Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Global Reader Going ePub

According to Publishers Weekly (June 9, 2008, p. 20):

"In mobile-Web news, MPS Mobile, a subsidiary of Macmillan Publishing Solutions, which is also owned by Holtzbrinck, made two announcements about its Global Reader platform, which gives access to digital book content via mobile phones and other Internet-enabled mobile devices in over 160 countries. The first was that MPS Mobile will adopt the IDPF ePub standard for use on the Global Reader. (...)"

The second had to do with the design of the Global Reader.

ePub expands

You can read the full article online here. --Alex

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-16-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Fixed the URL
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey good news !! i can almost feel the tower of e-babel quivering a little on its foundation. it seems to be leaning a bit, doesn't it ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hey good news !! i can almost feel the tower of e-babel quivering a little on its foundation. it seems to be leaning a bit, doesn't it ?
Are you sure you're not in Pisa?

BTW: ePub doesn't mean no DRM. DRM can be wrapped around pretty much any format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you sure you're not in Pisa?

BTW: ePub doesn't mean no DRM. DRM can be wrapped around pretty much any format.

BOb
i'm not sure where it's located, in fact ; i rather thought that if any tower could be considered virtual (and therefore every/nowhere) it would be this tower.

i know it doesn't mean no DRM. one battle at a time, though.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i know it doesn't mean no DRM. one battle at a time, though.
True, but I would rather fight the DRM battle than the format battle. Converting formats is pretty easy if there is no DRM to contend with.

BOb
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
True, but I would rather fight the DRM battle than the format battle. Converting formats is pretty easy if there is no DRM to contend with.

BOb
i would agree with you that overall DRM is a more important battle. but i think that just as the w3c webstandards project is important (and that is why i make an effort to always write valid code), a universal ebook format is important. and while format shifting may be trivial for you and me, i'm sure a lot of people less at ease with technology are intimidted by it, and that is a problem for the advancement of ebooks in general. i for one really hope that we can resolve the format chaos sooner rather than later.

i hope we can get rid of DRM sooner rather than later, as well, of course. i do think it's inevitable (look at the music industry ; it took them 10 years but they're finally getting there. i think publishing will eventually come to the same conclusions, i just hope they're a bit speedier about the process) ; not a question of "if" but of "when".
Old 06-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i would agree with you that overall DRM is a more important battle. but i think that just as the w3c webstandards project is important
I agree with everything you said.

Both a single content/layout format and a single, non-restrictive DRM format (or better none) are both important.

You told me to pick one! So, I pick DRM!!!

BOb

(I gotta learn to stop pressing the Mac end button. It doesn't do what the PC end button does.)
Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post

ePub expands

You can read the full article online here. --Alex
Might want to fix the link -- it doesn't resolve as posted.

This does work: http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6568138.html
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
lee1234
Enthusiast
lee1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader, Nokia E61
This is great! More companies are supporting epub format, but which companies' DRM will they be using? Adobe's DRM?

Or they are planning to release ebooks without DRM?
lee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
While it's great that Macmillan (Holtzbrinck), which includes Tor & St. Martin's/Minotaur, is supporting ePub (& will hopefully start releasing more titles) it won't mean much if they keep their pricing the way it is. Many titles from them are $14 list when the paperback version is $7 or $8, not to mention some titles released years ago still have hardcover pricing for the ebook version.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-18-2008 at 03:42 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
While it's great that Macmillan (Holtzbrinck), which includes Tor & St. Martin's/Minotaur, is supporting ePub (& will hopefully start releasing more titles) it won't mean much if they keep their pricing the way it is. Many titles from them are $14 list when the paperback version is $7 or $8, not to mention some titles released years ago still have hardcover pricing for the ebook version.
Releasing a new format is always a good time to review and revise the pricing. I would expect that to happen as they revisit the eBooks for ePub.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote