Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
ogduartev
ogduartev began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS700
Question [Old Thread] Export notes from sony PRS700 reader

Hi,
just a question... How can I export the notes I have written in the electronic reader?

thanks in advance...
ogduartev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can't, since the notes and stored in ebook files, but rather in a separate XML file. A rather silly way of doing things. I might eventually add support for exporting/importing the notes using calibre, but that will take some time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
mishuxp
mishuxp doesn't littermishuxp doesn't litter

Device: PRS 700
Export notes from sony PRS700 reader ?

Hello,

Any update on this feature?

thanks!
mishuxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you raised a Ticket (or checked to see if there is already one raised) for this as a feature request. If not, then I would suggest that you do as otherwise the request can get lost amongst the flood of other items that need looking at.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #5
mishuxp

Lightbulb #3415

Thanks!

Now I have: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/3415

And what can I do now?
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Wait I guess

At least now you have raised a ticket it will show up whenever these are reviewed to see what work should be done next.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The annotations for epub and pdf books are stored in XML files in the annotations folder.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The annotations for epub and pdf books are stored in XML files in the annotations folder.
Does that mean that you can easily identify them and transfer them from the reader to a PC/Mac when you've got the reader mounted as a disk drive? Is the XML schema available so that you can parse it?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Does that mean that you can easily identify them and transfer them from the reader to a PC/Mac when you've got the reader mounted as a disk drive? Is the XML schema available so that you can parse it?
Yeah it's trivial to do, I just haven't implemented it in calibre because it needs some infrastructure in calibre itself.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #10
mishuxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah it's trivial to do, I just haven't implemented it in calibre because it needs some infrastructure in calibre itself.
So we should expect this feature soon?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishuxp View Post
So we should expect this feature soon?
No promises
Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
mishuxp

Question Any future prospects?

Hello!

Any future prospects on this marvelous feature ?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
jbone1313
jbone1313 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
+1 from me.
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
thingumybob
Junior? JUNIOR?! OK :-)
thingumybob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Getting to read annotations/notes

I would LOVE to be able to somehow extract the notes and annotations from my Sony Reader (I have the PRS 600 Touch). It is to me inexplicable that Sony don't permit this with the Reader software (although frankly, that software is cr*p), so I was hoping calibre would permit it by now? If not I will do it myself if somebody can lead me to where the file/s to decrypt are hidden! Thanks.
thingumybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingumybob View Post
... I was hoping calibre would permit it by now? If not I will do it myself if somebody can lead me to where the file/s to decrypt are hidden! Thanks.
I actually had a look at this earlier as I'd also like this feature. While I'm not a programmer by trade I have fairly extensive experience with scripting languages, although not so much with Python.

Sony seems to use three different schemes for saving annotations (I have only looked at ebub files, for other formats there might be other syntaxes, after all a PDF does not conform to an xml structure):

* Freehand scribbles: Saved as SVG, plus an entry in an .annot-file which indicates the position relative to page. Saved in for instance \database\markup\database\media\books\Miguel de Cervantes\The Story of Don Quixote\The Story of Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes_45.epub\1277997910049.445.svg on the reader.

* Highlighted text: Entries indicate start/end for a "marked" section. The reference includes filename, but it appears that start and end in different xhtml-files is not supported (the annotation won't show on the reader).

* Bookmarks: As for highlighted text, but the position indicates a single character only (probably first character of the relevant page)

The positions are saved in a .annot file which looks suspiciously like an xml file: For instance \Digital Editions\Annotations\database\media\books\Miguel de Cervantes\The Story of Don Quixote\The Story of Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes_45.epub.annot

The thing is, the marked text is not itself contained in the XML, it needs to be extracted from the files in the epub. An example reference to a highlight is:

<target>
<fragment start="29468/0.html#point(/1/4/1/1)" end="29468/0.html#point(/1/4/1/1:27)"/>
</target>

When I tried to examine the xpointer-ish entry it doesn't seem to be valid for the indicated file, it's probably a reference to an internal rendering of the text. All points seem to start with "/1/4/....." as indicated above, but when I try to find this entry via xpointer in the file I can't use the reference to get to the correct text. For the example it's easy (it's the very first 27 characters of the body), but for instance "29468/0.html#point(/1/4/34/1)" does not refer to the 34th xhtml element of the body. It seems that it ignores certain tags when counting, but I don't know which ones (again, probably it refers to some internal rendering).

In addition I'm not familiar with how I could access the relevant text in an epub from code within Calibre, nor how to handle the content with the Calibre data structure if I did manage to extract it. If a more accomplished Python coder would like to try reverse-engineering it I'll help in any way that I can

Edit: I also found a file \database\cache\cacheExt.xml, which seems to contain references in a more readable format. It also stores up to a hundred characters of text from highlights, but it's possible to highlight more than that on the reader. I suspect this might be that Sony wants to avoid issues with copyright holders. To get these would definitely be an improvement.

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 07-01-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import/export notes, sony reader