Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
rubikscube99
Enthusiast
rubikscube99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Updating

Hey guys... (im sorry, i really dont know what section this would fit into? its not a problem so it doesnt go under troubleshooting, but it doesnt go under the other sections either..)

anyway:

i am outside the US with a kindle 2, and my firmware is 2.0 (29133 long number). I find it weird that amazon did not update it before shipping it a week ago.. But how do i update directly to 2.0.2 (is that the latest one)? I checked around for changes, but i could not find anything other than speed refreshes? Does it make the text crisper by any chance? How do i update without whispernet?
thanks a lot,
rubiks
rubikscube99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I would be planning to go out of the US in the near future and I would also like to know how this works. As some of the threads that I have read, amazon is kind of restricted in the US... so would like to hear how it is outside of the US.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

no one? i have found a set of instructions in this forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...atantly+update) check the posts by sirbruce

but do these work on 2.0.2? and is it safe to go directly from 2.0 to 2.02? or should i make a pit stop by 2.0.1?
and i saw the forums, and many people report that the text is crispier.. is this really the case?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...1manualupdates
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

hey cool!
thanks!
can one skip directly from 2.0 to 2.0.2?
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, you can.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
So what are the advantages of updating the software? Will ver. 2.0.2 give any new features, or fix any bugs?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
If I recall correctly it is supposed to make turning pages a trifle faster.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks, Cat. If that's the only improvement, I'll pass on it. I can live with the page-turn times as they are now.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote