Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #16
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
Thanks for the advice JSWolf. However I have since removed azardi and am now using Calibre.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did fine a bug in Azardi. When it resaves the file back into the ePub, it does so without any compression making the ePub larger. Can this be fixed so it actually compresses properly?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
I can't get a working library in Azardi. There was no library folder generated on installation, and creating one didn't help either. I'm running XP-SP3 on a PC. Any help!
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
akashigp
akashigp began at the beginning.

Device: none
This issue has been fixed. we are now handling the compression while re-package. Moreover, on package validation, it also lets you know wether the epub you have selected is a compressed one or not.

You can get the latest build from:
http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/A...-%20Downloads/

Last edited by akashigp; 06-03-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the download link
akashigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for this fix.
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #21
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
For those who are looking for answers, I noticed that you needed to update the config.txt and include paths for library_path AND cache_path and report_path.

I put my paths in I: directory under My Docs

library_path = I:\My Documents\xml\openoffice\rjlibrary
cache_path = I:\My Documents\xml\openoffice\azari-cache
report_path = I:\My Documents\xml\openoffice\azari-report

Also, because I'm on 64 bit Vista, I had to change the qt.conf path to look like this:

[Paths]
Prefix = C:/Program Files (x86)/infogridpacific/azardi
Binaries = .

Shut down the program, restart and works perfectly.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
lecteur9
lecteur9 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvan View Post
I can't get a working library in Azardi. There was no library folder generated on installation, and creating one didn't help either. I'm running XP-SP3 on a PC. Any help!
This happened to me as well. I run a Win XP SP2. There is no library folder in the prog folder, and the library screen in Azardi is blank, and I can't copy ebooks into it.

Your help will be appreciated...
lecteur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #23
lecteur9

Library folder not created

I have just installed Azardi Second Release (2.2), and encountered some problems with it: The Library page is blank and I can't copy ebooks into it, and the library folder was not created.

I am running Win XP SP2. From what I've read Azardi is a great prog and I can't wait to sample it Your help will be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
lhamilton
lhamilton began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500, prs-600, ebookwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecteur9 View Post
I have just installed Azardi Second Release (2.2), and encountered some problems with it: The Library page is blank and I can't copy ebooks into it, and the library folder was not created.

I am running Win XP SP2. From what I've read Azardi is a great prog and I can't wait to sample it Your help will be appreciated.
Not sure if it will help, but I installed Azardi recently and ran into the same thing. I then created a /azardi/library/ directory off the root of C and then put an epub into it and it was fine. It seems to default to c:/azardi/library for its library.

Linda
lhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
lecteur9

Problem solved

Linda and rjnagle thanks.

Your combined tips helped me solve my problem.
I reinstalled Azardi under C:\ and added a new "library" folder:
(C:\azardi\library)

Then I updated config.txt with the the same path.

Then I copied a few epub files into the library folder, and now they show on the library page.

Thanks again, and all best.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #26
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

It has been a while since the latest version (2.2) was released and I was wondering do you still keep developing this program. It would be nice if you could add support for SVG wrapped book cover images and for some CSS declarations e.g. page-break-before: always;
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #27
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Hidden thumbnail file

So for the first time I tried using Azardi to validate an epub file I am working on. Everything was checking out except that it was saying that there were files in the package that were not in the manifest. For the life of me I could not find such an error in the code. Finally I copied all files into another folder and than rebuilt the entire book file by file. When I was done it worked without my having changed a line of code. It was then that I realized that the extra file that the Azardi ouput was stating was not in manifest was the invisible file that Windows XP creates for a folder when the view format for the folder is set to thumbnails. This is my standard OP for folders containing only images. Once this is done for the folder the file is there but invisible and does not go away even if the folder view choice is set to something other than thumbnails.

I just thought I would mention this to any out there who might not be aware of the issue.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #28
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
AZARDI 6 has been released

There is a new AZARDI version released lately and here is the text taken from The AZARDI home page:
http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/html/home.html

AZARDI 6

Free ePub Reader

The AZARDI 6 release is a full reinvention of AZARDI and the eBook Reader. This new version is built on the latest Mozilla framework and inherits all the advanced features of Firefox 6.0.

AZARDI 6 works on all desktops Linux, Macintosh and Windows.

The version number of AZARDI now tracks the version number of Firefox. This means the features and capabilities of the reader are always well understood by all users of Firefox and content designers in particular.

The AZARDI User Guide is available in ePub3 format on the resources page.
Main Features

Supports ePub 3 and ePub 2
HTML5 and CSS3
Native MathML
SVG
Browser Typography
Page and flow modes
Fixed layout capable
Multiple readers open
Secure Online linking
AZARDI Interactive Engine
Runs on Linux, Macintosh and Windows

Features in detail

ePub 3. AZARDI has support for ePub 3 packages. AZARDI understands the packaging for ePub 3.0 and can load ePubs without NCX. It does not support MP3 or MP4 because Firefox doesn't. It does support WebM and OGG audio and video. It supports Adobe SWF if you have the plugins installed on a workstation.
HTML5. Every book is automatically framed into HTML5. Even ePub 2.1. HTML5 is pervasive.
CSS3. All the richness of Mozilla CSS is available including gradients, transforms, transitions, CSS animation, OTF properties and Typography - especially hyphenation which is supported from Firefox 6.
MathML can be directly inserted into pages without namespace references. Read the User Guide ePub to get information on fonts.
SVG. Including SVG animation using SMIL is supported, although we haven't experimented with this yet.
Browser typography. OTF properties and hyphenation are supported with the -moz CSS properties. The hyphenation feature uses Mozilla CSS hyphenation.
Page/Flow. Reading mode can be set to page or flow depending on the type of content. AZARDI tries to maintain the page position while changing modes.
Fixed layout capable. Pages can be set up with width and height and edge-to-edge. (See User Guide)
Multiple Readers. You can have multiple readers open at the same time even with the same book. Notes can be made between readers and will reflect in each other.
AZARDI Interactive Engine. AZARDI includes an interactive engine for learning and training. This is proprietary and included for capability demonstration only.

For Publishers

AZARDI is available for customization and branding for licensed IGP:Content Fulfilment Systems users. This gives publishers of appropriate content access to the AZD package format.

AZARDI is designed for massively interactive training and learning content. The AZD format allows the delivery and control on the desktop of subscription content such as rich and interactive courseware learning, education and training content. An AZD format can support presentation of SWF, PDF and Silverlight modules, and work seamlessly with online resources.

the AZD format unleashes new levels of dynamic interactive content under Rights and Agreements control. The powerful subscriptions model allows any business on any content directly from publisher to consumer.

IGP:Content Fulfilment Systems allows the same content to be made available as WebApps optimized for mobile devices, online sites and downloadable desktop packages using AZARDI as the delivery platform.
Background
Shift in Philosophy

Since AZARDI was released in March 2008 a lot has happened with digital content. In 2008 ePub was just emerging as a and HTML5 was of mild interest. Here we are in 2011 and the technology game has changed in many ways, primarily with the advent of tablet computing.

Webkit to Firefox. AZARDI is a desktop reader. There was no particular requirement to stay with Webkit. With the exception of audio and video, Firefox features are more closely matched learning content presentation requirements with native MathML a significant decision maker.

Ree-lax-ed. The 2008 version of AZARDI was strictly strict - the need of the day with ePub just emerging. AZARDI is now relaxed and tolerant of a lot of non-standard components in your ePubs. Why? There is a massive transition going on in digital publishing and users who download something expect it to work, and publishers need an environment to experiment and push the limits of digital content.

Beyond the Novel. The primary purpose of AZARDI has always been to provide an e-book reader that addresses the widest possible range of books and documents. That especially means handling complex layouts for education, training, business books and documents. With the 2011 release of AZARDI we have reached that goal.
Beyond ePub

The requirement for digital content on the desktop has gone well beyond ePub. ePub books have to be created to the lowest common denominator of readers, or made many times for different devices. While that is not an issue if the production environment is IGPigital Publisher (which can create multiple variants with a click), it is still a problem managing and maintaining multiple ePub variants through the supply chain.

There is going to be a focus of ePub on mobile devices and readers in the commercial hardware market which leaves the desktop relatively empty. That is why AZARDI exists.

In the commercial version, AZARDI is publisher brandable, supports user-oriented channel controlled content and highly advanced interaction with the AZARDI Interactive Engine. The interface is austere and vanilla because it is customization ready and of course because the content is more important.

AZARDI is designed as a working ePub reader for content authors and user of academic, reference, education (textbooks), instruction manuals, business publications, interactive content and much more. In the free release AZARDI lets the end-user control all aspects of presentation and flow. In the commercial version publishers have control to ensure content presentation matches the subject matter, especially when it incorporates XY layout components.
The name AZARDI

AZARDI is an expression of the Hindi word "azadi" meaning freedom. The "R" is included to provide pronunciation guidance for those of us who are not skilled in linguistics and phonetics and to make it a trademark. AZARDI is licensed at no charge, but unlike the first release, this version is not open-source.
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #29
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
The AZARDI 6 release is a full reinvention of AZARDI and the eBook Reader. This new version is built on the latest Mozilla framework and inherits all the advanced features of Firefox 6.0.

AZARDI 6 works on all desktops Linux, Macintosh and Windows.

Supports ePub 3 and ePub 2
The application looks great and I think it's one of the best desktop ePub readers out there.

I would improve the following three main issues:
1) Enable drag & drop of an epub on the application.
2) Enable multiple file selection when adding epub files to the library.
3) Make the GUI clearer. The current icon buttons are too small.
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since Azardi is now using the Mozilla Firefox framework, it has to be open source since Mozilla Firefox is open source.