Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Please help me make a running start

Real Soon Now Bookeen is going to send back my first Cybook after replacing the screen I broke, and Real Soon Now they will release the firmware which will enable me to read books in ePub format. So I want get information on
- the most recommended desktop reader,
- the process of downloading and installing ePub ebooks,
- the relationship between ADE and ePub, and (last and least)
- is the preferred spelling: ePub or epub or EPUB?
so that I am ready to start as soon as I get the Cybook and the firmware.

Can anyone help?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Real Soon Now Bookeen is going to send back my first Cybook after replacing the screen I broke, and Real Soon Now they will release the firmware which will enable me to read books in ePub format. So I want get information on
- the most recommended desktop reader,
- the process of downloading and installing ePub ebooks,
- the relationship between ADE and ePub, and (last and least)
- is the preferred spelling: ePub or epub or EPUB?
so that I am ready to start as soon as I get the Cybook and the firmware.

Can anyone help?

Regards, Alex
Okay, here we go:
-Adobe Digital Editions does read all kinds of ePubs (even DRMed).I don't like the look and feel too much, though!
-CoolReader has a nice interface and I like the way the ePubs are rendered
-FBReader ignores some of the integrated CSS but works fine otherwise
-Calibre Reader actually opens the zip files and renders the html.

(2-4 can't display DRMed ePubs)

NonDRMed ePubs are quite obvious to download.
DRMed ePubs have to be downloaded via the activated ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) and then can be directly transferred to an activated reader.

The ADEPT engine (used by Sony, Cool-er and soon Cybook) is the only software that displays DRMed ePubs on hardware readers up till now.

It's ePub.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll do some googling and see if I can find Adobe Digital Editions and CoolReader. I have Calibre, and tried to read 'Zelda's Three men in a Boat' but wouldn't want to read a whole book with it. I can't get FBReader to install on my computer, nor get any help from their forum.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote