Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #1
Bibibabubi
Bibibabubi began at the beginning.

Device: None
Help me pick a new ereader!

So I'm from Singapore and its unfortunate that there's no physical store I know of that i can try ereaders. I have a very old Kindle (no backlight) and a Kobo Aura HD that spoilt.

I read a lot at night in the dark. So clear display, one handed reading lying down, comfortable backlight that lights the screen uniformly is a must for me.

I'm so torn between Kindle and Kobo and have read a lot of reviews for ereaders for both companies. I hate the fact that i need to jump thru hoops to buy Kindle books but I'm worried that Kobo ereaders don't seem to last. My Aura HD lasted only a year plus and I didn't like its construction. Feels cheap and filmsy.

It's not a must for me to get the latest. Would Kobo Glo HD fit the bill?
Bibibabubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
Bibibabubi

Sorry i mean front lit instead of back light.
Advert
Old 07-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Voyage does appear to have a sturdier case than others but generally there is any difference between Kindle's and Kobo's in terms of how robust they are. Certainly if it's the screen that 'spoilt' on your Aura HD, they are all similar in terms of how fragile the screens can be.

If you can still get a Glo HD, then yes go for it, its a good ereader with a nice, evenly lit screen, it won't be any more robust than your Aura HD was though.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Bibibabubi

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes it was the screen on my Aura that spoilt.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
The Glo HD is no longer made. I've never had an ereader break or be damaged. Whatever you buy just use a case and be careful.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Kindles and Kobos and I have had for years. I've had a few problems with the Kobos but nothing earth-shaking and nothing I couldn't live with. I did get one Kindle with a defective 3G but Amazon replaced that right away. All the others have been perfect.

Just guessing I've probably had about 12 Kindles plus a few that I bought for neighbors in the retirement home where I live. I've had about 8 Kobos and some others I bought for neighbors. I have to agree that Kindles are the more solidly built but I'm not shy about getting Kobos.

I do prefer Kindles in general. I like the small size of the Kobo Aura and I have 3 of them at present. I also have a Voyage as well as all three models of Paperwhite. If I could only keep one I think it might be the Voyage but I wouldn't be unhappy if it was one of the others.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Njall
Enthusiast
Njall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, S7 Edge, Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
The Glo HD is no longer made. I've never had an ereader break or be damaged. Whatever you buy just use a case and be careful.
I had a Kobo Glo HD ...

I dropped a Kobo Glo HD ...

I no longer have a Kobo Glo ...

I miss that Kobo Glo HD ...

I have a Kindle Paperwhite PW2 ...

I think about a Kobo Aura ONE or Aura H2O (new) ...

I want to read all formats ...

I am so confused about eReaders ...

I don't want to get the wrong one ...

I sure am glad there's MobileRead ...

I am still confused though ...

Last edited by Njall; 07-10-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: cuz I wanted one more LINEFEED
Njall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is that if the screen of the KA1 too large for you, get the H2O Edition 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Njall
Enthusiast

FWIW - Me too actually.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Kobo Aura ONE or the new Aura H2O over another Kindle (I have a PW2 right now which I just manually jailbreak-ded) or the Kindle Voyage w/o ads.

The fact that Amazon has succeeded in breaking our ability to jailbreak the Kindle Paperwhites and Voyage is advantage to Kobo. It would be nice if the Kindle read all formats; however, I'd be happy if it just also read ePub format. For that matter I'd get a Nook if it would also read mobi.

While I would have to strip the DRM from protected non-Kobo books; I'm not particularly concerned about doing that. I don't steal and I could. If I borrow a book I don't, um, make the loan permanent. Like most of the folks on MobileRead I'm not in the least interested in cheating the publishers and authors out of their due. I simply want to be able to read what I pay for where I want to read it.

I'm talking myself into the Kobo aren't I?

Between the two the Aura H2O is the cheaper and water proof. The screen is smaller than the Aura One too. I think I may have taken a paperback on a vacation to somewhere with water; however, I don't know when. And other than shampoo bottles I've never read in a bathtub.

Does anyone have any strong'ish feelings/suggestion between the Aura ONE and new Auro H2O?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Actually both the H2O and the Aura One are waterproof, so that's not a differentiating feature. The biggest difference is likely the screen size. After having the KA1 for a while I find the screen on my original H2O to be small, but preferences vary.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Njall
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Actually both the H2O and the Aura One are waterproof, so that's not a differentiating feature. The biggest difference is likely the screen size. After having the KA1 for a while I find the screen on my original H2O to be small, but preferences vary.
Good to know. Thank you!

I read a lot of fiction; however, I also read technical books and manuals. I haven't with the Paperwhite because of the small 6" screen which I found daunting when looking at diagrams and code. Have you had any experience with the Aura ONE read technical books with Auro ONE?
Old 07-11-2017, 02:48 AM   #12
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I was in the same quandary as you. I went for the KA1 in the end and don't regret it. The screen size doesn't make it feel "too big". In fact it didn't actually feel much different to my old KPW2 imho.
The front light isn't as near perfect as the Kindle but it's not at all bad and I like the night now fur reading in refunded light or darkness. I also like that you can throw just about any format at it and it works. Although, to be honest, I use calibre to convert everything to ePub or Mobi depending on my target reader.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #13
Njall
Enthusiast

Calibre... I hope Kovid Goyal makes enough money to keep going. I know I've already donated at least $20-30. And I'm sure I'll donate more in the future. Calibre is the kind of software and community that makes life always more pleasant.

I too use Calibre... a lot.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
Njall
Enthusiast

Thank you MobileRead!

You just cost me $229.

I just ordered the Kobo Aura ONE

Now to get a reasonably priced case/cover.

I hope it gets here soon!

Cuz my birthday's next week!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 AM   #15
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I'm sure you will love it
Just so you know I got this case on eBay. It's OK but a little flimsy. I find sometimes the page turns while it's closed
Does the job but I may look for a better one.
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote