Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Using PRS without the Connect Software

Kindle user with a stupid question here.

I was just reading a thread about someone debating between the Kindle and the 505 and the topic came up about the software only working on Windows. While that is well known, what I don't have a clear picture of is what precisely do you lose with that? I understand you can still load content and such since it will work just like a removable drive. Is there a link someone can point me to giving a run down of what doesn't work and what there are workarounds for? I see some people saying it's not a big deal and others that say it's rather a gaping hole. It would be nice if we had something we could give to the "Which one should I buy" folks that would clearly tell them where they stand if they're a Mac or Linux user.

Thanks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Without the Sony software, you can't buy books from the Sony store. Other than that, you lose a tiny bit of function... when Sony loads ebooks onto the device, it pre-paginates LRF and ePub books, so they open faster.

I believe everything else the Sony Library does can be done with Calibre.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Without the Sony software, you can't buy books from the Sony store. Other than that, you lose a tiny bit of function... when Sony loads ebooks onto the device, it pre-paginates LRF and ePub books, so they open faster.

I believe everything else the Sony Library does can be done with Calibre.
So Calibre can load firmware and such? That was one of the things I heard someone say the other day. I think it was in context of that Consumer Reports review *cough* hack job that panned the PRS for "only working with Windows".
Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think Calibre can run the firmware. Hmm. I haven't updated firmware since I got my PRS-505, and I don't remember if/how I did so then. It's possible that the firmware gets done separately from the Sony library software.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Sony's got a standalone firmware updater, but it only runs on Windows (as does their eBook Library software) but to put that into context, so far there's only been the one firmware update, so it's not really an issue...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Sony's got a standalone firmware updater, but it only runs on Windows (as does their eBook Library software) but to put that into context, so far there's only been the one firmware update, so it's not really an issue...
I would think that most people can lay their hands on a Windows machine once in a great while if they needed to. I take it this stuff doesn't work under emulation?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
You don't need Windows to uypdate firmware - you can always extract the new image, copy it to SD card and apply it using Universal Flasher.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I would think that most people can lay their hands on a Windows machine once in a great while if they needed to. I take it this stuff doesn't work under emulation?
My understanding is that the belief is that, in general, there's more chance of timing issues mattering with 'flashing' I/O[*], and running it from emulation adds a few extra steps into the chain which might have enough of an effect to matter. Combined with the fact that a bad flash might make the device unrecoverable[**], the advice is find/boot a Windows OS.

[*] The receiver code will be as small/simple as possible as it'll normally be in ROM, where space is critical, rather than in Flash-ROM, and as a result will have less buffering, etc to cope with delays or errors.

[**] Although to be fair, the Sonys have proved to be very resilient to bricking, even when flashing with the custom tweaks to the firmware. (It's possible to make some minor tweaks, such as adding a clock to the status-bar, different icons & font-sizes in the UI.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Awesome. So far we have content loading (as long as it's not from Sony) and firmware both doable without the software. Someone said the initial registration needs the software. I would imagine that could be done in emulation or you could borrow a machine. Do you even need to do that if you're not shopping in the Sony store? How about the Collections organization?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
How about the Collections organization?
There is a one time hit when loading a book, for each font. With the Software this is offloaded by the PC and it performs the sync for all font sizes.

One very nice feature you lose is sync between the eBook and the PC content. So effectively you can take notes on the reader or the PC. On the PC you can search and set bookmarks on the 505. With the Desktop software this keeps the software synchronized. This is rather huge since I've had my 505 get corrupted several times and I've lost all of my bookmarks because of it. With the PC backup you don't lose this data.

Also you have the ability to organize you collections. Re arrange them so they show up in the order you want them to. I typically put the books I'm reading on the first 1-10 slots of the collection so I don't have to hunt them down.

Calibre 0.6 is claiming to support sync'n bookmarks with the 505 but I have not gotten it to work.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Someone said the initial registration needs the software. [...] Do you even need to do that if you're not shopping in the Sony store?
No. I never registered, for example.

Quote:
How about the Collections organization?
Can be done separately, too. Either through Calibre, my command-line utility or even by hand.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Other than that, you lose a tiny bit of function... when Sony loads ebooks onto the device, it pre-paginates LRF and ePub books, so they open faster.
For ePub, too?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
For ePub, too?
I could be wrong about that. LRF and PDF? Maybe RTFs?

I don't use the Sony software, and I use a lot of homemade PDFs, so everything seems to load slowly the first time I open it. I don't have a lot of ePubs because non-DRM'd ones are rare, and when they're offered, there's usually an LRF option as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
For ePub, too?
Nope. Not for ePub.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I only use the Sony Software to get free books from the Sony Connect store. Otherwise I use Calibre on my Linux machine. It works great.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote