Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Hawke
Hawke began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Sony Library 3 USA to UK up date

I have a 505 which I imported from the states before they were released in the UK. I also got hold of two hundred dollars of Sony e book vouchers. So I set up a Sony USA e book account and since then I have been paying for books through the Sony USA site.

As I have a 600 coming on Thursday, I was about to up date the Sony library when I wondered if I will still be able to read the e books I purchased from Sony USA – if I up date to a UK account.

Any help anyone.
Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
fuhur
fuhur began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
wouldn't this question be best answered by their support team?
fuhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
As I have a 600 coming on Thursday, I was about to up date the Sony library when I wondered if I will still be able to read the e books I purchased from Sony USA – if I up date to a UK account.
No, you can't buy from the Sony ebook store unless you are in (or say you are in) the US. That said, if you update you would just keep on using the same account...

Why would you change?

Or, and even better question, why would you want to change?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
I would guess if you load the UK version it will lock you out of the US shop & you will loose your credit. This happened with the old (2.?) if you loaded it you could not access the US site even if you deleted it and loaded the US

Don't try!!
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
With the v3 software you can readily swap between the north american and uk versions from the preferences.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #6
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
With the v3 software you can readily swap between the north american and uk versions from the preferences.
Yes, you can change to the US version from the UK version with EBL3. I did it and got a couple of free books from Sony. BUT when I tried to download them to a reader with UK firmware on it it wouldn't let me. So I very much doubt you can switch back and forth. I think you will have to keep all readers and software the same and can't see any advantages for you to switch to the UK version.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
I have a 505 which I imported from the states before they were released in the UK. I also got hold of two hundred dollars of Sony e book vouchers. So I set up a Sony USA e book account and since then I have been paying for books through the Sony USA site.

Any help anyone.
Why not just download V3 from the Sony US site and install that?
(You'll obviously need to authorise your new 600 at the Sony eBook store account you have your 505 on)

Presumably it will leave you where you are for US book downloads and your credit intact as long as you never give UK details for your account. (Unless that is V3 is programmed to refuse if it detects non US firmware on the reader) - post above?

Or do as I have, US software on one PC & UK on another.

Last edited by columbus; 09-08-2009 at 06:43 AM.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Hawke

Thanks

It looks as if a V3 download gives me the chance to set USA or UK. But I think that if I do load UK I will lose the sony books. I have had no problem loading UK books though the USA account so I think that I will stay with the best of both worlds and register my new 600 through the USA account.

Thanks for all the advice.

Gary
Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathos View Post
Yes, you can change to the US version from the UK version with EBL3. I did it and got a couple of free books from Sony. BUT when I tried to download them to a reader with UK firmware on it it wouldn't let me. So I very much doubt you can switch back and forth. I think you will have to keep all readers and software the same and can't see any advantages for you to switch to the UK version.
Did you Authorise your reader to the US account?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Hawke

Yep - at the time there was only the sony USA site I could use. So the 505 is authorised to Sony USA. Now that sony have released in the UK I have a 600 that will need to be authorised. What I want to keep is the $120 in my sony USA account and ensure that the book authorised to the 505 will transfer over to the 600.

G
Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
roger the rabbit
Addict

I think we will all be interested in how that goes!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
Hawke

what I did

I have registered the UK 600 with my USA account - all went well, I tried to buy a book from the account all went well - I got a book from Waterstones UK site and all OK. Then I tried Books on Board and again all OK. All my original ebook also read.

I am having problems with sync and some time the V3 just hangs. But so far all looks OK.

Gary