Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Siag Office - tiny office suite

I was searching for a spreadsheet, saw that twobob had gnumeric working at one time, but then found this: http://siag.nu/
It has more than I was planning on, but might be a good fit for this device. I'm still learning to compile things for the Kindle, and I did this on the debian image on the Kindle. From some instructions I found on the web: http://www.debian-administration.org...pirit/weblog/1
Code:
1. Install some dependencies

# aptitude install libxmu-dev libxaw7-dev libxpm-dev libncurses-dev

2. Download the latest (years-old) tar.gz files for neXtaw, XawM, Mowitz, and siag from http://www.siag.nu.

3. Untar and compile:

$ tar xvfz neXtaw-0.15.1.tar.gz
$ cd neXtaw-0.15.1
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install
$ cd ..

$ tar xvfz XawM-1.5u.tar.gz
$ cd XawM-1.5u
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install
$ cd ..

$ tar xvfz Mowitz-0.3.1.tar.gz
$ cd Mowitz-0.3.1
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install
$ cd ..

$ tar xvfz siag-3.6.1.tar.gz
$ cd siag-3.6.1
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install
$ cd ..
All compiled after a few minor glitches (probably just me), I copied it over to the Kindle and tried it out. Some programs partly worked, the file manager and the word processor, but siag the spreadsheet didn't. It gives these warnings:
Code:
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetic-medium-**CLIP**" to type FontStruct
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Panic: can't load any fonts!
These errors lead me to believe that in the configure for siag, you have the option of --with-t1lib, which should let you have more of the older type1 fonts it needs to work?? I did an apt-get of libt1 but configure can't find the library?? It could also be a problem with the locales, as the ones on the Kindle are utf8, which are not what we want for this. Not sure how to add one, even.

Anyway, I messed with this for a couple nights now and am ready to give up again. Anyone else who would like to give this a try? I had to search for each package on the web, if you want I can post them here. Doesn't take very long to get it compiled.

The word processor needs a button added or some way to enable the keyboard, the file manager isn't awesome, but might be better than the other one (pcmanfm). A spreadsheet would be handy for simple things.

I didn't bother to post it yet, as siag doesn't work. Comments? Suggestions?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Have you tried to apt-get the:
libt1-dev
package?
That should have the missing bits required at 'build time'.

But once you get it to build, I am at a loss for suggestions if it doesn't 'just work'.

Last edited by knc1; 10-03-2013 at 09:11 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://siag.nu/hypermail/siag/0069.html
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so after a bit of titting around:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Panic: can't load any fonts!

So let's find that:
[root@kindle root]# strings /mnt/us/extensions/siag/usr/bin/siag | grep helv
Quote:
*font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
Then I binary patched:
I patched it with ghex to be 14 (cos we have one of those, in the previous font packs I posted)
(you could use sed) and checked it again:
[root@kindle root]# strings /mnt/us/extensions/siag/usr/bin/siag | grep helv
Quote:
*font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
Let's add the path to the custom fonts...

(I fluffed the paths to my fonts. meh. w/e)
[root@kindle root]# xset +fp /mnt/us/extensions/siag/Mowitz/fonts/X11/100dpi/100dpi/

and run it. (probably should have embedded an rpath but the makefile was HUGLY)

[root@kindle root]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/siag/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /mnt/us/extensions/siag/usr/bin/siag
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

no explosion...
So I guess that font package I posted is looking good for the job.

Guess I need to patch the titles (or you do) or fronter it.

EDIT: gave it a poke with the
[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/extensions/fronter/bin/search.sh siag
siag
Defaulting to search window name, class, and classname

(pictured)

I did go back and patch a bit of the sources to see if I could convince the 12 to BE a 14 briefly but buggered if I can find where they hid it.

here's a quick list of the things I patched and their new values
root@kindle:/usr/local/src/siag-3.6.1# grep -R "helv" ./* | grep -v "Binary"
Quote:
./plugins/Form.ad:*font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
./plugins/form-ad.h:"*font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
./pw/examples/rtfex.rtf:{\fonttbl{\f0\froman times;}{\f1\froman Times New Roman;}{\f2\fswiss helvetica;}{\f3\froman times;}}
./xcommon/xcommon-ad.h:"*font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
./xed/Xed.ad:XedPlus*dirty.font: -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
./xed/app-defaults.h:"XedPlus*dirty.font: -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
./xfiler/xfiler-ad.h:"Xfiler*boldFont: -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
./xfiler/xfiler-ad.h:"Xfiler*iconFont: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
./xfiler/xfiler-ad.h:"Xfiler*labelFont: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
./xfiler/Xfiler.ad:Xfiler*boldFont: -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
./xfiler/Xfiler.ad:Xfiler*iconFont: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
./xfiler/Xfiler.ad:Xfiler*labelFont: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
./xpw/Pw.ad:Pw*ruler.font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
./xpw/app-defaults.h:"Pw*ruler.font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_03T21_09_30+0000.png
Views:	452
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	112752  

Last edited by twobob; 10-03-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Wow! Nice
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Wow! Nice
And after three days in the "Wilderness" he could do . . . .
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
"And he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures..."
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From all you did here, this project was just a bit over my head, I see. Still learning, THANK YOU - AGAIN!
Will you be posting it, twobob? Do you like it? Seems pretty 'old school' linux, but might be simple enough to work well for this.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
From all you did here, this project was just a bit over my head, I see. Still learning, THANK YOU - AGAIN!
Will you be posting it, twobob? Do you like it? Seems pretty 'old school' linux, but might be simple enough to work well for this.
You were mugged.

Project was broken long before you touched it.

I would have to go through it all - doubtless there are more broken references to missing fonts.

perhaps I should try patching the fonts to match the stuff we DO have available. Unsure. Might post. maybe.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
brianinmaine
Evangelist

hey don't worry about it. if it's too big a PITA, there are plenty of other software to play with, right? it just seemed like a good idea at the time. thanks for looking and doing so much!