Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #31
CNL
CNL began at the beginning.

Device: KT2, libra H2O
I can't add epub files to calibre 6 on mac, I get this error:

Quote:
calibre, version 6.0.0
ERROR: Cannot add books: Failed to add some books, click "Show details" for more information.

Worker process crashed while executing job
EOFError
It happens with multiple epub files.
Can I just downgrade and carry on?
Old 07-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #32
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNL View Post
I can't add epub files to calibre 6 on mac, I get this error:

It happens with multiple epub files.
Can I just downgrade and carry on?
The problem is the DeDRM plugin. Disable it. Or downgrade.
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #33
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoplast26 View Post
The Problem is that now the iconography is to large even if the icon are set to small. Are there some sort of tweak to override the scaling factor inside of Calibre. If I disable the scaling on the Windows side everything is too small
I noticed this problem with the first beta launched months ago. I had completely forget about this until you mentioned it now. Here is my original post about this.

Apparently, QT has trouble when you use a non integer scale factor (I use 125% on my Windows 10 machine). There are multiple ways to correct this using an environment variable (see @Quoth's post on the other page). In addition to what he suggested, I can confirm that any of this variables work too:
Code:
QT_SCALE_FACTOR_ROUNDING_POLICY = Round
QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING = 0
Only one of the above is necessary.

Source:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/portingguide.html#high-dpi
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/highdpi.html#...able-reference
Old 07-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #34
Andy52
Andy52 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tried Calibre's new full text search. Is it possible, that Calibre has problems indexing PDF files? If I try to search my cookbooks, Calibre finds only a few books, whereas Finder shows much more.
Thy for any solution.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #35
WST1811
WST1811 began at the beginning.

Device: PB641 Pocketbook Aqua 2
On Windows 8.1 64 Bit i got this Error with Installation the Portable Version:

Quote:
---------------------------
calibre
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: direct2d, minimal, offscreen, windows.

OK
In Windows 10 64Bit is everything ok. Could someone help me to run it on W8.1 64 Bit too?

Thanks and Regards
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 04:41 PM   #36
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WST1811 View Post

In Windows 10 64Bit is everything ok. Could someone help me to run it on W8.1 64 Bit too?

Thanks and Regards
Calibre 6 won't run on windows 8.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre 6 won't run on windows 8.
Was that a choice because of some sort of video driver flakiness with WebEngine, or was there a hard dependency issue with the version of Qt6 used?
Old 07-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #38
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Was that a choice because of some sort of video driver flakiness with WebEngine, or was there a hard dependency issue with the version of Qt6 used?
Qt says "no". They say:
Quote:
Both Windows 7 or 8.x version support will not be available for Qt 6. Microsoft discontinued the support for both Windows versions some time ago, and as a vendor, we can no longer maintain support for these windows versions in Qt 6. Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit) was supported as a target in Qt 5.15 LTS and Windows 8.1 (both 32bit and 64bit) as a target in Qt 5.12 LTS.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #39
notdog
notdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Mac laptop
I have a question about the new full-text search feature in Calibre 6. My Calibre library contains about 5,500 titles taking up approximately 36GB. Is there a way to approximate how much additional storage the FS feature will require?
Old 07-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #40
CNL
CNL began at the beginning.

Device: KT2, libra H2O
Smile

Quote:
The problem is the DeDRM plugin. Disable it. Or downgrade.
Problem solved! Thank you!
I hadn't used that plugin in years anyway.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Qt says "no". They say:
Quote:
Both Windows 7 or 8.x version support will not be available for Qt 6. Microsoft discontinued the support for both Windows versions some time ago, and as a vendor, we can no longer maintain support for these windows versions in Qt 6. Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit) was supported as a target in Qt 5.15 LTS and Windows 8.1 (both 32bit and 64bit) as a target in Qt 5.12 LTS.
I have a feeling that's more about their paid support not being available (as well as their own binary distributions and development CI) than saying "it won't work. Period." In fact, further down the page there's there's this:

Quote:
The Qt community may very well maintain support for these and other environments. As usual, there is also a commercial opportunity for customers to purchase additional, extended support for dedicated hosts and targets.
There's also official Qt instructions for cross-compiling QtWebEngine 6.3.1 for x86 using Visual Studio's x64 to x86 cross-compile toolchain:

Quote:
Qt WebEngine can only be built on 64-bit Windows, with a x64-bit toolchain. For building Qt WebEngine for x86 applications, you need to configure and compile Qt with the Visual Studio x64 to x86 cross-compile toolchain. This toolchain can be set up on the command line by running vcvarsall.bat amd64_x86.
I would be very surprised if the same were not true for most other Qt6 modules (since QtWebEngine depends on other pieces of Qt6). I guess I was looking for concrete evidence that a) Qt6 cannot be compiled to work on Windows 8.x, and that b) Qt6 cannot be compiled for x86 targets. But I'm just not seeing that anywhere. I get that building Qt can be a huge PITA--and I don't blame any dev for choosing to drop 32-bit versions of their applications (I'm looking forward to doing it myself). I just think there's a difference here between can't and won't. *shrug*

I guess I could answer all of my own questions if only I had a Windows 8.x machine!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-11-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WST1811 View Post

Thanks and Regards
Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 10. You can still do so for free. Any computer that can run Windows 8 can run Windows 10.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ows-10-upgrade

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-11-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #43
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdog View Post
I have a question about the new full-text search feature in Calibre 6. My Calibre library contains about 5,500 titles taking up approximately 36GB. Is there a way to approximate how much additional storage the FS feature will require?
I moved your post to here

I have a library of ~3,500 books comprising ~14,000 files (includes format, cover.jpgs and metadata.opfs) the index (full-text-search.db) is 3.53GB

Most books have at least two format files.

BR
Old 07-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #44
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Will this version run with Qt5? I am running linux mint x64 20.3 and mint has yet to add Qt6 to their repositories.

If not I guess I am sticking with version 5 for a while.

Dave
Old 07-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Will this version run with Qt5? I am running linux mint x64 20.3 and mint has yet to add Qt6 to their repositories.

If not I guess I am sticking with version 5 for a while.

Dave
Calibre 6 runs on Qt6.
Closed Thread