Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
la_tristesse
la_tristesse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle 4 Jailbreak

Hi folks,

I'm considering to buy a new kindle 4 (the cheap one for 99 USD) but before I jump to this device I would like to know if it's possible to copy files to the device without the amazon services? I already have a ipad first generation and I'm used to the jailbreak community and accessing the filesystem through ssh. Is this also possible on the kindle 4?

Best Regards
la_tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
You can use drm-free MOBI ebooks or PDFs without jailbreaking. The computer sees the Kindle as a USB drive. If you want SSH or access the system files, you DO need to jailbreak. But there is no jailbreak for Kindle 4.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
la_tristesse

Thanks for responding so fast. Is there hope that there will be a jailbreak in the future? I would really like to exchange files over wifi with ssh.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's my progress on it (summary: no progress): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151537

Amazon really stepped up their security. Our two big chances for hacking this thing is 1) luck (amazon forgetting to delete test scripts like on one guy's Kindle 3 last year) or 2) hardware modifications (to extract the OS files which we can use to analyze for exploits).
Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
la_tristesse

I think I will delay my purchase until you or someone else make further progress, eventually. Also I dont own a kindle device I want to thank you for your efforts. Dont give up.
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-07-2011 at 10:22 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

I don't know why you bumped such an old thread, but just because a couple of people got developer mode working does not mean we should tell everyone to jump on. It's way too hard to set up and use for a normal user who doesn't know what "ssh" is and they could end up breaking their devices.