

Often I see that in commercial files and mostly it's unnecessary, the built in fonts are sufficient, at least if you have a modern device, so I strip those out

Wikisource should be html, so just save the webpage and import that into Sigil or Calibre rather then entrusting it to Word.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ancient greek