Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #16
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
It needs to be larger than 6" this time.

I'll be giving it a look if it is, as I usually love their hardware above everyone else.
The last nook was about 8"
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
That diagram makes it look like the same device we been getting which makes no sense for B&N is under new ownership since the last device came out, right? I don't know if I will purchase but may do so out of curiosity, I already have a Samsung S7, two iPads, two Kindles, 3 or 4 kobos LOL
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
That diagram makes it look like the same device we been getting which makes no sense for B&N is under new ownership since the last device came out, right? ...
It looks pretty close (don't know what color it's going to be, I hope black). The difference is that the bezels look smaller and the placement of page turn keys are different (right on the edge like the Kindle Keyboard or the D01100 no-touch Basic). I'm guessing they did that to make the bezel smaller. Not sure if the screen will be flush or not (the diagram tends to make me think it won't be). It's capacitive touch (unlike the GlowLight 3). Quad Core should make it faster (it has BlueTooth, but they had that on the 7.8" Plus, don't know if the've ever it used it for anything, though). It has more memory (32 GBs) and the USB-C port many seem to want. My main hopes are that the screen is as good as the GlowLight 3's and that they skew the font sizes more to the "normal" size range. And if would be nice if they allowed fonts to be side loaded.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:50 PM   #19
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Put me in that camp.
Me too. I prefer 5" and 6" ereaders. I want a smaller reader that I can pocket for portability. I don't need to make my font massive. I do wonder if we'll end up with 24" ereaders someday.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
After sustained and careful study, combined with the use of a scanning electron microscope, I have definitively concluded that the new Glowlight 4 has the buttons on the back and the screen on the front.
Get that man a MacArthur "Genius" Grant! (And maybe a trip to an optometrist.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2021, 11:09 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
That diagram makes it look like the same device we been getting which makes no sense for B&N is under new ownership since the last device came out, right?
I don't think the 4 looks much like the 3, aside from having buttons on each side. A family resemblance, that fits in with the the rest of the Nook line. But not a retread.

I wouldn't want a ground up redesign. I really like Nook hardware.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:54 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think the 4 looks much like the 3, aside from having buttons on each side. A family resemblance, that fits in with the the rest of the Nook line. But not a retread.

I wouldn't want a ground up redesign. I really like Nook hardware.
It's got rounded corners, like the GL3, but the segmentation around the border looks almost like the rubber bumpers of the original GlowLight. Hope that's not the case, but it's hard to tell with just the diagram. Hope it's black, not white. Just seems like the fonts have better contrast when the bezel is black.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:04 AM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just seems like the fonts have better contrast when the bezel is black.
Yeah. I prefer black too and I never skin my ereaders on the front (I tried once, and the contrast lessened considerably. I realize it was an optical illusion, but it bothered me a lot).

(Edit: not that I'm in the market for the GL4. I don't want a 6'' ereader, and I've had it with the Nook software after the disastrous grey font update. I put my 7.8'' Glowlight up for sale a couple of days ago. But I still keep an eye on the Nook news, in the probably vain hope that they'll change something.)

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-28-2021 at 02:07 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:58 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Hope it's black, not white. Just seems like the fonts have better contrast when the bezel is black.
I have the old, white Glowlight Plus and the Clara (black is the only option) and I couldn't say I notice a difference in contrast between the two.

Honestly, within ten seconds of reading, I really don't notice the bezel color at all.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:00 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
(Edit: not that I'm in the market for the GL4. I don't want a 6'' ereader, and I've had it with the Nook software after the disastrous grey font update. I put my 7.8'' Glowlight up for sale a couple of days ago. But I still keep an eye on the Nook news, in the probably vain hope that they'll change something.)
I'm just happy to see B&N still has enough interest to put one out every couple years. My eReader was a Nook Simple Touch, so I've kind of got a soft spot for Nooks. I will at least look take a long look at one of these GlowLight 4s.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:07 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I have the old, white Glowlight Plus and the Clara (black is the only option) and I couldn't say I notice a difference in contrast between the two.

Honestly, within ten seconds of reading, I really don't notice the bezel color at all.
Unfortunately I do. My eyes are a little "wonky" about light I guess. My old, white Kobo seemed too dim to read from comfortably, but the black one I just got (and replaced the battery in) seems much darker. (Maybe it is, in reality, darker, but I think experimented with white readers in the past — my Kindle Paperwhite 3 is white — and it seemed when I put dark paper up against the bezel and the screen seemed to have better contrast for me.) I need contrast or I have trouble reading. That's why, even on a good, modern screen, I like to use a dark font.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:33 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Unfortunately I do. My eyes are a little "wonky" about light I guess. My old, white Kobo seemed too dim to read from comfortably, but the black one I just got (and replaced the battery in) seems much darker. (Maybe it is, in reality, darker, but I think experimented with white readers in the past — my Kindle Paperwhite 3 is white — and it seemed when I put dark paper up against the bezel and the screen seemed to have better contrast for me.) I need contrast or I have trouble reading. That's why, even on a good, modern screen, I like to use a dark font.
Same for me, except I've never had a white reader and don't plan on ever getting one, after my experimentations with a skin (which wasn't even white or light at all, just not quite as black as the bezel). I have to have a black bezel.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:39 AM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

That "other site" mentioned that Nook had cases up for the new GlowLight 4. One of the pictures of the case showed the GlowLight 4. It looks pretty close to the GlowLight except narrower bezels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glowlight4.png
Views:	260
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	190510  
Old 11-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
That "other site" mentioned that Nook had cases up for the new GlowLight 4. One of the pictures of the case showed the GlowLight 4. It looks pretty close to the GlowLight except narrower bezels.
The lighting made it look like there were only buttons on the right at first. And it does look like a sunken screen. I was hoping it would be flush, but wasn't really expecting it.

If it is waterproof and has the amber lighting, I'll probably get it. Those are more important to me than the 32GB storage* and USB-C. Right now I bounce between my Glowlight Plus (waterproof) and my Clara (amber light) and my old ST (I like the buttons and never get to use the 3). It would be nice to combine all that into a single device.

It may have been a bad business decision on B&N's part, but I am glad it is being released after I've finished my Christmas shopping.

*And please sweet baby Jesus, let's hope B&N learned from the original Glowlight and the Glowlight 3 and doesn't pull any shenanigans with the storage. Even if they want to reserve 5-10GB for their own content, fine. But leave the bulk open to the user.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:57 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
If it is waterproof and has the amber lighting, I'll probably get it. Those are more important to me than the 32GB storage* and USB-C. Right now I bounce between my Glowlight Plus (waterproof) and my Clara (amber light) and my old ST (I like the buttons and never get to use the 3). It would be nice to combine all that into a single device.
I like the looks of it but the GlowLight 3 is still a really good reader (except, in my opinion, the lack of font adjustments at the "normal range"). So I don't know if the upgrade is necessary (for me yet). But it's nice to know that there will be a 6" Nook available for at least a couple more years. I like that the GlowLight 4 still looks a lot like the GL3.

I noticed B&N took down the GlowLight 4 covers when I checked to see if the GlowLight 4 (itself) was being offered.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-29-2021 at 06:03 PM.