Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #466
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Jesse Peterson's series is pretty good:

"A heartwarming tale of terror in the middle of the zombie apocalypse.

Meet Sarah and David.

Once upon a time they met and fell in love. But now they're on the verge of divorce and going to couples' counseling. On a routine trip to their counselor, they notice a few odd things - the lack of cars on the highway, the missing security guard, and the fact that their counselor, Dr. Kelly, is ripping out her previous client's throat."
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #467
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
"...and the fact that their counselor, Dr. Kelly, is ripping out her previous client's throat."

Adding it to my TBR.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #468
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks to everyone for the blood, guts, and love suggestions for Valentine's Day.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #469
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Roads Less Traveled: Murphy's Law by C. Dulaney.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Kasey and the gang were held together by a set of rules, their Zombie Plan. It kept them alive through the beginning of the End. But when the chaos faded, they became careless, and Murphy’s Law decided to pay a long-overdue visit.

“We had all made it through those first days of the zombie uprising, fought and bled over hundreds of miles to find each other…scratching and clawing just to keep our heads above water when our Z-Plan went to hell.”

Now the group is broken and scattered with no refuge in sight. Those remaining must make their way across West Virginia in search of those who were stolen from them, fighting not only merciless terrain, but hordes of newly-thawed and ravenous deadheads as well.

A new home is found. New alliances are formed. Then an alarming development presents itself in severe and bloodthirsty fashion. A situation Kasey and the gang never planned for. When the stakes are raised even higher, when many more lives are at risk, can the group re-evaluate everything they thought they knew and survive the unknown?

If you liked the first in the series, The Plan, then you'll like this.

Finally finished Tufo's epic 5 (or was it 6) book Zombie Fallout series. A recommended Zomedy, it got tiresome toward the end. If in fact I have reached the end; there are two remaining questions: How is Mike going to get his soul back and save BT and his own son from the Z virus?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #470
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There's Warm Bodies, the book the movie is based on. It was written by Isaac Marion.
I liked both the movie and the book 'WARM BODIES'.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #471
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, and want to go over the whole thread slowly so I can check up on the recommendations, but I just finished reading The Variant Effect:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...variant-effect

Very good and different take on zombies, it's more 28 Days Later zombies than Romero's shuffling horrors, so expect lots of action and bodily fluids spraying.

Book 1 is free, the second is less than a Starbucks, and there's a free short story at the end, they aren't terribly long which is a bit annoying as I want to see more of this world, but I recommend them whole heartedly.

It wins my award for "most cringe worthy sex scene ever" as well.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #472
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Forgot to recommend Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End by Manel Loureiro. This is a Spanish zombie tale translated well into English. The fact that it takes place in Europe makes a nice change of pace - unfamiliar locations, shortage of guns, etc.

Scenes are adequately bloody and horrific, though, and keeps Loureiro keeps the action going. Big best seller in Spain from what I learned of it.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #473
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Has anyone mentioned Diana Rowland's "My Life as a White Trash Zombie" yet? I seem to recall that it sold quite well. And the cover art won a Spectrum award.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #474
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I thought "My Life as a White Trash Zombie" was hilarious, a lighthearted zombie book. For a serious ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL zombie book- Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #475
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The sequel to John Dies At the End by David Wong, This Book Is Full of Spiders, has "let's-just-call-them-zombies": inter-dimensional parasites that only our heroes can see (because of the soy sauce). It's more exciting, if less clever, than the first book. Both horrific and funny.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #476
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I am currently reading World War Z. I am afraid it is a total let down. All the hype had me hanging out to read it before the movie came out. I find it very disjointed, I am just not getting enough meat to connect to any of the characters. You just get a taste of info on a character and bang you have moved onto a new character.
I like to get to know my characters, watch them grow and develop. It just is not there in this book..

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #477
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am currently reading World War Z. I am afraid it is a total let down. All the hype had me hanging out to read it before the movie came out. I find it very disjointed, I am just not getting enough meat to connect to any of the characters. You just get a taste of info on a character and bang you have moved onto a new character.
I like to get to know my characters, watch them grow and develop. It just is not there in this book..

applesauce
While I can understand your POV, I think you just went into it with incorrect expectations of what it was. WWZ is not a novel with the usual 3-Act story structure where a character is introduced, goes past a point of no return to pursue a goal while opposed by an antagonist, and by the end reaches the goal and experiences a change along the way.

The title "WWZ: An Oral History of the Zombie War." Tells you a lot right there and what it says is it's not a novel. Per Wikipedia: "Oral history is the collection and study of historical information about individuals, families, important events, or everyday life[...]. These interviews are conducted with people who participated in or observed past events and whose memories and perceptions of these are to be preserved as an aural record for future generations. That's why you feel disappointment, it's not really written to tell a story but to preserve "memories" of a fictional event.

Note also that the subtitle is not "Oral History of A Zombie War" but "Oral History of THE Zombie War." Brooks's premise was he was preserving a history that everyone in this fictional world lived through. As such, there was no need for a great deal of exposition, background, etc. because he treated it as if his reader was generally familiar with the course of his fictional war.

Again, I can see why you might be disappointed, but if you stop and think about the insanely imaginative way he approached it, I hope you can give it another chance.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #478
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

And here I thought I would ignite a firestorm of intense discussion of World War Z. What's the matter everyone? Shambler got your tongue?

;-)
Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #479
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
And here I thought I would ignite a firestorm of intense discussion of World War Z. What's the matter everyone? Shambler got your tongue?

;-)
Well I enjoyed it a lot. I listened to the audio version and was really absorbed in it, so no intense disagreement here .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #480
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well I enjoyed it a lot. I listened to the audio version and was really absorbed in it, so no intense disagreement here .
the full-cast version?