Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #61
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeap. Though say bookeen, not the final version.

The more time passes, the more i feel like there is someting that prevent the ePub firmware from running on older cybook bookeen can't find a way around.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #62
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
I doubt it. If so, it would only be incompetence at Bookeen. Besides Weltbild.de having this functionality in Bookeen version 1.9 (they seem to have bought it) on our very same 512MB Gen3, at least three Hanlin V3 sellers have epub firmware running with folders on a slower processor.
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #63
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
The CPU speed is not necessarily a limitation. Memory size can be a much pain if it's too low.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #64
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

and what about version 1.9, implemented by Bookeen, and bought by Weltbild.de for Cybook Gen3 512 MB, where it now runs and is being sold? Hanlin V3 is also 512 MB.

I just don't think it's "can't", but if that's the case, it must be incompetence. It's already been done on the same and other hardware of no better capability.

Last edited by rireed3; 11-23-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 AM   #65
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

512MB is the Disk size, not the CPU RAM size
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #66
rireed3
Connoisseur

Hanlin v3 has 32M SDRAM (missed by the Wiki here, but on the Jinke site).

The Wiki here says Gen3/512 has 32M SDRAM (the Wiki here has been updated more recently than the Bookeen site, which only has Gen3/64 described).

To remind you again, Bookeen version 1.9, with epub and Adobe DRM and "Folder View", has been running for months on Cybook Gen3/512's sold by Weltbild.de.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #67
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rireed3 View Post
Hanlin v3 has 32M SDRAM (missed by the Wiki here, but on the Jinke site).

The Wiki here says Gen3/512 has 32M SDRAM (the Wiki here has been updated more recently than the Bookeen site, which only has Gen3/64 described).

To remind you again, Bookeen version 1.9, with epub and Adobe DRM and "Folder View", has been running for months on Cybook Gen3/512's sold by Weltbild.de.
And these particular gen3 have 32M of ram. Some older version had only 16M think.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #68
rireed3
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
And these particular gen3 have 32M of ram. Some older version had only 16M think.
Yes, I just saw in the Wiki, there was a Gen3 V2 with 512M flash and 16M SDRAM, but I do. The 64M-flash Gen3 was V1 with 16M SDRAM.

I can't find when the changes were made, or even how to see which one I have, although mine was very recent.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that the original 64MB model only had 8MB RAM. That may be the stumbling block, perhaps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rireed3 View Post
Yes, I just saw in the Wiki, there was a Gen3 V2 with 512M flash and 16M SDRAM, but I do. The 64M-flash Gen3 was V1 with 16M SDRAM.

I can't find when the changes were made, or even how to see which one I have, although mine was very recent.
If your Gen3 has a serial number beginning "EB600..." it's the recent model with 32MB RAM; if the serial number is "EB100..." it's the older model.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #71
rireed3
Connoisseur

Thanks -- that's reassuring!

Bookeen's page on the 64M-flash Gen3 says 8MB ROM and 16MB RAM.

Interestingly, Hanlin V3 has a spec (here in the Wiki and at the Jinke site) for "2M NOR Flash", so I wonder if that's BeBook's total ROM!

But again, version 1.9, with epub and Adobe DRM and "Folder View" has been running on EB600 Cybook Gen3/512's sold by Weltbild.de for months.

Last edited by rireed3; 11-23-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #72
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
No way can it be this memory issue that causes the ineptness by Bookeen in not either releasing the firmware or providing an explanation for the inordinate delay.

If it was the memory issue for some Cybooks they would release for the EB600 serial number ones and explain that the older Cybooks would have to wait.

It is just that they have lost focus for us current users and moved onto their new machines. I'm reasonably happy just reading what I have and can put on my Cybook. No folders is a pain but I can cope.

What I will not be doing is sticking with Bookeen in the future. If they can be so poor at customer support over this then it will not improve in the future.

Lots of competition around and my guess is that Bookeen will not be around for a lot longer, sadly.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #73
Godzil

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
No way can it be this memory issue that causes the ineptness by Bookeen in not either releasing the firmware or providing an explanation for the inordinate delay.
Are you sure? Me not. I heard that some problem bookeen encounter was memory related...
Old 11-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #74
rireed3
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Are you sure? Me not. I heard that some problem bookeen encounter was memory related...
I think you misunderstood. If you read further in peterbbb's post, he covers all the variations. Clearly, EB600/V3 hardware has the memory to run version 1.9. If earlier Gen3's don't, there are several ways to address this in order to give any consideration at all to current owners of the Mobi-DRM-firmware machines.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #75
rireed3
Connoisseur

Quote:
Lots of competition around and my guess is that Bookeen will not be around for a lot longer, sadly.
I thought so too, since they seemed to have missed the Christmas retail season -- who would buy a Mobi machine, so they depend on Opus, with a reputation for bugs.

Then they turned up with this Gold Edition Gen3, epub/Adobe DRM and 1GB flash at Books On Board, but US-only so far. Maybe they can eke out enough to stay in the game.

Tags
bookeen, cybook opus, support